Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't  (Read 50655 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: An attempt to determine what kind of behavior is badmanner and what isn't
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »

Also, no one was really rude here, or intolerant. Maybe they got annoyed when you told them their friendly gesture is actually rude, but other than that it's pretty friendly, even people making jokes.
I didn't observe anything I considered rude.
At leas that's how I perceive it. I don't assume people are rude unless there is evidence for it.
I take it that silverspawn saw "evidence" of rudeness insofar as he saw rudeness.  Apparently we disagree about what is rude.

I didn't think anyone was rude. My sentence says so, or least that's what I meant. Silverspawn was saying how people are intolerant of him and his opinions, so clearly he thought people were being rude, where I have not noticed anything but discussion and jokes.

And do you and I disagree on what is rude? Or you and Silverspawn disagree?

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »

And do you and I disagree on what is rude? Or you and Silverspawn disagree?

you were saying that you shouldn't assume people are rude without evidence, but the disagreement is about what constitutes evidence of rudeness, not whether evidence is needed.  a very minor qualification, to be sure.  (I am super literal; my wife will probably strangle me in my sleep one of these days.)

I'm with you as far as what's rude and what isn't.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:20 pm »
+2

I always considered saying "good game" a polite remark, and I say it after every game. I don't use it specifically to mean "That was a good, even, well-played, not one-sided game," I use it as "Thanks for playing a game of Dominion with me!"

I will always use it, even if it wasn't a good game. Just like I will always tell someone after I meet them that it was a pleasure to meet them, even if it wasn't actually a pleasure. It's just something that people say after a game with another player, and this thread has made me so surprised that such an ubiquitous phrase on the internet is viewed so negatively by a significant amount of people.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »

I always considered saying "good game" a polite remark, and I say it after every game. I don't use it specifically to mean "That was a good, even, well-played, not one-sided game," I use it as "Thanks for playing a game of Dominion with me!"

I will always use it, even if it wasn't a good game. Just like I will always tell someone after I meet them that it was a pleasure to meet them, even if it wasn't actually a pleasure. It's just something that people say after a game with another player, and this thread has made me so surprised that such an ubiquitous phrase on the internet is viewed so negatively by a significant amount of people.

It comes from certain other multiplayer games where there are a lot of people who use it negatively. This is one of a few reasons I generally stick to single player games when it comes to video games.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2014, 10:12:27 pm »
+4

It comes from certain other multiplayer games where there are a lot of people who use it negatively. This is one of a few reasons I generally stick to single player games when it comes to video games.

It's better with "noob" after it, if I recall correctly.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:14 pm »
+4

Everything is better with noob after it, noob
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2014, 04:45:49 pm »
+2

Everything is better with noob after it, noob

Shut up noob. We all know you're a haxor.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:49 pm »
+4

8. Having no #vpoff in the title of your game even though you clearly know about the extension and then going #vpoff during the game
Extremely bad manners. Stop it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2014, 07:37:07 pm »

8. Having no #vpoff in the title of your game even though you clearly know about the extension and then going #vpoff during the game

Isn't vpoff the default?
Well you *do* need a signature...

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 07:47:16 pm »

Isn't vpoff the default?

Sort of?  Like, there's no counter until it is turned on, but many have the mod set to turn on the counter at the beginning of the game.  #VPOFF in the game title stops that from happening.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 07:57:51 pm »

Isn't vpoff the default?
The default is that you don't care whether or not it's on.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:58 pm »
+2

Isn't vpoff the default?
The default is that you don't care whether or not it's on.

Since I almost always host my games, I just let the person joining decide. They can turn it off if they like. It's my way of balancing out the fact that I have an awesome log that I can always look at and examine.

matste

• Scout
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2014, 12:54:52 am »
+3

You are like a chess player who takes an opening book to a match and then is offended by the fact that his  opponent doesn't agree on playing with it. Or am I missing something?
Also, in the sad reality of Goko I don't want to type '#vpoff' before hosting each and every game, especially when 80% of them don't even start.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2014, 01:02:34 am »

You are like a chess player who takes an opening book to a match and then is offended by the fact that his  opponent doesn't agree on playing with it. Or am I missing something?
Also, in the sad reality of Goko I don't want to type '#vpoff' before hosting each and every game, especially when 80% of them don't even start.

