Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beggar is pretty good  (Read 2127 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1858
    • View Profile
Beggar is pretty good
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:59:52 pm »

We've had several boards in a row where we dealt out beggar and scoffed because who would want to buy beggar unless there's Counting House or Gardens or something? Anyway, I've decided it's pretty good for a 3-provinces 6-duchy strategy, much like the ancient "bureaucrat beats chapel" strategy. I bought it in the middle of a game where my opponent was maraudering me a bunch (I also twice used a band of misfits as a beggar) and I didn't expect to shuffle too many more times, and was happy. I only think I used the reaction once or twice; the immediate +3 was the big help.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1024
    • View Profile
Re: Beggar is pretty good
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:06:19 pm »

Haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking it might be good with Mercenary if you have the spare actions. Mercenary is kinda dead later in the game if you have no junk to trash, and Beggar brings trashing targets right to your hand.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:14:08 pm »

We've had several boards in a row where we dealt out beggar and scoffed because who would want to buy beggar unless there's Counting House or Gardens or something? Anyway, I've decided it's pretty good for a 3-provinces 6-duchy strategy, much like the ancient "bureaucrat beats chapel" strategy. I bought it in the middle of a game where my opponent was maraudering me a bunch (I also twice used a band of misfits as a beggar) and I didn't expect to shuffle too many more times, and was happy. I only think I used the reaction once or twice; the immediate +3 was the big help.

I used it some tonight. Mostly got it to help protect against Knights, but I used the +3 Coppers twice; once for a Province and once for a Duchy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 12:57:11 am »
+2

It also might not be too bad late in any game when adding Coppers isn't so bad. For instance, if you buy it on the second-to-last time through the deck with a spare $2, you can play it as terminal gold on the last time through and never shuffle the Coppers in.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:44:27 am »
+4

Beggar + Bank on a megaturn?

Probably needs a lot of things to for it to work out, but each Beggar is effectively a +$6 for a $2 cost card.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:46:39 am by dondon151 »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 07:38:38 am »

If IGG is a Silver with a curse effect, Beggar is a terminal Gold. Also, it's reaction is pretty sweet. I've used it to great effect against Urchin and Pillage.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10777
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:06:44 pm »

Beggar + Bank on a megaturn?

Probably needs a lot of things to for it to work out, but each Beggar is effectively a +$6 for a $2 cost card.

I'd love to see a Beggar + Coppersmith engine.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 17 queries.