Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In which I come back from a 9-1 ruins split.  (Read 1164 times)

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
In which I come back from a 9-1 ruins split.
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:23:04 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140111/log.50d6b220e4b09896b61dc562.1389463320645.txt

kingdom: Chapel, Forager, Fortune Teller, Urchin, Horse Traders, Bazaar, Cultist, Laboratory, Upgrade, Wharf

In this game I thought I was screwed after my opponent stringed together all his cultists and gave me 9 of ten ruins after about 12 turns, but I still had hope because of wharf which I got early but my opponent mostly ignored. It turns out wharf is still as awesome as I thought and I manged to come back for the win. The early chapel buy is probably what saved me because it let me trash the ruins quickly (I thought I was unlucky to get a hand of 3 estates 2 copper :)) . And I feel like I used cultists on trash quite effectively (turn 12 and turn 15) which is a rare occurrence for me.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: In which I come back from a 9-1 ruins split.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »

I think he played really badly. Here I think you would want Upgrade after the Cultist chain, to get Golds from the Cultists and the on-trash is great for a non-terminal trasher.

The Wharf + Chapel/Forager option and totally ignoring Cultist seems good also. Cultist without Upgrade afterwards seems weak to me, and I do not like combining both Cultist and Wharf, because it reduces the power of Cultist.

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
Re: In which I come back from a 9-1 ruins split.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »

In hindsight I would probably ignore cultist. I just sort of saw cultist and thought 'hey that's a good card ill buy it' and then saw wharf and thought 'hey another good card ill buy these too'. Which is of course a terrible way to play; decks need focus. My favorite example of this is one game where my brother saw wharf and menagerie and thought 'hey those are both awesome cards' and failed to notice the anti-synergy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.201 seconds with 20 queries.