If you're hosting and you care about #vpoff, then you should be putting it into your game title.  If you aren't running the addon, it saves the game title with parameters for you.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

matste

• Scout
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2014, 01:12:30 am »

If you're hosting and you care about #vpoff, then you should be putting it into your game title.  If you aren't running the addon, it saves the game title with parameters for you.
Goko saves every parameter except the game title.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2014, 01:18:06 am »
+1

The addon saves the title as well.  Seriously... you should be playing with the addon.  Worlds better.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2014, 06:49:49 am »
+3

The addon saves the title as well.  Seriously... you should be playing with the addon.  Worlds better.

This is silly, especially because there's a limited amount of space in which Goko allows you to stick stuff in the title.
I should not be compelled to play with an extra thing if I don't want to.
And I shouldn't need to try to guess at what the person joining my game will/won't want.
This is like complaining about someone not buying expansions and not saying "base only" in their table name. I mean, yeah, I want to play with expansions, but if it is really important, either host your own game, or ask before joining the table.

I have a LOT more sympathy if it's them that's joining you, where you advertise it, and then they turn it off. There I am with you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2014, 09:16:58 am »
+1

This is silly, especially because there's a limited amount of space in which Goko allows you to stick stuff in the title.

There's plenty of space in the title for all the info you need.  "All Sets 5000+ #vpoff streaming" fits easily.

I should not be compelled to play with an extra thing if I don't want to.

Talk to Goko then; it should be simple for them to save the game name as well as any other settings.  Though, again, they need to work on stability issues first.

And I shouldn't need to try to guess at what the person joining my game will/won't want.

Right, but reasonable etiquette suggests that the person joining also shouldn't have to guess what the host wants, especially when the host can tell them, before the game, in the game title.

This is like complaining about someone not buying expansions and not saying "base only" in their table name. I mean, yeah, I want to play with expansions, but if it is really important, either host your own game, or ask before joining the table.

Sure, this is why I host all my own games.

I have a LOT more sympathy if it's them that's joining you, where you advertise it, and then they turn it off. There I am with you.

The host can't advertise #vpon and then turn it off, as it's locked and overridden by #vpon in the title.  If you're hosting and absolutely hate the point counter, put #vpoff in your title, and the addon will respect that.

----

In the end, though, the last word on this is that if you want your own parameters, host your own games.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2014, 09:19:35 am »

It is not possible to turn VP counter off when there is #vpon in game title.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2014, 09:25:16 am »

Sure, this is why I host all my own games.

If all people do this you would not have anyone to play with :)

This is not an argument, just joke.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2014, 09:27:58 am »
+3

I completely agree with WanderingWinder here.  Now I'm going to say more, but don't mean to imply that WanderingWinder agrees with it, of course.

The default is that you are playing Dominion, with the rules of Dominion.  Or at least with whatever Goko has given us as an implementation.  One of the rules of Dominion is that you can't go looking looking through your deck to count your score.  You might argue that if Dominion's rules were written for an online platform rather than a physical card game that this rule wouldn't exist (or more precisely, that there would be a point tracker).  Maybe, but a lot of Dominion would be different then.  For instance, if Dominion were an online game with a point tracker, Donald probably wouldn't have made Masquerade as is.

Now sure, maybe your opponent is secretly cheating by writing notes.  But come on people, let's have some mutual respect and trust.  It is a game.

The point is, it is absurd to assume that everyone will be playing by your favorite house rule unless they say otherwise in their title for the game that they are hosting.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:52 am »

There's plenty of space in the title for all the info you need.  "All Sets 5000+ #vpoff streaming" fits easily.

That may fit, but I don't understand a single word of it, aside from (possibly) "All".

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:17 am »
+1

I'm extremely with Awaclus here.

If someone didn't put #vpoff to the title but then disabled the counter after I joined, I'd feel like I got trapped into a game I didn't want to play (and would probably even resign out of frustration).

edit:
for me #vpon signals "I want to play with the counter", #vpoff signals "I want to play without the counter" and no specification signals "I'm fine either way".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:44:25 am by Eevee »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2014, 09:47:34 am »

If someone didn't put #vpoff to the title but then disabled the counter after I joined, I'd feel like I got trapped into a game I didn't want to play (and would probably even resign out of frustration).

edit:
for me #vpon signals "I want to play with the counter", #vpoff signals "I want to play without the counter" and no specification signals "I'm fine either way".

Is this #vpon stuff done by Goko?  I was under the impression that it is from an extension that some of you install.  If it is built into Goko, then I agree.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2014, 10:00:48 am »

edit:

Is this #vpon stuff done by Goko?  I was under the impression that it is from an extension that some of you install.  If it is built into Goko, then I agree.

It's the extension (which is a google chrome add-on). But it's not automatic. If someone has it in the same, you can't turn off the counter. However, both players can always access the counter through the chat, so no one is left without it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.