Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Longest game in a while  (Read 2106 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Longest game in a while
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:19:39 pm »
+1

This game was insanely long. I don't know if he just didn't know what he was doing or what, but wow this was like at least 30mins. Every decision seemed to take him a solid 10 seconds, like every card. Maybe it just felt that long, but still.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131220/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1387581154047.txt

Code: [Select]
Pawn, Develop, Storeroom, Feodum, Talisman, City, Embassy, Merchant Ship, Mint, Mystic
It's not even that great a board. I go Embassy BM, and he goes... Cities? I have 6 Colonies before he really starts to get anything, and it's great he can pull up $50, but he can't buy points because I have too many already. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
Re: Longest game in a while
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:22:33 pm »

You're not giving him enough credit!  It's a tough board, and he played a more challenging strategy than you did. 

Feoda were always gonna be kind of a longshot, but it seems possible that if he had pulled his deck in the perfect order on his last turn, he could have won.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:25:18 pm by dghunter79 »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:41:23 pm »

You're not giving him enough credit!  It's a tough board, and he played a more challenging strategy than you did. 

Feoda were always gonna be kind of a longshot, but it seems possible that if he had pulled his deck in the perfect order on his last turn, he could have won.

He did, but it required buying all 10 Cities, then emptying a second pile (true pawn is an easy pile to empty), and Embassy is a good BM card so he then has to catch up on my lead. I don't agree with his play.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »

He did, but it required buying all 10 Cities, then emptying a second pile (true pawn is an easy pile to empty), and Embassy is a good BM card so he then has to catch up on my lead. I don't agree with his play.

Now that I look more closely, you're absolutely right, he didn't go for Feodum until the end.  He just wandered around for a while with Cities.  Definitely, he shouldn't have emptied the Pawns.  The 2nd pile should have been Feoda.  And it's a tough strategy cause it's pretty trivial for the Embassy player to buy Feoda out from under him.  But, I definitely would have gone for it. 

Open Develop/Silver?  (Storeroom/Silver?)  First, rush the Cities with an Embassy or two, and hopefully a well-timed Mint buy, buy out Feoda, and then try and mega-buy a ton of Silvers using Minted Talismans.  That would probably lose to BM-Embassy most of the time.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:29 pm »

Now that I look more closely, you're absolutely right, he didn't go for Feodum until the end.  He just wandered around for a while with Cities.  Definitely, he shouldn't have emptied the Pawns.  The 2nd pile should have been Feoda.  And it's a tough strategy cause it's pretty trivial for the Embassy player to buy Feoda out from under him.  But, I definitely would have gone for it. 

Open Develop/Silver?  (Storeroom/Silver?)  First, rush the Cities with an Embassy or two, and hopefully a well-timed Mint buy, buy out Feoda, and then try and mega-buy a ton of Silvers using Minted Talismans.  That would probably lose to BM-Embassy most of the time.

It probably would, although it is a cool idea. I was impressed with the amount of money we was generating by the end. It was just way too late to catch up.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:05:22 pm »
+4

Such a lovely set. Engine seems close to unplayable on regular draws, but he doesn't get regular draws. I fully agree with his plan, just not with his execution.
He starts with Pawn/Marchant Ship/Mint/Develop, against your Develop/Silver/Silver/Silver.
On your turn 5 you donate him a Silver, and now it's time to think.

Rushing the Cities is nice in theory, but they cost $5, and until you get them all they basically do nothing.
So my plan would be to get some cities but rush the pawns. You can get them much, much faster.

Turn 5 - get a pawn, not a silver. Silver is an ugly card in an engine, especially one struggling for draw.
Turn 6 - get a pawn, not a storeroom. Storeroom is a strange buy I think. What does it accomplish?
Turn 7 - get 4 pawns, not a city.
Turn 8 - get a city, not an embassy. Embassy looks nice because it reads 'draw 5' but it's quite disappointing in an engine.
Turn 9 - get 4 pawns again, activate your city and soon get more.

Off course I don't know how a different turn 5 would affect the rest of the draws, but it sure feels like a better (and winning!) plan.
There is no need to fear that you would also be going cities after he activates them. You have been buying money all game, and his engine is much more compact.
If you don't go for cities, he probably shouldn't buy more then 7.
Join the Dominion League!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 11:35:41 pm »

Such a lovely set. Engine seems close to unplayable on regular draws, but he doesn't get regular draws. I fully agree with his plan, just not with his execution.
He starts with Pawn/Marchant Ship/Mint/Develop, against your Develop/Silver/Silver/Silver.
On your turn 5 you donate him a Silver, and now it's time to think.

Rushing the Cities is nice in theory, but they cost $5, and until you get them all they basically do nothing.
So my plan would be to get some cities but rush the pawns. You can get them much, much faster.

Turn 5 - get a pawn, not a silver. Silver is an ugly card in an engine, especially one struggling for draw.
Turn 6 - get a pawn, not a storeroom. Storeroom is a strange buy I think. What does it accomplish?
Turn 7 - get 4 pawns, not a city.
Turn 8 - get a city, not an embassy. Embassy looks nice because it reads 'draw 5' but it's quite disappointing in an engine.
Turn 9 - get 4 pawns again, activate your city and soon get more.

Off course I don't know how a different turn 5 would affect the rest of the draws, but it sure feels like a better (and winning!) plan.
There is no need to fear that you would also be going cities after he activates them. You have been buying money all game, and his engine is much more compact.
If you don't go for cities, he probably shouldn't buy more then 7.
Yes, emptying Pawns first would probably have won the game, or at least made it really close. I don't disagree with Storeroom for him, but only after getting level 2 cities and emptying the Pawns.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.705 seconds with 21 queries.