Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: New Player!  (Read 40275 times)

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
Re: New Player!
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:15 am »

also as for what expansion to get as a beginner i like seaside a lot. ;) but thats on yourself to decide ;)

In my opinion, Seaside is not very good for beginners. It has some concepts that are rather difficult to understand when you don't have general experience of the game.

(Remembering myself, that didn't quite like Tactician and Haven when I first saw them, kinda thought that duration cards were not good for engine -what a hilarious mistake there! :P- and that Treasure Map and Embargo are for extremely rare cases. Also Native Village is generally quite hard to handle.)

I would recommend buying sets in the following order, starting from the Set that includes cards that are easier to understand and more fun to play with, and moving to Sets that include cards that are not so easy to understand and handle and can create some more complex strategies:

Dominion (Base), Intrigue, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Alchemy, Seaside, Cornucopia, Dark Ages, Guilds.

Awesome, that was pretty much the order I was going to go in!  Thanks! 

I actually thought of another question.  Since your 10 cards that you build for your kingdom are being used by both you and any other player(s), if you build your kingdom cards according to a certain strategy, doesn't the other player have to use that same strategy?  I feel that kind of takes away from the...strategy of it lol.  I hope that makes sense.

And for the expansions that add extra VP cards (like colony) and Platinum, how often are those played in games?  Or do most people stick to the base set VP and Money cards and add in expansion cards to the kingdom cards?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 08:40:27 am »

I actually thought of another question.  Since your 10 cards that you build for your kingdom are being used by both you and any other player(s), if you build your kingdom cards according to a certain strategy, doesn't the other player have to use that same strategy?  I feel that kind of takes away from the...strategy of it lol.  I hope that makes sense.

There are some strategies that are simply super dominant and both players will go for that strategy.  When this occurs it is called a mirror.  For example, one of the Dark Ages cards, Rebuild, often becomes a game where both players play the same strategy, and there is even an article written on the Rebuild Mirror.  However, in a large number of games the strategic value of one strategy over another is minimal.  Or one strategy might be a "long game" strategy that would win, but it loses to (or defeats) a player using a rush strategy.  The best thing to do is to analyze the board at the beginning and look for various things that will indicate a certain strategy.  Is there good trashing?  Are there a lot of terminals or cantrips (is an engine viable?)?  Once you think about these things you develop your strategy.  But of course, this takes playing a lot of games to get a feel for it and even after playing thousands of games myself I am still very much prone to not evaluating the board correctly and choosing a strategy that results in a loss.  AdamH does a good job in his youtube videos analyzing the kingdom, you might want to check those out.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 09:11:18 am »

And for the expansions that add extra VP cards (like colony) and Platinum, how often are those played in games?  Or do most people stick to the base set VP and Money cards and add in expansion cards to the kingdom cards?
When you have randomized your 10 kingdom cards, you take one of them at random and if it's from the Prosperity expansion, you use Colonies and Platinums.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 09:27:38 am »

When you have randomized your 10 kingdom cards, you take one of them at random and if it's from the Prosperity expansion, you use Colonies and Platinums.

And if they aren't random?  :D

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:09 am »

Then you can decide whether or not you want to use Colonies and Platinums. I recommend playing with randomized kingdoms though, that way it's much more interesting.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 09:49:10 am »

Then you can decide whether or not you want to use Colonies and Platinums. I recommend playing with randomized kingdoms though, that way it's much more interesting.

That's true lol.  Though I like the kingdom building ability on Goko.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 10:02:40 am »

I recommend playing with randomized kingdoms though, that way it's much more interesting.

False. It is easier online, though, and uniform random across everything you own is better than trying to pick your own interesting kingdoms when you are just starting out, because when you are just starting out, you don't really know what to look for. Random forces you to find cool interactions in the cards rather than going for ones you know are there; however, you are likely to get some pretty boring games, too.

However, if you can, play through the recommended sets in the instructions several times. Also check out additional recommended sets on the wiki if you want to maximize interestingness of your first 50-100 games. Especially if you are learning with friends and family in person.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2014, 10:11:18 am »

Personally, I have a HTML page that randomizes games by picking two expansions and then picking half the cards from each. So it creates sets like the recommended sets of 10, but random. It's a good way to learn the cards from a new set while still playing random games. It would also allow you to buy all the cards at once, saving money, but still ease yourself into random games without including everything at once.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:17:50 am by LastFootnote »

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 10:11:51 am »

I recommend playing with randomized kingdoms though, that way it's much more interesting.

False. It is easier online, though, and uniform random across everything you own is better than trying to pick your own interesting kingdoms when you are just starting out, because when you are just starting out, you don't really know what to look for. Random forces you to find cool interactions in the cards rather than going for ones you know are there; however, you are likely to get some pretty boring games, too.

However, if you can, play through the recommended sets in the instructions several times. Also check out additional recommended sets on the wiki if you want to maximize interestingness of your first 50-100 games. Especially if you are learning with friends and family in person.

