Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Did something good happen?  (Read 53537 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Did something good happen?
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:49 am »
+3

They answered Kirian's post: http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?4202-So-who-are-you-now&p=21634&viewfull=1#post21634

Quote from: Don
All good questions you ask, Kirian. First and foremost, thank you for the thorough summary and courteous and thoughtful post. We receive many comments that aren't nearly as courteous, so we appreciate it.

We are unfortunately unable to answer some of your questions at this time. As soon as we are able to make any announcements, everyone on this forum and the Dominion Online facebook page will be the first to know. I know that's not the answer that anyone wants to hear.

What I can say is that please know that there are many employees who are working behind the scenes to fix the current game stability and login problems, and we collectively have a dedicated team that is working on developing a roadmap for new features and platforms. Dominion Online is alive and well, and will continue to be alive and well in the future. We have assembled a very passionate team (both from the past and new team members) of Dominion fans to work on updates.

Why should you believe me/us? We haven't given you any reasons yet. We need to earn or re-earn your trust and your business. As mentioned previously, we have started by putting resources on fixing the game stability/login problems, and we have made a big cultural change to the way we communicate with you, the players. We've posted more updates on the facebook page over the past week than we had all of last year. We've created a whole new forum with the hopes of creating a better community and a better way of the dev team interacting with players, like this. But this is just the beginning.

We hope everyone continues to play Dominion Online. We hope we get many thousands of new players to play. And we intend to earn everyone's business, one person at a time. This will take time, and there will be doubters and haters, but we are setting our goals high and we plan to meet them. We have a great team that has high hopes of bringing an awesome online Dominion experience to players who love Dominion. We hope many of you will give us a little bit of time and additional patience to earn your trust.

So, assuming that everything Don said is true (and naive as I am, I believe most of it (though the fact that he says that many employees working behind the scenes to solve stability issues is something even I can't believe. OTOH, if even one person works on it part-time, it is more than I expected, so that could be classified as "many")), they found another pile of money to pay some employees with. Maybe they'll finally solve some major problems next couple of months.

His response confused me... why in the world would they be unable to answer basic questions about who they are partnering with, if Making Fun is part of Goko now, etc?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
+3

I don't know much about how businesses operates, but I'd say there's a merger or similar going through, but it isn't finalised yet. So they can't really say much about the exact state of things.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:30 pm »

seems to me that most of the threads on the forum are someone saying "There's this problem with your product!" and goko saying "yeah yeah, we know, we're working on it..."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2014, 12:38:34 pm »
+4

They have the Don...!

Also he is sounding suspiciously ungrouchy....

I would say he sounds rightfully fed up in this post:

Quote from: Donald X.
Quote from: Tanya (Admin)
We are currently re-evaluating everything, including Zaps. Our first priority is to fix the game stability and login problems, and after that, our plan is to develop a roadmap for future development. We still have not made any decisions on what features and changes will be implemented next, but as soon as we make the decision, we will let everyone know. Thanks.

Well, I have no idea who decides what for this thing now. Does Jeff Mallet still work for Goko / on Dominion? He's the one who programmed the new campaign stuff that's not actually in the campaigns (or the one who got someone to program it).

It's possible you won't give any weight to my personal opinion, but perhaps you can see why I would think maybe you would, and push for what I want. I made the game. And I picked most of the sets of 10 for the campaigns, not knowing that they would be given awful starting hands.

I think obv. the stability issues are more important. In the meantime I would make the incredibly quick fix of changing every campaign level to "7 coppers 3 estates" on both sides, with 0 default zaps (still letting people use zaps because hey maybe someone gets stuck somewhere). This would make the campaigns all *playable* and just involves changing the starting hands. It seems easy and worth taking the time for because, as we speak, new players are trying to make it through the awful campaigns, and people are grinding through them to get the promos. Just fixing the starting conditions makes the levels fun; they are games of Dominion against a bot with a specific set of 10 cards. I mean failing this simple fix of 7 coppers 3 estates, I would turn off the adventures for the time being; until they are worth making fun, they are not worth having. They make this implementation of Dominion look bad, they are embarrassing.

In the long run, the main set campaign could be way better - I did not pick those sets of 10 and it's got too much repetition. And all of the other campaigns can be better, by trying to specifically do things to make for fun games of Dominion against bots. I put some work into the card mixes and special rules, someone at Goko put in some of the programming work, and it's lying around. Do you not have the information for that plan? I can send it to you.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2014, 12:47:15 pm »
+5

Yes, and the fact that he had to post it publicly indicates Goko have not been responsive to him behind the scenes, just like with everyone else over the past year.  DXV has seemed generally neutral about the whole thing (despite what crazy people getting in trollish debates with him would say) until this post.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »
+6

Yes, and the fact that he had to post it publicly indicates Goko have not been responsive to him behind the scenes, just like with everyone else over the past year.  DXV has seemed generally neutral about the whole thing (despite what crazy people getting in trollish debates with him would say) until this post.

Maybe he just recently discovered that "Tanya" is actually dondon151...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »
+1

They answered Kirian's post: http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?4202-So-who-are-you-now&p=21634&viewfull=1#post21634

We've created a whole new forum with the hopes of creating a better community

Is it just me, or am I the only one that is really disappointed that I joined this community after DXV left.  I don't think you could ever create a better community of Dominion fans than what we have on f.ds.  Unfortunately, DXV refuses to reengage this community on this forum.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 09:45:43 pm »
+1

Is it just me, or am I the only one that is really disappointed that I joined this community after DXV left.  I don't think you could ever create a better community of Dominion fans than what we have on f.ds.  Unfortunately, DXV refuses to reengage this community on this forum.

