Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: A sad noob case. (Re: effective trashing)  (Read 17881 times)

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
Re: A sad noob case. (Re: effective trashing)
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:50 am »
+1

Besides the special trash pile stuff with Dark Ages (my next expansion), how does having more expansions make trashing stronger?
Better cards that do things other than money.  Trashing is a relatively limited value strategy in the base set because engines have less value, because big money is stronger and engine potential is limited, and because junking attacks are less frequent and less painful.  Witch is nothing compared to Mountebank or Ambassador.  When you compare the base set's engine potential (village/smithy/market, say) to something like the Golden Deck which is impossible in the base set and impossible without strong use of trashing, or to a Goons engine, or to a deck getting hit by Mountebanks every turn, you see the value of trashing a lot more.  Trashing also gets stronger as trash-for-benefit becomes more prevalent - againi, see Bishop, but also Scavenger, Apprentice etc.  TFB is very limited in the base set, but can be a dominant strategy on some expansion boards.

When BM is strong, trashing is weak and will tend to seem weak.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 04:31:22 pm »
+1

You could try a simple argument:

So if  all cards are good then I would give you a advantage, you will start with 6 estates and 14 coppers. This might not be enough, so I will take additional disadvantage and will start with only three coppers.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »

So if  all cards are good then I would give you a advantage, you will start with 6 estates and 14 coppers. This might not be enough, so I will take additional disadvantage and will start with only three coppers.

Three coppers may not be a good idea, but getting rid of your estates would be great.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2014, 10:31:58 pm »

Three coppers may not be a good idea, but getting rid of your estates would be great.

Actually, the other way around might be better because he will win less (thus showing it's bad).  Your opponent winning less is more noticeable than you opponent winning even more.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 12:22:44 am »

Am I the only one who read Ozle's post as a satirical attack of the earlier mentioned sexist trope?

Or just Ozle trolling
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2014, 01:19:24 pm »

Am I the only one who read Ozle's post as a satirical attack of the earlier mentioned sexist trope?

Or just Ozle trolling
earlier mentioned where?

(As a general note: we all live in a sexist/racist/generally messed up culture, so we all will make mistakes and do things that reinforce prejudice/whatever.  It's not a big deal to do it, and it shouldn't be a big deal to point it out either.)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »

Or just Ozle trolling
earlier mentioned where?

(As a general note: we all live in a sexist/racist/generally messed up culture, so we all will make mistakes and do things that reinforce prejudice/whatever.  It's not a big deal to do it, and it shouldn't be a big deal to point it out either.)

Earlier mentioned as in the one Kuildeous brought up. Not that it had been brought up before Ozle posted.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:09 am »

Gotcha.  (Took me like ten minutes...)
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 11:11:02 am »

How that is so? Just pure BM will do job.
First five turns are s,s,g,g,g.then province, gold, silver in that order of preference.
I wrote a quick script to simulate shuffles and it gets to 4 provinces at turn 11, six at turn 15 How would you beat that except by combo like tr-tr-bridge-bridge-bridge hand?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 11:33:45 am »

How that is so? Just pure BM will do job.
First five turns are s,s,g,g,g.then province, gold, silver in that order of preference.
I wrote a quick script to simulate shuffles and it gets to 4 provinces at turn 11, six at turn 15 How would you beat that except by combo like tr-tr-bridge-bridge-bridge hand?
At first, I understood your post as "I start with a deck of three Estates and only three Coppers".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.507 seconds with 20 queries.