Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lost, becouse unknown leave  (Read 7887 times)

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Lost, becouse unknown leave
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:43:04 pm »
+5

First, pleals excuse my english. Its not my mother language and im dyslexic, so its hard for me.
I was realy hard winning this game, and then, its happened: unknowen is leaving the game. Next thing, the victory screen told me how awesome i am and the game ends.Strange thing, becouse there wasent 3 stacks empty and the prov/coly wasent gone (And no stack gones empty, this turn). But the realy strang thing was, the leaderboard sreen tolde me that im not so awesome and he take some of my leaderboard points. I was leveld downe after a victory! I donte like youe, unknown, youe stolen my victory!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Lost, becouse unknown leave
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:47:19 pm »

First, pleals excuse my english. Its not my mother language and im dyslexic, so its hard for me.
I was realy hard winning this game, and then, its happened: unknowen is leaving the game. Next thing, the victory screen told me how awesome i am and the game ends.Strange thing, becouse there wasent 3 stacks empty and the prov/coly wasent gone (And no stack gones empty, this turn). But the realy strang thing was, the leaderboard sreen tolde me that im not so awesome and he take some of my leaderboard points. I was leveld downe after a victory! I donte like youe, unknown, youe stolen my victory!

Maybe he quit? Or resigned? And Goko makes you lose points even if you win when you play someone who is a lot lower in ranking than you. It's stupid, but that's how it works.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 04:49:28 pm »

There are several things that can be happening. The two more likely are: 1. It is possible to lose points for a victory, because your ranking is the result of some formula we do not know, but probably involves some variance indication, and variance may go up when you win. 2. Sometimes Goko messes up the queries and calculates the ranking increase/decrase using outdated numbers. You can check in the lobbies your actual ranking, some times I have observed it differs from the ranking I see in the after-victory page.

I don't think resigning has anything to do with it.

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »

nop i was ranked down. And she(?) was 500 point lower thane i was and i lost 85 points. thats hard for a 25 to -5 victory. And she dosent resigning, she leave after the unknow visiter have abort the game.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:01:45 pm »

nop i was ranked down. And she(?) was 500 point lower thane i was and i lost 85 points. thats hard for a 25 to -5 victory. And she dosent resigning, she leave after the unknow visiter have abort the game.

It's possible you didn't lose the points, it just showed that. I've won games, then it shows that I lost 45 points of something, then my actual rating went up by 45 points.

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »

No i looked. i was realy ranked down.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:19:53 pm »

Their ranking system does weird, weird things.

The "unknown leaves" is a known bug and seems to have no actual effect on the game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 07:12:28 pm »

A lot of people have suggested strange reasons why Goko ranking are not calculated correctly but it basically comes down to bugs. The system is at fault. It's a long standing bug. Play again and hope the rankings work next time.

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:28:43 pm »

play again and hope the rankings work next time.

Hm, did someone remember the good old time? The time when Dominion was bug free and the lighthouse has protect you from the possession?
Rest in Peace, Iso.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:39:25 pm »
+3

play again and hope the rankings work next time.

Hm, did someone remember the good old time? The time when Dominion was bug free and the lighthouse has protect you from the possession?
Rest in Peace, Iso.

Possession isn't an attack, Lighthouse does not stop it.

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »

Upps, possession is not an attack? This is in the real live the only card i never played with. So i was sure the possession must be an attack and that the lighthouse not works an bug, like that the opponent see my hand after i was possesed.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:11 pm »

Upps, possession is not an attack? This is in the real live the only card i never played with. So i was sure the possession must be an attack and that the lighthouse not works an bug, like that the opponent see my hand after i was possesed.

The reason it's not an attack is because you cannot hurt your opponents deck with it. If you trash a card, it goes back to their deck at the end of the turn. Also, you can just as easily hit a hand with only victory cards, which is actually beneficial to the opponent.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:55:25 pm »

The reason it's not an attack is because you cannot hurt your opponents deck with it. If you trash a card, it goes back to their deck at the end of the turn. Also, you can just as easily hit a hand with only victory cards, which is actually beneficial to the opponent.

That reminds me of the game where my opponent played KC-Possession and didn't do anything all three turns...  That was amazing...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:27 pm »

There are a good number of exceptions: Ambassador, Masquerade, Spoils, Madman, Island, Outpost (Outpost would not hurt their deck, but would hurt their next turn), to a lesser extent Native Village, coin tokens. Also, you can use their deck inspection cards (like Apothecary, Navigator, Cartographer, even Spy, Duchess, Oracle and Survivors) as deck mockery attacks, and similarly with Mandarin, Inn, Scavenger, Count, Herbalist, Scheme, Stash and even Chancellor and Trusty Steed.

So, I am probably forgetting cases, but Possession can definitely be an Attack, in the sense that you can do things to their deck or turn you could not do in another way.