Ah, you are mistaken. That's not Donald, that's some guy named Don, who is apparently VP of Making Fun Marketing (I'm not making fun).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2014, 10:03:29 pm »
+3

VP of Making Fun Marketing (I'm not making fun).

Seriously, they're writing the jokes for us.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:32 pm »

Ah, you are mistaken. That's not Donald, that's some guy named Don, who is apparently VP of Making Fun Marketing (I'm not making fun).

oops. 

I can't read

but my point about DVX is still valid.  He obviously wants to engage with Dominion fans on some level, and he refuses to come back to the forum

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:08 pm »
+1

No no you were right, 2.71828. DXV (who I referred to above as "the Don") is there posting on their forums and that was a quote from him.

After I posted my message referring to DXV as "the Don" a Goko employee who also happens to be called Don started posting on their forums.... hence the confusion.

Oh, and in reply to your original post, yes it is disappointing that DXV doesn't post here anymore. Of course that is his right and as game designers go he has been very generous with his time and thoughts.... but I do miss his insights and his very dry sense of humour. Oh well. I guess when you feel some responsibility for your creation you feel you need to set a lot of wrongheaded posts straight and after a while that must get pretty wearysome.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:47:12 pm by cactus »

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2014, 11:55:41 pm »

So.... am I right in thinking that the only way to make a post over there is to log in with Facebook?

In which case "boo, hiss"!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:14 am »

So.... am I right in thinking that the only way to make a post over there is to log in with Facebook?

In which case "boo, hiss"!

I registered normally (without Facebook) and have successfully posted.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:42 am »

It seems like there is some sort of pending merger or transfer going on and after that there will be more transparency.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:30 am »
+2

No no you were right, 2.71828. DXV (who I referred to above as "the Don") is there posting on their forums and that was a quote from him.

After I posted my message referring to DXV as "the Don" a Goko employee who also happens to be called Don started posting on their forums.... hence the confusion.

Oh, and in reply to your original post, yes it is disappointing that DXV doesn't post here anymore. Of course that is his right and as game designers go he has been very generous with his time and thoughts.... but I do miss his insights and his very dry sense of humour. Oh well. I guess when you feel some responsibility for your creation you feel you need to set a lot of wrongheaded posts straight and after a while that must get pretty wearysome.

No, the "We've created a whole new forum with the hopes of creating a better community" quote is NOT from DXV, it is from the VP of marketing at Making Fun. Unless you were referring to another quote, in which case I don't know what quote you mean. But yes, everything else being said is true, it's sad that they felt the need to "create a better community".. in fact, it's really a slap in the face to our community...

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:01 am »
+3

No, the "We've created a whole new forum with the hopes of creating a better community" quote is NOT from DXV, it is from the VP of marketing at Making Fun. Unless you were referring to another quote, in which case I don't know what quote you mean. But yes, everything else being said is true, it's sad that they felt the need to "create a better community".. in fact, it's really a slap in the face to our community...

No, he was referring to Get Satisfaction, I think.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
+2

I think you're reading too much into it. A "better community" than the one Goko has cultivated so far is probably the idea. And it's unreasonable to expect Goko to make f.DS the official place for bug reports and feature suggestions.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2014, 11:37:05 am »

I think you're reading too much into it. A "better community" than the one Goko has cultivated so far is probably the idea. And it's unreasonable to expect Goko to make f.DS the official place for bug reports and feature suggestions.

I didn't mean to imply that they were implying "a better community than the one at F.DS." It's just that a really good community already exists, one that they've largely ignored.

And yes this definitely isn't the place for official bug reports or anything like that. But I've never thought of a good community as being a place for bug reports. Bug reports and feature requests should go in some system designed for that sort of thing (Bugzilla, etc). A forum community is a place to talk to people, discuss common interests; in this case to talk about what's going on with Goko with someone from Goko.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2014, 11:55:12 am »
+1

Interestingly, there was one adventure kingdom that played better if you didn't zap your curses back into estates. I guess most people don't want to go through all other adventures to find that one.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2014, 11:55:55 am »

Interestingly, there was one adventure kingdom that played better if you didn't zap your curses back into estates. I guess most people don't want to go through all other adventures to find that one.

Presumably either Amb or Mountebank in the kingdom?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:25 pm »

Or Fairgrounds without a curser?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2014, 02:24:02 pm »

I can imagine an Upgrade board with no useful $3s where gaining Silvers isn't as good as just removing a dead card from your deck. Or similar issues with Develop. A little far fetched though.

Or Fairgrounds without a curser?

All your Estates are Curses (I think), so you haven't gained an extra unique card. Easier to gain the Curse later, if you need it, than an Estate.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2014, 04:16:51 pm »
+6

Reading Donald talking to Tanya is extremely informative/sad/fun:

We already fixed it by your request in the past. It will be in the live site with next update.
Yes, Jeff told me that October 10th. At the time "the next update" sounded like it might happen that night or that weekend, but since it's 3.5 months later and different people are involved now, it seemed worth mentioning again.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2014, 04:31:31 pm »
+2

This one is, I think, the best.

I let know our management about your request. We are not working on anything (including Adventures) until we fix stability problems.
Let's say I assume that you guys know what you are doing, you are on the ball. What can I say, I like to be generous.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2014, 04:42:27 pm »
+2

It's good to know that Donald is disappointed with them just as we are.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 2.641 seconds with 21 queries.