Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying Pool vs. Ruins: really?  (Read 2347 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
Scrying Pool vs. Ruins: really?
« on: March 20, 2013, 01:36:54 am »

So people tend to say that Scrying Pool is a good counter to Cultist and Marauder, since they flood your deck with Actions and Scrying Pool will draw through a bunch of Actions. But if that happens, then you end up with a hand full of Ruins, which is... not that much better than having a hand with no Ruins (unless you've got a really good surplus of villages), is it? And there are situations where Ruins can interfere with your Scrying Pool draw—if your decktop is Ruined Village and Copper, you'll scry and draw them; but if the Ruins aren't there, the Copper is on top and you might discard it and draw the goodies below. ...So it's not all that obvious to me that Scrying Pool counters Ruins as effectively as it sounds.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool vs. Ruins: really?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 01:39:36 am »

It's more when compared to Curses - obviously, it's better to have junk that Scrying Pool will actually draw then junk that it will trip over.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:23 am »

Depends on your definition of counter: SP doesn't mind drawing Ruins, but obviously having Ruins in your deck will make SP less potent because it decreases the likelihood of starting a turn with SP in hand and it makes you less likely to discard a "stop" card from the top of deck. Not by much, though, since they don't hurt SP's drawing power as much as a standard engine that relies in fixed nonterminal draw or +actions and terminal +draw.

SP is strong enough that it can even endure cursing with no trashing in the kingdom in many cases, so I doubt Ruins will hurt it very much.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12898
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 05:48:30 am »

I have a feeling that with Secret Chamber based SP strategies, the ruins are only helpful for the SP player. One provides the +buy and the others will just get discarded for $.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:58 am »

Its not a counter in that a couple SP will immediately solve your issues, but with a nice deck built up you can either easily ignore or get rid of them much faster.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:49:08 am »
+1

I have a feeling that with Secret Chamber based SP strategies, the ruins are only helpful for the SP player. One provides the +buy and the others will just get discarded for $.

It's not just Secret Chamber, there are a whole bunch of cards that benefit from having a load of 'useless' Ruins in your hand:

Warehouse
Forge (remember they cost 1 so all contribute to purchasing power)
Cellar
Young Witch
Inn
Horse Traders
Embassy
Hamlet
Vault
Storeroom

And that's not even counting cards that can use them one at a time for 'fuel' such as Upgrade, Graverobber, Oasis, Junk Dealer, Death Cart, Forager, Trade Route and other's that may situationally combo with them like Horn of Plenty and Madman

There is a very good chance that one or two of the above are in the Kingdom...

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:50:55 am »
+2

No ruins cost is $0 ! Shelters cost $1

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12898
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 01:53:32 pm »

It's not just Secret Chamber, there are a whole bunch of cards that benefit from having a load of 'useless' Ruins in your hand:

Warehouse
Forge (remember they cost 1 so all contribute to purchasing power)
Cellar
Young Witch
Inn
Horse Traders
Embassy
Hamlet
Vault
Storeroom

And that's not even counting cards that can use them one at a time for 'fuel' such as Upgrade, Graverobber, Oasis, Junk Dealer, Death Cart, Forager, Trade Route and other's that may situationally combo with them like Horn of Plenty and Madman

There is a very good chance that one or two of the above are in the Kingdom...
No, I don't think you want to be handed ruins unless you have Secret Chamber, Vault or Storeroom. Cycling after a successful SP chain isn't that great, and you still would rather be trashing your starting 10 with TFBs. I don't know about Graverobber, but I'm not sure I even want that in a Scrying Pool deck, unless there's some expensive non-terminals, preferably villages.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 01:57:53 pm »

I think one important thing to keep in mind is, if you have some sort decent trashing it's MUCH easier to draw and trash ruins than curses.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.233 seconds with 22 queries.