I was definitely going to play with the recommended sets in the instructions once I played through the base campaign.  I'd probably just play against bots.  Where are the recommended sets on the wiki though?  I couldn't find them.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
+1

I was definitely going to play with the recommended sets in the instructions once I played through the base campaign.  I'd probably just play against bots.  Where are the recommended sets on the wiki though?  I couldn't find them.

The ones in the wiki are also the ones in the instructions, I believe. They're just consolidated there.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Recommended_Kingdoms
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:17:09 am by LastFootnote »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 10:22:23 am »

The ones in the wiki are also the ones in the instructions, I believe. They're just consolidated there.

The wiki also has Donald X designed ones for past competitions and the past kingdom design contest winners.

This site also does the randomization by expansion (just uncheck boxes; it breaks up expansions like Goko, too). If you want uniform random, select that option, too.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 10:23:49 am »

The wiki also has Donald X designed ones for past competitions and the past kingdom design contest winners.

This site also does the randomization by expansion (just uncheck boxes; it breaks up expansions like Goko, too). If you want uniform random, select that option, too.

So do most people play with randomized kingdoms or do they make their own?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 10:27:34 am »

Ugh, that's right. That site still exists. Full disclosure, that randomizer was created in an attempt to generate "interesting" Kingdoms. Of course the problem is that what's interesting to the guy who wrote it may or may not be interesting to you. Personally I'm not a fan of it.

Also, if you don't use the "Generate a Uniform Set!" button, some cards will show up more often than others, sometimes dramatically so.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:28:40 am by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 10:29:54 am »

People nearly always play with randomized kingdoms.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 10:37:00 am »

Gatcha.  That's how I'll get used to playing then.  I keep losing on 15 of the base campaign.  The AI plays witches and I'm trying to flat out ignore them and go for a Village/Smithy/Laboratory combo to get my provinces but he always gets lucky shuffles and draws and will draw like all his coins in one hand and then the next one and next one.  Idk what I'm doing wrong.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 10:39:51 am »

Gatcha.  That's how I'll get used to playing then.  I keep losing on 15 of the base campaign.  The AI plays witches and I'm trying to flat out ignore them and go for a Village/Smithy/Laboratory combo to get my provinces but he always gets lucky shuffles and draws and will draw like all his coins in one hand and then the next one and next one.  Idk what I'm doing wrong.

In a 2-player game, especially with just the Base Set, you really can't ignore Witch almost ever. My advice is to buy your own Witch(es).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:11 am »
+1

Have you ever played Bridge or Spades or Hearts?  It is kind of like that.  Analogize the initial deal to the kingdom -- sometimes a random deal can be somewhat boring, and you can see the appeal of in certain situations creating "custom" deals that are fun/instructive.  But the "pure" Dominion experience is completely random sets.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 10:41:43 am »

In a 2-player game, especially with just the Base Set, you really can't ignore Witch almost ever. My advice is to buy your own Witch(es).

The witches aren't the problem.  This time around he only got 3 off.  The problem is the BS hands he keeps getting.  Three hands in a row were pure money.  Then like 2 more after that were all +Action/+Card draws which gave him more money to get more provinces.  Witches aren't the problem lol.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 10:44:16 am »

The witches aren't the problem.  This time around he only got 3 off.  The problem is the BS hands he keeps getting.  Three hands in a row were pure money.  Then like 2 more after that were all +Action/+Card draws which gave him more money to get more provinces.  Witches aren't the problem lol.

Witches are at least part of the problem. One of the reasons you're not getting hands full of money is the Curses in your deck.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:30 am »

Witches are at least part of the problem. One of the reasons you're not getting hands full of money is the Curses in your deck.

That's true...I'll try matching his Witches with Moats 1:1

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:47 am »
+9

Let us know how that goes.  As a hint, though, I think you will have more success fighting fire with fire, instead of fighting fire with a fire extinguisher that only works if you happen to be holding it while the fire is breaking out.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

Let us know how that goes.  As a hint, though, I think you will have more success fighting fire with fire, instead of fighting fire with a fire extinguisher that only works if you happen to be holding it while the fire is breaking out.

...attempt #4 or 5 - lost.  He keeps getting such BS hands.  I'll try your idea though of getting Witches too.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:06 am »
+1

Note also that the Witch includes +2 cards, which means he's running with 6 card hands when he draws the Witches, which makes him more likely to have enough money to buy, first Gold, then Provinces.  The extra draw also lets him shuffle faster, so he's seeing those Witches and money faster.

Edit: In other words, they're not BS hands, even though they feel like they are.  I know exactly how it feels.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:58 am »

Note also that the Witch includes +2 cards, which means he's running with 6 card hands when he draws the Witches, which makes him more likely to have enough money to buy, first Gold, then Provinces.  The extra draw also lets him shuffle faster, so he's seeing those Witches and money faster.

Edit: In other words, they're not BS hands, even though they feel like they are.  I know exactly how it feels.

Didn't think of it that way, thanks!

EDIT: It went...better...but still didn't win.  And by BS hands I mean his entire hand is money and not VP.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:03:04 am by WNxTyr4el »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 11:04:55 am »
+1

Are you implying that you have hands full of "VP"?  Have you purchased any Estates/Duchies other than your starting three Estates?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 2.429 seconds with 22 queries.