Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 1)  (Read 4647 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10778
    • View Profile
You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 1)
« on: November 11, 2015, 07:56:50 pm »
+6

I recently found out about Wizard's "You make the card" events. Basically, they had the entire community create a card by voting on what it will contain, piece by piece. First choosing the color, then the type, etc. So let's do that to create a new Dominion card!

I'll run the event. Each week we'll have a poll up to choose a different aspect of the card. I haven't fully decided on all the categories up-front, but I think that's fine. Actually even necessary; the results of some will lead to different decisions needed for the rest.

I'll do each one as a poll that will be open for 1 week. Seems like a long time, but that is to help get the most amount of responses possible. Results won't be visible until the poll closes.

First poll will close on Wednesday, November 18. The starting point seems obvious: What type of card should this be? We're talking about the "main type" only; we'll separately choose Attack/Reaction/Looter/etc.

Oh, if you want "Action-Victory", choose action; Victory will get chosen along with Attack/Reaction. Same with "Treasure-victory". "Action-Treasure" is simply not allowed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:06:19 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:14:13 pm »

Art is not a democracy ... but it sounds fun. :P

"Action-Treasure" is simply not allowed.
Man, that sucks. Magic Mirror was the only Action-Treasure so far and it'd be great to collectively try to get another one working.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:15:24 pm by tristan »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 12:48:45 pm »

This is interesting; because I set the poll to not show results until voting has closed, I can't even see how many people have voted at all. And due to lack of comments I wasn't sure if many people cared to participate. But I went to click "Edit poll" just to see what it would do, and in the "edit poll" view, I am able to see how many votes there are for which option. And there's been lots of participation, so thanks!

Is a week too long to keep this running? I'm not sure if I should expect to get many more votes after the first few days...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10725
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »
+1

Is a week too long to keep this running? I'm not sure if I should expect to get many more votes after the first few days...

I guess the question is: how much do you care about getting absolutely everybody's opinion? I can imagine a hypothetical person that only checks f.DS on weekends, for example. But for most people, I think 2 days is plenty.

"Action-Treasure" is simply not allowed.
Man, that sucks. Magic Mirror was the only Action-Treasure so far and it'd be great to collectively try to get another one working.

This brings up an interesting point. When I make a card, often whether it's an Action or Treasure is flexible and depends on how it tests. Perhaps in the future, a better set of options would be

• Playable card (Action, Treasure)
• Non-playable card (Victory, ???)
• Non-card (Event, ???)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 01:05:42 pm »
+1

I help mod the Omnis Region on Tumblr, a community-driven Pokemon fan region.  We leave polls up for about 2 days, and most votes come in on day 1.  It's a different environment though.  For this, maybe you could do half a week, timed so that each weekend will have the end and start of 2 different polls.  A weekend-only member would be able to catch the end of one poll and the start of another each weekend.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:08:02 pm »

The weekend thing is a good idea. I think I'll do that. This poll will close and the new one will open tomorrow evening then.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:08 pm »

I recently found out about Wizard's "You make the card" events. Basically, they had the entire community create a card by voting on what it will contain, piece by piece. First choosing the color, then the type, etc. So let's do that to create a new Dominion card!

Zomg, I knew for other two MYOCs, but I had no idea that Crucible is a  MYOC. That card is bonkers.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »

Can we use the automated card generator logic to build a graph from the set of current card art, and then automatically generate new card art?  I'm thinking something like, a given (r,g,b) value has a probability distribution for its adjacent nodes, so fill out an array of nodes based on that. 

Well that would be the most naive way; maybe it can be more genetic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 01:23:25 pm by Witherweaver »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »
+2

There should probably be a card name poll followed by an art poll, at the very end.  The art could be original illustrations (any artists here?), public domain stuff, or other art if someone is willing to go ask artists for permission.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 01:46:00 pm »
+1

There should probably be a card name poll followed by an art poll, at the very end.  The art could be original illustrations (any artists here?), public domain stuff, or other art if someone is willing to go ask artists for permission.

Yup, was planning on it.  :)

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 03:58:11 pm »

I would love to see more dual-victory types!

How is the structure of the community creation process going to go?

such as:
Part 1: Main Type
Part 2: Sub Type
Part 3: Price
Part 4: Components (couldn't think of a good way to say "what's in the text box")
...Etc...

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 05:16:52 pm »
+1

Part 18: Strategy Article on combo with Giraffe

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 07:33:32 pm »

I would love to see more dual-victory types!

How is the structure of the community creation process going to go?

such as:
Part 1: Main Type
Part 2: Sub Type
Part 3: Price
Part 4: Components (couldn't think of a good way to say "what's in the text box")
...Etc...

Well the rest of the steps all depend on what's chosen in the first step. If Action or Treasure is chosen, then step 2 will be deciding between Attack, Reaction, Duration, Reserve, Looter, or some combination of those. I think Price will be last except for name and art.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 07:06:00 pm »

Crucible of Worlds is a nice demonstration that deliberate human desires can do better than random chance or unusual systematic processes, since Crucible of Worlds is a pretty poorly designed card.

I expect the Dominion card not to be great either.

But that's the fun part!

I think it should have an above the line and below the line part that are both separate, to cause more component compartmentalization.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 09:43:04 pm »

Ok, poll closed. Awesome participation! Action is the winner by a landslide. And man am I glad. I realized had Vicotry been chosen, for example, there'd be so much less room for more options. Action definitely has the most decision trees.

Now that we have that, I'll tell you that well have a poll for other types, a poll for terminal vs non-terminal vs village, a poll for other vanilla bonuses, a poll for non-vanilla mechanics, price, name, art.

I'm still trying to work out some of the specific details about what options to give and such. Will be posting the part 2 thread shortly.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 10:56:01 pm »
+1

I'm not sure what the best way to do this is (or if this is already what you're planning to do), but it might be fun to just vote on grammatically coherent and functionally reasonable phrases once we get to non-vanilla text.  So the first poll might have options like:

"You may discard", "Trash", "Gain", "Put a card from your hand", "Play a card", "Take a coin token.", "Reveal", "Look at", "Each other player", ...

Then if "You may discard" is chosen, the next poll might have:

"a", "any number of cards.", "up to", ...

You could probably come up with better options if you put some work into it, maybe by comparing each phrase with phrases that follow it on official cards.  After the end of a sentence, each poll should have an option to end the text.  Or maybe just include that option in every poll (given it leads to a grammatically functional card), and then adjust punctuation to accommodate the text ending unexpectedly.

Alternatively, we could maybe vote for functions of the card and then revise details later.  For example, we could decide we want a terminal draw card that trashes n cards and gains a card costing up to x.  (We would decide that in three separate polls asking about different functions the card should accomplish, and then a fourth poll where we decided we were done choosing functions.)  Then we decide on how each of those functions works; for draw, we might have options like "+1 card", "+2 cards", ..., "+1 card per card in your hand", whatever other crazy options people want.

I voted victory card before I actually finished reading the post, so I didn't realize it would be a pure victory card in that case.  I like victory cards a lot, but actions are probably more fun to make with this process, so I'm glad action won.  I'm surprised only two people voted Treasure.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 02:02:04 am »
+2

You can take suggestions for pieces, or suggestions for general direction.  For example, I think Smogon's CAP projects start with submissions and votes on simple descriptions, which you can see here.

So for a Dominion card, some simple descriptions might be "non-TFB trasher that still wants to trash high cost cards", "attack that makes Copper good for the attacked player", "card that uses the tavern mat in a new way", "a card that uses embargo tokens".... you get the idea.  Vague descriptions that give direction without being too specific.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.197 seconds with 21 queries.