Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Things you would change other than for balance  (Read 1758 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2148
    • View Profile
Things you would change other than for balance
« on: February 04, 2013, 10:45:07 pm »
+1

This is not a topic about balance or setting things right, but rather things that would have been cool for cards.

I'll start:

Inn
Action $5
+2 Cards
Discard any number of cads. For each card you discarded this way, +1 Action
---
When you gain this, look through your discard pile (including this), reveal any number of Action cards from it, and shuffle them into your deck.

That effect was too strong for $4, so with the on gain it's a balanced $5 card. Also it's nice thematically; the more you "spend" at the Inn, the longer you get to stay, and the more action(s) you get :P.

Fortress
Action - $4
+1 Card
+2 Action
---
When you  gain or trash this, put it in your hand.

I'd just want it to be a noticeably different card from vanilla village in ALL games, even if that difference only amounts to it being gained in a roundabout way.

Also there's lots of interesting when gain and (especially) when trash effects that will never see the light of day, and plenty of simple cards that could benefit from them. Simplicity is nice, but I did think I'd see more when gain and when trash effects in their respective expansions. Maybe they'll surface some day, but pairing them with a top half that's simple enough to accommodate them will be difficult, and cards like Bazaar, Worker's Village and Oasis stand out to me in this regard.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
Re: Things you would change other than for balance
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:14:50 pm »
+1

Fortress
Action - $4
+1 Card
+2 Action
---

I'd just want it to be a noticeably different card from vanilla village in ALL games, even if that difference only amounts to it being gained in a roundabout way.

Oh man, IW/IW/Bishop/Bishop would make that killer.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:04 am »

Fortress
Action - $4
+1 Card
+2 Action
---

Oh man, IW/IW/Bishop/Bishop would make that killer.

Bishop/Fortress is already pretty killer. I don't think this makes it that much worse.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:48:05 am »

Ironworks and University are pretty much the only non-terminal $4 action gainers (That are actions) that I know of. New fortress mostly works with them and comboes where you already have +actions anyway.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 11:22:26 am »

It would also work well with Workshop and any remodel type card, especially Governor. The effect will pop up every so often, but most of the time it will just be a village that enters your deck in a funny way. However, aesthetically, it will always be something different to a regular village in every single game, not just ones with trashing.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »

Embargo
Action - $2
+$2
Trash this
---
When you trash this, put an embargo token on any supply pile. When a player buys a card, he gains a curse per embargo token on that pile.

Pillage
Action - $5
Trash this
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals his hand and discards a card that you choose.
---
When you trash this, gain 2 Spoils from the Spoils Pile

These 2 don't really change the card except for TR/KC shenanigans, but give them a lot more flexibility. The latter would be especially thematic for Dark Ages.

A more shonky one:

Treasure Map:
Action - $4
Trash this
---
When you trash this, you may trash another card from your hand. If it's a Treasure Map, gain 4 Golds, putting them on top of your deck.

It gives the card a bit more flexibility and strategy. Also a hand of 3 Treasure Maps now gives you 8 golds plus a free trashing on the side.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 07:46:05 am »

Nomad Camp
Action - $4
+$2
+1 buy
---
When you gain or trash this, put it on top of your deck.

Oracle
Action - $3
Each player (including you) reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, and you choose one: either he discards them, or he puts them back on top in an order he chooses.
+2 Cards
---
When you gain this, put any number of cards from your hand on top of your deck.

Stables
Action - $5
You may discard a Treasure. If you do, +3 Cards and +1 Action.
---
When you gain this, you may put your deck in your discard pile.

Pearl Diver
Action - $2
+1 Card, +1 Action, Look at the bottom card of your deck. Either put it on top or discard it.

Armory
Action - $4
Gain a card costing up to 4 Coins, putting it on top of your deck.
---
When you trash this, gain a Spoils from the Spoils Pile, putting it in your hand.

Marauder
Action/Attack - $4
Gain a Spoils from the Spoils Pile
Each other player gains a Ruins, putting it in his hand

Dame Sylvia
Action/Attack/Knight - $5
Gain a Spoils from the Spoils Pile, putting it on top of your deck
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from 3 Coins to 6 Coins, and discards the rest. If a Knight is trashed by this, trash this card

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 17 queries.