Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A New Flavor  (Read 3626 times)

Showdown35

• Golem
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
A New Flavor
« on: May 19, 2014, 01:23:19 pm »
+3

Hello! I'm back with a couple flavor packed cards as I resume work on my Corruption expansion.

Here's a couple ideas, one complete that just needs power level tweaking, and one that I'm flip-flopping on between two ideas.

Seeker
Action - $6
+1 Buy, +$2
Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card.
If it is an Action card, play it, then trash it.
Discard the revealed cards.

I really like the concept of using a card to find the perfect card from your deck that you want to play, but at the cost of losing that card. It has a Band of Misfits feel to it, but is different in that you have to have already gained the card to be able to find it with Seeker.  The vanilla bonuses are there to mitigate the deck de-valuing that the trashing will do. I wanted to cost it at $6 so it will be bought and played a little less, as it does take a little while to resolve, but if it makes more sense to cost it at $5, I have a spot for either price.

Next concept doesn't have a pic yet, as I'm still torn on which mechanic I like better, so I'm looking for a little feedback to determine which version is more fun, more viable, more playable, etc.

The card is called Hooligan, and here's my two versions of it:

Action - $3?
+1 Action
Choose a card form a Supply pile that is not a Victory pile. Discard the top card of your deck.
If the chosen card costs at most $1 more than the discarded card, gain a copy of it.

This version is a risk/reward card that can whiff pretty easily if you try to gain a high costing card, but you can "rig" it with other top-decking cards. This fits the theme of my expansion well, but I'm worried the card is a little too complicated. Here is a simpler version:

Action - $4 or $5
Discard a card. If you do, and it was not a Victory card, gain a card costing equal to or less than it.

Very simple workshop variant. Not sure if it's interesting enough to be playable though. Comments and critiques are welcome. Thanks!
Check out my Dominion Fan Card Template for Photoshop  here

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: A New Flavor
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 01:55:12 pm »
+1

I like them both.

I had considered "dig for an Action, then play it and trash it" before, but never in concert with naming a card. I think it could work. You have the right idea with making it expensive so that it doesn't get played too often. I have two suggestions for Seeker. First, it should discard the other revealed cards before playing the Action card. Otherwise you have a bunch of cards in limbo while you resolve the Action, which is less than ideal, especially if that Action itself digs for another card. Second, I think seeker should play the Action card two or three times in order to be worthwhile. As it is I think it's quite weak, even with the bonuses.

I like the simpler version of Hooligan better. I would reword it as, "Discard a card that is not a Victory card. Gain a card costing up to the cost of the discarded card."

At one point I had a card in my set that cloned a non-Victory card. I tested it some, and here was its final incarnation:

Surveyor
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+2 Cards. You may discard a card that is not a Victory card. Gain a copy of it.

It seemed OK. Eventually I decided Committee was a more interesting way of gaining a copy of a card in your deck and the set didn't need two such cards.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »
+1

You could make Seeker more flexible and powerful without making it much more complex if you have it trash the card regardless. That way, it can dig for an action to start a chain, or if you just need the +$2, you can dig for and trash a curse or estate.

Edit: rereading the card, maybe that's the intent. As it's worded, it's ambiguous to me whether the card is trashed regardless or only if it's an action.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:05:34 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:18:34 pm »

You could make Seeker more flexible and powerful without making it much more complex if you have it trash the card regardless. That way, it can dig for an action to start a chain, or if you just need the +$2, you can dig for and trash a curse or estate.

Edit: rereading the card, maybe that's the intent. As it's worded, it's ambiguous to me whether the card is trashed regardless or only if it's an action.

I think it's pretty clear that you only trash it if it's an Action. You could remove the comma before "then trash it" to make it even clearer. So...

Seeker
Types: Action
Cost: $6
+1 Buy. +$2. Name a card. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a copy of the named card. Discard the other cards. If it's an Action, play it [twice] then trash it.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:25:27 pm »
+1

The intent was only to play and trash the action. If you name a non-action, you would just discard all cards you revealed (including the named one).

@LFN
I considered playing the action twice before trashing, but thought that might be too powerful. Plus, I have a card in the set that thrones an action from your discard pile already, and i didn't want another throning card. I also considered making the vanilla bonus $3, so it's easier to replace the trashed card, but then I have a terminal gold with a bonus for $6, so I wasn't sure if that was viable.

I do like the idea of Seeker being able to seek a curse or copper and trash it, thats a pretty cool option to add versatility and warrent the price tag.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Also, the reason I didnt have the revealed cards discard first is because then it doesn't tell you what to do with the named card if it's not an action. My original wording discards the revealed cards after you've either played and trashed an action, or revealed a non-action, so the non-action would be one of those revealed cards.

