Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Complicated Black Market game... help?  (Read 2354 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Complicated Black Market game... help?
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:20 pm »
+1

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120122-215826-7804494c.html
Black Market, Hoard, Inn, Potion, Salvager, Scrying Pool, Tactician, Trader, Treasure Map, Tunnel, and Vineyard
This was a fairly complicated board and mwfeldman thrashed me in this game despite the fact that I picked up a Chapel from the Black Market deck on turn 4 and then the only curser in the game (a Sea Hag) on turn 5. My goal in this game was to dig in the Black Market for swingy cards (there were a lot available), which worked except for the winning part. Then using them to support my strategy of using Tacticians and Inns with Tunnel to pick up treasure. I picked up a Hoard (turn 10) which I think was actually too late to be useful, but aside from that I'm not sure what my mistakes were.

mwfeldman went for Scrying Pools pretty heavily. I think he was going for a Scrying Pool/Vineyard strategy which I thought I wouldn't have any trouble with once I had the Sea Hag, but he transitioned out of it at some point. He picked up a variety of strong actions in the Black Market too, (Governor/Fishing Village/Masquerade), but he only had a single Gold and 2 Silvers so I thought his economy was pretty weak.

I'm kindof confused what ended up happening in this game. Presumably my strategy was flawed in some way, but I can't see what went wrong exactly. Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:18:16 pm by Jorbles »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Complicated Black Market game... help?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:04:56 pm »

If you'd remembered that tactician->black market/tactician lets you play with a 10 card hand every turn you'd have saved yourself a lot of problems (there was a vault option too ). As it was you should have made a plan for either tunnels or hoards but not both. Treasure maps may even have been a better source of gold in an inns + tactician deck.There are quite a lot of other things going on though and you shouldn't underestimate your opponent's deck.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:17:07 pm »

If you'd remembered that tactician->black market/tactician lets you play with a 10 card hand every turn you'd have saved yourself a lot of problems (there was a vault option too ).
I did actually think about that, but only drew my Black Market with one of my Tactitians on the second last turn. This isn't actually a combo I've been able to play before so I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. How many Black Markets should I have picked up to pull this off reliably? 2 or 3?

I didn't think about the Vault, but I guess I should have picked that up instead of the Sea Hag.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:25:05 pm »

Use the chapel instead of adding more and more cards. The masquerade will meddle with your deck but it's still better than trying to manage your mixed deck with inns.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:47:25 pm »

That's a good point. I think I may have bought to many Silvers now that I'm looking at this again, which cluttered up my deck and hurt my chances of lining up my key cards. (Chapel with junk and Tactician with Black Markets/Tunnels) I should've probably picked up at least one more Black Market, maybe another Tunnel, and should have grabbed my second Tactician earlier. Thanks DG, this was helpful!

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:04 pm »

He bought the masquerade from the BM before you bought Sea Hag. Against his Scrying Pool + Masquerade + random actions deck, you did not want 1 curser. Note how the game ended with YOU having 2 curses, the trash 2, and him having 0.

You were a little unlucky to keep drawing your chapel together with the BM and Sea Hag, but with a small deck, that's bound to happen sometimes.

You had a nice opportunity for double tactician with the BM and the vault. Keep your deck trim, get a little drawing power, with say, some scrying pools, and you should be able to pull it off a few turns of the game.

I think the key to this board was the scrying pool

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 06:05:12 pm »

I haven't looked too far into this game, but I do have a question: I'm curious if it's generally agreed that Chapel is the right buy on turn 4 - my instinct says I'd rather grab a Tactician here ASAP.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 06:23:23 pm »

I haven't looked too far into this game, but I do have a question: I'm curious if it's generally agreed that Chapel is the right buy on turn 4 - my instinct says I'd rather grab a Tactician here ASAP.
I haven't looked into this game, but in general, I don't like chapels that late. Especially when you have such a juicy 5 available.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.