Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Memory Sport  (Read 8946 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12896
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Memory Sport
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 10:15:08 am »

I agree.  If you are concerned about the "stigma", I mean, it's not really a stigma.  You aren't crazy or defective.  It's not a neurological disorder.  Your brain is just wired differently from most people, ergo, you have a "neurological condition".  No different than how being left-handed is sort of a "neurological condition".
I'm not concerned about the stigma, I'm just certain that nothing extraordinary happens in my brain. All numbers are black and without a persona to me, but they all have different values (breaking news!) and that's it. For me, that is enough for looking at numbers as a way of creating art and viewing numbers as though they could be art even when they are not.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:16:59 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:57 am »

But your number descriptions?  Completely unintuitive.  All those orders that you differentiate as "boring" or "clever" or "cold" or "heavy"... I don't see that at all, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people would not see it either.  The orders are just random and applying concepts like "cold" or "heavy" to a string of numbers makes no sense at all to me.  That you just naturally feel those descriptions for orders is really neat... and it really probably is a form of synesthesia, even though you didn't realize it.  And that's cool!
The orders aren't random, I spent like 30 minutes arranging and re-arranging the numbers so that they would be describable with words as much as possible. They were a result of my own inspiration, and that's why it was easy for me to describe them. But this number: 6415131409310 (I currently see it in a juice can on my table), I can't describe the impression I have, because the number isn't designed to have a clear atmosphere on it.

It's the same thing with music (obviously, because music after all is just numbers): this song, for example, is sad.

But the very fact that those number arrangements aren't random to you is just more evidence, because they are ransom to most people. The idea that a sequence of numbers could even have an atmosphere is a foreign concept.

You might not find it extraordinary because it's just normal to you, but it isn't to most people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:05 am »

But your number descriptions?  Completely unintuitive.  All those orders that you differentiate as "boring" or "clever" or "cold" or "heavy"... I don't see that at all, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people would not see it either.  The orders are just random and applying concepts like "cold" or "heavy" to a string of numbers makes no sense at all to me.  That you just naturally feel those descriptions for orders is really neat... and it really probably is a form of synesthesia, even though you didn't realize it.  And that's cool!
The orders aren't random, I spent like 30 minutes arranging and re-arranging the numbers so that they would be describable with words as much as possible. They were a result of my own inspiration, and that's why it was easy for me to describe them. But this number: 6415131409310 (I currently see it in a juice can on my table), I can't describe the impression I have, because the number isn't designed to have a clear atmosphere on it.

It's the same thing with music (obviously, because music after all is just numbers): this song, for example, is sad.

But the very fact that those number arrangements aren't random to you is just more evidence, because they are ransom to most people. The idea that a sequence of numbers could even have an atmosphere is a foreign concept.

You might not find it extraordinary because it's just normal to you, but it isn't to most people.
Expressionist music might seem to be random to most people, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 08:43:44 pm »

Does your synesthesia help you remember the Duchy and Province counts in Dominion? 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 03:22:19 am »

Does your synesthesia help you remember the Duchy and Province counts in Dominion?
No, I always used the point tracker in Iso and lose games IRL. They both are just a single number, a single number does not have any significance to me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:23:48 am by Awaclus »

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1195
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »

Well, I stopped doing this soon after I started, but I started back up again on Saturday with a time of 8:37 for speed cards. Today I just got 3:33  :)

Edit: 3:06!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:06:21 pm by heron »

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »

Well, I stopped doing this soon after I started, but I started back up again on Saturday with a time of 8:37 for speed cards. Today I just got 3:33  :)

I remember when I was working on Rubik's cubes by memory, and I would hit these plateaus where it seems like I was making no progress.  And then, after a break, or just a magical day, a switch would flip where I was suddenly and consistently much faster.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.