Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Crusader  (Read 3153 times)

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
Crusader
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:56:48 am »

Okay, so I'm new on this site, but some friends and I have played tons of Dominion, and this is a new card we designed. The name and theme go together, and its impact can be felt in nearly any combo of kingdom cards. We love playing with it, and deciding when to let the crusader fall upon his sword.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17:23 am »
+1

Okay, so I'm new on this site, but some friends and I have played tons of Dominion, and this is a new card we designed. The name and theme go together, and its impact can be felt in nearly any combo of kingdom cards. We love playing with it, and deciding when to let the crusader fall upon his sword.
[crusader]

Welcome to the forum, Wilson!  Sharing your fan cards is great, but I suggest that you do so by starting a new topic here.  This thread is for discussion of cards which won a long series of community contests, and isn't really the place to share a new card (unless maybe it's intended as a tweak to one include in this set;  I don't intend to suggest strict rules about where to post or not post.)
Well you *do* need a signature...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12896
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:37:36 am »

It's a lottery card; if you choose to trash it, you lose $3 and might end up getting nothing at worst or a Platinum at best, and you have only one try.

Also, there should be no line.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:41:51 am »

Suggested rewording:

Choose one: +$3; or trash this, each other player reveals his hand and trashes a revealed Attack or Treasure of your choice. Gain all Treasures trashed in this way.

And as Awaclus said, there shouldn't be a line on the card.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:50:03 pm by LastFootnote »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:44:32 am »
+2

Just an action that gives +$3 for a cost of $5 is pretty good already. Something to be aware of when designing attack cards that remove cards from other players hands is that they almost always have a limit, so as to not be able to completely destroy someone's turn when played repeatedly. (Militia only hurts on the first play, Torturer lets you gain a Curse instead of discarding, Cutpurse only hits Copper.) Your card doesn't have as much of an issue because it trashes itself when it attacks, but the attack is very strong. Compare to Pillage: Both cards are one shot attacks that cost $5, that make each opponent lose a good card and improve your own economy. Your card is better because it makes the other player lose the card permanently instead of just discarding it. Your card can attack players who've already been attacked, also. The only disadvantage your card has is that it can't make your opponent discard a strong Action card, unless that action card is an Attack (which many strong actions are).

I would recommend that A) The +$3 option should be slightly weaker, and B) the Attack option should be limited in some way so as not to be stackable. Man, the attack is still really swingy, though. I guess Thief is swingy in a similar way, though.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:56:09 am »

Text minor issues:

Gain from an opponent hand is strange, what happens if you Trader the gain, the opponent mantains their card? It is trashed (nothing indicates it should)? It goes to the supply?

I would make the treasure option trash or return to the supply the treasure first and then you gain it (see Thief's way of dealing with getting other people's things).

Also, it would be nicer to read for people used to regular cards if you use the standarized language ("When you do" -> "If you do", use "Choose one:" to indicate each choice, say "each other player", etc).

The card seems overpowered. +$3 for $5 already seems like something that would see a fair amount of action, and the Attack can be really devastating against Big Money type decks (Pillage is much weaker, for instance, and wrecks hands pretty badly). It is also swingy that you need to decide weither to cash in the card, and sometimes discover you steal a couple of nice Treasures and other times you get nothing in return. Deciding weither to trash Mining Village is already difficult some times.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:26:50 am »

Gain from an opponent hand is strange, what happens if you Trader the gain, the opponent mantains their card? It is trashed (nothing indicates it should)? It goes to the supply?
A very good point. The card should be trashed inbetween and gained from there, as Thief does. OR it should just be put in your hand, without "gaining", similar to what Masquerade does.

I personally don't think "Steal from opponents hands" attacks are a very good idea. No matter whether you know what you draw or not, no matter how many. It's extremely swingy. It's good you limited it to attacks and Treasures, though. Maybe you should also limit it to a certain level, like Knights do with their trashing.

WilsonWriter

• Salvager
  • Shuffle iT Username: storyteller
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • WilsonWriter.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 01:54:41 pm »

Thanks for the advice about the line and the wording. Points taken! I've made some minor edits.

We made this card, since we've done some combos that are completely dominated by someone who gets and early attack going with the 5/2 split, or gets big money and starts racing ahead. This card is a one-shot deal at gaining back some ground, the Crusader fighting his one last fight. In the meantime, it can serve as a Gold, though requiring an action to do so.

In real play, yes, it's swingy, but we've really had fun with it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151259931256176&set=a.10151259930411176.1073741826.687061175&type=3&theater

Again, thanks for the advice. I'm new to this part of it, and it's great to hear the feedback.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:57:57 pm by WilsonWriter »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 02:43:00 pm »
+1

Still should have the "Choose one:" at the beginning (see: Minion)

Quote from: Crusader
Choose one: +$3; or trash this and each other player reveals his hand and trashes an Attack or Treasure that you choose. You gain any Treasure trashed this way.

If you use it for the attack and your 3 opponents reveal hands with the treasure Copper, Copper, Gold and no attacks; you would be forced to gain all 3 treasures, instead of just one like Thief.

I would be tempted to make it an Action-Attack-Knight for thematic purposes. (It would only make a play difference in a game with Knights anyways.)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.