Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A good illustration of how one potion can slow you down  (Read 2318 times)

paulbaxter

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
A good illustration of how one potion can slow you down
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:52:45 am »

Some obvious synergy here between Farming Village, Festival, Pawn, and Council Room (plus Border Village). Going for University just seemed too slow for me. I guess I was right, since this was perhaps the quickest and most decisive victory I've had yet.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201111/21/game-20111121-064630-5116a9f9.html

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: A good illustration of how one potion can slow you down
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:13 am »

While Universities aren't good on this board, what this seems to me to be a good illustration of is that hitting $4 on turns 3 and 4 is generally going to lose you the game. You hit $6+ three times before he does once, and only once did the Potion stop him from getting there. Even if he mirrors you he almost certainly loses this one.

paulbaxter

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 11:38:53 am »

Yet another example from today. This time with Market/Peddler/Conspirator synergy.

And before anyone else points it out, I noticed immediately after turn fifteen that I could have three piled it on that turn. And I probably should have gone with a market instead of a peddler on turn 6. I tend to get a little too excited about peddlers, especially on this sort of board where I know they are all going to go.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:38 pm »

It's very likely a player going simple Big Money will beat you (2 Council Rooms+money). Your repeated playing of Council Rooms speed the game up considerably for the BM player. Your deck will of course be far superior but there might not be enough green cards left to take the lead again.

paulbaxter

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:38:33 pm »

It's very likely a player going simple Big Money will beat you (2 Council Rooms+money). Your repeated playing of Council Rooms speed the game up considerably for the BM player. Your deck will of course be far superior but there might not be enough green cards left to take the lead again.
You may well be right. I wasn't so much making the case that my play was optimal per se, just that it was a better strategy than going for Universities.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:59:24 pm »

Your strategy was certainly better than the University which is even slower to set up. And if you add Militia/Ghost Ship to this setup the engine becomes superior to the Big Money deck.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:04:08 pm by Geronimoo »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »

Border villages look a much better bet than universities in your first game. This is confirmed by your 5/2 starts which mean that by the time you've bought a potion, bought a university, gained a card, then finally played the card, the game is nearly over.

paulbaxter

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:21:10 pm »

This game seems like a sort of worst case scenario for misuse of potion play. I guess the $5 attacks looked SOOOOO tempting.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/14/game-20111214-171840-7d331be9.html
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.022 seconds with 20 queries.