Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: The Board Game  (Read 3962 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Dominion: The Board Game
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:28:36 pm »

So a reliable source (my personal speculation) tells me that there is going to be a Dominion Board game. But how would such a spin-off work? I'll tell you how: I have no idea!

Ok, joking. I have some idea. Here's what I'm thinking: Players having their own pawn on a board. On your turn you can spend an 'action' moving from one space to another. You then activate the power of that space. You can then buy cards, add them to your deck. When you play them, they go on the board in an available space adjacent to your kingdom. The cards themselves would be tweaked, but +1 Action can turn into 'Move to an adjacent space'. So building a bunch of laboratories on your turn can be 'chained' by moving down the line.

Probably will never happen, and if it does it would be much more cleverer than my idea. But who (besides DXV) knows. So, what are your ideas?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2020
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: The Board Game
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:58:41 pm »

If the read the Secret History of Kingdom Builder, it started off as pretty much Dominion with a board, and then ended up losing the cards element. So that might give you some indication.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »
+1

You could make it a tile-placement game. You'll have a board which expands like like a Carcassonne board; however, instead of the fundamental mechanic being "each turn, draw a tile and place a tile" it would be "each turn, move your pawn one space and do what that tile says". Then you could have tiles which say things like "take a tile and add it to your board" or "move your pawn two spaces and do what those tiles say" or "pick up resources" or "trade resources for [tiles, or pawn movement, or other resources, or points]". Cut out the cards entirely.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:53:44 pm »

One night, I dreamt about a "Dominion Monopoly". I was pretty mad !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:28:50 pm »

You could make it a tile-placement game. You'll have a board which expands like like a Carcassonne board; however, instead of the fundamental mechanic being "each turn, draw a tile and place a tile" it would be "each turn, move your pawn one space and do what that tile says". Then you could have tiles which say things like "take a tile and add it to your board" or "move your pawn two spaces and do what those tiles say" or "pick up resources" or "trade resources for [tiles, or pawn movement, or other resources, or points]". Cut out the cards entirely.
For about a month, I'm creating a game with that kind of mechanic...

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:14:56 pm »

For about a month, I'm creating a game with that kind of mechanic...
Apparently the idea is quite obvious then, considering that I also toyed around with such a game last summer. I got as far as designing the basic mechanics and drafting the first version of the tile collection, but then left the project due to just not having enough time/interest for it. I never produced an actual prototype and I would have needed some more time to polish the design before that would have made sense anyway.

My game had several pawns for each player (with "get a new pawn" as one of the basic actions) and it also had a shared board with possibility to use other player's tiles, though not without some effort.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 04:23:56 pm »

Yep it seems the idea is not that innovative. It have the possibility to use other player's tiles too.
But otherwise I think my prototype is enough different from the basic idea, and seeing this thread I have some new ideas to change the game a little bit more.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 06:57:27 pm »
+1

That's also slightly similar to what I've heard about the gameplay of Fluxx: The Board Game (which is allegedly more strategic than Fluxx: The Card Game, a descriptor on par with "less of a money-grabbing cash-in than the various versions of Monopoly").

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:02 pm »

This is also pretty similar to Infinite City.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:34:46 am »
+18

There's only one answer to what a Dominion board game will be like:

It depends on the board.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 09:40:40 am »
+3

It's already pretty easy to make Dominion a bored game: just go Big Money in a Scrying Pool game and sit through 10 minute turns from your opponent. 

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »
+2

It's already pretty easy to make Dominion a bored game: just go Big Money in a Scrying Pool game and sit through 10 minute turns from your opponent.

Watch them with their scrying pool-hamlet-pawn-cartographer-count-navigator-steward engine... ugh.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 12:49:18 pm »

Watch them with their scrying pool-hamlet-pawn-cartographer-count-navigator-steward engine... ugh.

You forgot KC  ;)
and add any VP or Coin Token-giving card (when playing IRL), it takes hours to add a token every single time played monument/CSM, whatever.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.004 seconds with 22 queries.