Also, lots of Attacks can benefit the attacked. You may want Curses to Ambassador or for Trade Rute or Forager fodder. Discard Attacks can activate Menagerie or Tunnel. Deck inspection Attacks may leave some dead card on top for you to Native Village away, and probably a lot of other cases.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:00:05 pm by soulnet »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 11:46:56 pm »

There are a good number of exceptions: Ambassador, Masquerade, Spoils, Madman, Island, Outpost (Outpost would not hurt their deck, but would hurt their next turn), to a lesser extent Native Village, coin tokens. Also, you can use their deck inspection cards (like Apothecary, Navigator, Cartographer, even Spy, Duchess, Oracle and Survivors) as deck mockery attacks, and similarly with Mandarin, Inn, Scavenger, Count, Herbalist, Scheme, Stash and even Chancellor and Trusty Steed.

So, I am probably forgetting cases, but Possession can definitely be an Attack, in the sense that you can do things to their deck or turn you could not do in another way.

Also, lots of Attacks can benefit the attacked. You may want Curses to Ambassador or for Trade Rute or Forager fodder. Discard Attacks can activate Menagerie or Tunnel. Deck inspection Attacks may leave some dead card on top for you to Native Village away, and probably a lot of other cases.

There are exceptions, but then it is not possession that attacks, but it's the interaction with those cards that can be harmful.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 02:17:16 am »
+1

Possession would be so swingy as an attack. Your opponent blocks it; you just wasted your $6P buy.

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 05:17:41 am »

I think its on of the hard attacks, becouse its change the whole gameplay, like no other card. You try to get a bad hand next turn, so that your opponent get a bad Possession and he trys the same withe the possessed hand. And ther are so many hard thinges you can do if you are possessed, like assamblor a prov, island on a Possession, or a good Cartographer, so your hands good to your opponent and he leave your bad hands. Of course many attacks, like the island, are the faulte of the player how buy this, but you can use the Possession as a realy flexible attack.
But the Possession works as a attack with out any combo. (like the minion). The minion can take a Good/bad hand and give you a bad/good hand. Like the Possession. Okay, you lose a card on the minion, but in a good Possession strike its possible you never ever see a good hand again. And this is a ability that needs no special combo cards. (Okay its not so easy to play as the minion attack, but it can be stronger)
Finally I think the Possession is a realy hard attack.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 05:45:42 am »

The minion can take a Good/bad hand and give you a bad/good hand. Like the Possession. Okay, you lose a card on the minion, but in a good Possession strike its possible you never ever see a good hand again.
That requires incredibly bad shuffle luck. On average, that effect helps the opponent, because cycling is good for you. The card you lose when a Minion is played against you makes all the difference in the world.

A Council Room can make your good cards miss the reshuffle and that can be bad for you, but on average, drawing a card helps you so it's not an Attack. The same is true for Possession.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 06:40:08 am »

For me, Possession isn't an attack for the same reason Tribute isn't an attack: You're primarily using another player's deck to benefit yourself. Specifically, you're using the deck of the opponent on your left. In a 3+ player game, it wouldn't really make sense to have the player on your right reveal Moat to Possession, since only the player to your left is getting Possessed.

If you Possessed everyone, then it could potentially be considered an attack. The way it works now, it would just be quite political if it was an attack.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:41:23 am by markusin »

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 07:54:58 am »

BTW, I agree is better that Possession is not an Attack, I just pointed out that the use of the card may harm the Possessed player like the use of other non-Attacks cannot. I also think that interactive cards that give "benefits" to the opponents (Council Room, Governor, Embassy) should maybe considered Attacks, because some times getting a Silver, and more rarely drawing a card, can be harmful. Or maybe bonuses for the opponents should be optional.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:18 am »

BTW, I agree is better that Possession is not an Attack, I just pointed out that the use of the card may harm the Possessed player like the use of other non-Attacks cannot. I also think that interactive cards that give "benefits" to the opponents (Council Room, Governor, Embassy) should maybe considered Attacks, because some times getting a Silver, and more rarely drawing a card, can be harmful. Or maybe bonuses for the opponents should be optional.
Yeah, I agree that the forced "compensation" given to your opponents by those cards can be damaging enough to make them attacks. However, I think new players would be confused if they see Council Room being an attack. Also, IGG isn't considered an attack card, so why should Embassybe considered one.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 10:19:44 am »

Yeah, I agree that the forced "compensation" given to your opponents by those cards can be damaging enough to make them attacks. However, I think new players would be confused if they see Council Room being an attack. Also, IGG isn't considered an attack card, so why should Embassybe considered one.

Well, IGG and Noble Brigands on-gain are not Attacks because of wording issues. I guess Embassy would also not be an Attack, even if the others were. I think the cleanest way would be to make the benefit to the opponents optional, thus making it effectively not an Attack.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:21 pm »

I think the reason Possession can't be an attack is that attacks aren't targetted in multiplayer.

Lord_Snow

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:06 pm »

I think the reason Possession can't be an attack is that attacks aren't targetted in multiplayer.

I think thise is a realy good argument. The Masquerade, the Possession, the Tribute are all no attacks, and there all have a target. And realy, why is the Masquerade not an attack, but the Ambassador is on? They are different, but bothe gave your opponent on of your bad cards. But the no attack has a target.
And realy, its difficuled to react on an attack that dosent target me.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 02:22:03 pm »
+1

like that the opponent see my hand after i was possesed.
also not a bug.  clean up includes drawing 5 new cards, and this happens at the end of the possessed turn.  from the rulebook:
Clean-up phase - the player must discard both played and unplayed cards and draws five new cards.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.