Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rules Challenge  (Read 6359 times)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
Rules Challenge
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:16:10 pm »

You have just played an Action card from your hand, but have yet to carry out the action described on the card. You decide for whatever reason you don't feel like doing it, so you don't. Your opponent suspects you may be cheating and demands to see your hand. You argue that you are not required to show your hand.

As a matter of fact, both you and your opponent are correct; you are in fact cheating, yet you are not technically required to show your hand. Which cards could you have just played?

Solved for one example: Throne Room.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:52:46 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Rules Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »

shanty town??

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »

Throne Room

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:51:39 pm »

shanty town??
Wrong because the card says you must reveal your hand, so you're wrong to argue you don't have to.

Throne Room
Correct, you might have action cards in hand and technically be required to play them with the Throne Room, but there is no rules reason to show your hand.

Donald X. has mentioned wishing we would have worded Throne Room like he did King's Court to avoid this sort of cheating. I was thinking about this and discovered Throne Room is not the only example. Which other cards could it be?

-Note added to OP

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 06:10:11 pm »

Mine

Edit: Also Treasure Map technically requires you to trash another copy if you have one in hand, and you don't have to reveal your hand to prove you don't have one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:14:05 pm by Thisisnotasmile »

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »

moneylender

michaeljb

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:31:30 pm »

Hadn't thought of Treasure Map, but the only others that I had thought of were Mine and Moneylender. Since this challenge basically just involved carefully reading card text, I was thinking about just posting in general discussion, but decided a puzzle might be more fun.

What I thought was fun about this was coming up for scenarios where you would want to cheat with these cards, here's what I came up with:
You Golem'd into Mine and have only a Platinum or Kingdom Treasure card in hand, none left in the supply. Technically could happen for Gold and Silver as well, but much less likely.

For Moneylender, I guess Golem as well, but you've already played Coppersmith 4 or more times, so Moneylender would net you a loss on the turn.

For not trashing two Treasure Maps when you have the chance...you just really don't want the next player to Smuggle some Gold or something  ;D

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 01:44:08 am »

For the first two situations, will you play the treasure later in the turn?
In some situations you may be able to get away, say you draw more cards after that. but you have to be careful.
I dunno what happens being caught when doing this :P

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 03:28:33 am »

A reasonable Treasure Map example (assuming you have Treasure Map) would be if you knew you had to do some fancy maneuvering during subsequent turns (i.e. Duchy-dancing, setting up a monster Bridge or HoP turn, KC-Saboteur-ing, etc.) rather than simply buy a Province or Colony.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:36 am »

Other reasons to not trash Treasure Maps:

You need to fuel your Horn of Plenty (or similar cards) and can't afford to trash the card.

You know you have 2 mod 3 action cards in your deck, and you're playing a Vineyard strategy. If you trash the Treasure Map, you'll be at 1 mod 3. By playing Treasure Map, you are able to afford that Peddler, putting you at 0 mod 3 and earning 1 more point for each Vineyard.

A man has no signature

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 11:03:54 am »

Other reasons to not trash Treasure Maps:

You need to fuel your Horn of Plenty (or similar cards) and can't afford to trash the card.

You know you have 2 mod 3 action cards in your deck, and you're playing a Vineyard strategy. If you trash the Treasure Map, you'll be at 1 mod 3. By playing Treasure Map, you are able to afford that Peddler, putting you at 0 mod 3 and earning 1 more point for each Vineyard.

In both of these situations you seem to be implying that you want to Play a Treasure Map and not trash it, nor another copy from your hand, however if you play a Treasure Map you MUST immediately trash it regardless of whether you have another copy in your hand or not. The rules issue here is that you are not required to prove you do not have another copy in your hand if you are only trashing the single Map.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:15 am »

I think you can easily modify it such that it works. You assume you have 2 Treasure Maps in Hand, and by playing (and trashing) 1 you can afford 2 Peddlers instead of 0. So netting you 1 Action card. This might happen because the Prize drops from $2 to $0 and you have 2 buys and $0 coins.
Another scenario would include Fairgrounds, where you assume you have 2 TM in hand and in the deck, and playing one allows you to buy your first peddler, which is your 0th (mod 5) different named card in deck. Trashing both TM would mean one less different named card.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 11:29:55 am »

I think you can easily modify it such that it works. You assume you have 2 Treasure Maps in Hand, and by playing (and trashing) 1 you can afford 2 Peddlers instead of 0. So netting you 1 Action card. This might happen because the Prize drops from $2 to $0 and you have 2 buys and $0 coins.
Except that that doesn't make peddler cheaper, since it only cares about actions IN PLAY, and once you trash the TM, it's not in play anymore - it's in the trash

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 11:32:00 am »

Except that that doesn't make peddler cheaper, since it only cares about actions IN PLAY, and once you trash the TM, it's not in play anymore - it's in the trash

So we must fall back to some Conspirator

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 11:36:04 am »

But if you're playing Treasure Map to active Conspirator, and you have another Map in hand, that's not a reason where you might want to cheat and not trash the other Map, because you're playing 1 action towards activating your Conspirator either way.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 11:45:04 am »

But if you're playing Treasure Map to active Conspirator, and you have another Map in hand, that's not a reason where you might want to cheat and not trash the other Map, because you're playing 1 action towards activating your Conspirator either way.

Except Vineyard, Fairground . But maybe I just shouldn't drop some half-thought scenarios. But I'm quite confident that you can mix it into the ideas above,..

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 12:36:09 pm »
+2

You have 2 fishing villages in play, your hand consists of Navigator, Conspirator, Treasure Map x2 and an Estate.  You play the Navigator, and see a Platinum and 4 Colonies.  There is 1 Colony left in the supply, and if you don't buy it, you'll lose, because your opponent has previously played the ultra rare "triple tactician turn" (golem -> tactician -> l3b -> golem 6> tactician -> lab -> golem -> tactician) and is guaranteed to play KC x3 + Bridge x6 on his turn..  So, thinking quickly, you jump up on the table, remove your belt, take your hand, and proceed to play with your Navigator.  You move your cards back and forth, putting the platinum on top of your deck then cheat by playing the treasure map and not trashing your other one, play your activated conspirator to draw the platinum, giving you $2 (fishing village) + $2 (navigator) + $2(conspirator) + $5 (platinum).    The Aristrocrats.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:39:37 pm by Captain_Frisk »
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:05 pm »

I am happy with this solution as it actually requires the use of cheating with a Treasure Map in order to win a game.

spoiler

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 01:35:21 pm »

I am happy with this solution as it actually requires the use of cheating with a Treasure Map in order to win a game.

spoiler

Yes, this thread has gotten spoiler happy, hence my aristocrats joke.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »

Another possibility is if we playing a possession game, and you strongly expect to be possessed in your next turn. (For example, you used cutpurse) When you bought the treasure maps you did not expect the game to go to possession, but now you want to get rid of the treasure maps from your deck whilst not adding too many treasures into it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10774
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 03:17:13 pm »

Thread-necro because Dark Ages gives us more answers to the challenge.

Graverobber make you trash an action (assuming you choose that option), but you could lie and say you don't have any actions, without having to reveal your hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.371 seconds with 17 queries.