I'd have to add, "otherwise discard it".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:45:26 pm »

Also, the reason I didnt have the revealed cards discard first is because then it doesn't tell you what to do with the named card if it's not an action. My original wording discards the revealed cards after you've either played and trashed an action, or revealed a non-action, so the non-action would be one of those revealed cards.

Good call. I suppose if you change it so that it always trashes the named card, you won't need to add that part.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »

Good call. I suppose if you change it so that it always trashes the named card, you won't need to add that part.

Ya, thats what I'm thinking.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12881
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »

Ya, thats what I'm thinking.

I think that always trashing the card is definitely a good idea, since the card seems a little weak to me now, and I like the idea of a trasher that digs for a named card a lot, especially when it gives +coins too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3278
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »

I like seeker, though he seems really week to me. i guess the best way to look at him is as a band of misfits that can copy an card, also adds a woodcutter but has to trash the chosen card. or you could see it as a grand market which draws any card you want, but has to trash it later. neither of that seems worth $6. have you considered making it non-terminal? that would make it much more reliable, since you can always dig for your draw.

with fortress you get a woodcutter-lab-double village (+2 cards, +3 actions, +1buy, +2$)  ::)

if you do change it so that you always trash the revealed card, you get a cute way to snipe curses. and you can always use it as a chancellor with +buy.

If you have to tweak it, I'd make it stronger rather than cheaper.

Action - $4 or $5
Discard a card. If you do, and it was not a Victory card, gain a card costing equal to or less than it.
I'm almost certain this is not worth 5$. discarding a good card is a huge penality, so you'll probably want to use it for 5$'s or 6$'s, otherwise it's a really awful workshop. The official cards that can reliably gain cards costing more than 4$ are Horn of Plenty, University and Altar, HoP being the most similar one. It's not hard to get HoP up to 5$ though, which is usually where you want it. With your card, you either have to discard another 5$ or a gold, and both will hurt a lot. now consider that HoP is also non-terminal, can't be drawn dead and can get provinces in the end game. it seems way stronger than Hooligan, so much that I'd probably try Hooligan at 2$. Think about it, you almost pillage yourself in order to get a good card.

Showdown35

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:48:18 pm »

Ok, so I'm definitely making Seeker trash non-actions, and I think that's enough to make it worth $6, and using it to dig for a late game King's Court will definitely make it worth while  ;)

For Hooligan, I may go with a combo of the complex and the simple that should make it stronger, hopefully worth $5 cause that's where I have the most holes in my set. Tell me what you think about this:

Hooligan
Action - $5
+1 Action.
Discard the top card of your deck, gain a card that costs exactly $1 more or exactly $1 less than it.

It's either that or I take the "diacard a card" version and have it gain you 2 cards that cost less.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3278
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 06:45:01 am »
+1

Hooligan
    Action - $5
    +1 Action.
    Discard the top card of your deck, gain a card that costs exactly $1 more or exactly $1 less than it.

mh... i'm sorry but I don't think I like this version. it's now non-terminal and only takes one card from your hand, like HoP, but in order to make it a reliable gainer, you have to a) trash a lot of bad stuff or b) control the top of your drawing pile.

a) has several problems. #1 it's not always possible. #2 trashing a lot means it's really slow #3 even if you do trash down, you might still reveal a 3$, in which case it's just a non-terminal workshop and #4 even if everything works out and you reveal a 6$ or a 4$, you lack any sort of bigger payoff in comparison to HoP.

b) works better, but it's only useful so many times. and there is a powerlevel issue for the times when it does work. you can create Provinces out of KC/Forge/Expand/Plat (though discarding them might be a big enough drawback), and you can also create that stuff out or Provinces, which is kind of silly.

I think most cards that target one random card are 3$/4$'s. Jester in an exception, but he kind of works because hitting bad and good cards is both useful. all in all, this versions seems swingy and weak. Maybe revealing 2 cards will solve the issue... dunno.

It's either that or I take the "diacard a card" version and have it gain you 2 cards that cost less.

that's a stonemason that doesn't trash, and it's definitely stronger. discarding a gold is no big deal if you get 2 5$'s, because gaining 2 5$'s is already really good for one turn, even if you don't do anything else with it. there is still a problem with generating VP's though, you can discard a Plat for 12 VPs, or a gold for 6

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 11:10:43 am »
+2

Action - $4 or $5
I'm almost certain this is not worth 5$. discarding a good card is a huge penality, so you'll probably want to use it for 5$'s or 6$'s, otherwise it's a really awful workshop. The official cards that can reliably gain cards costing more than 4$ are Horn of Plenty, University and Altar, HoP being the most similar one. It's not hard to get HoP up to 5$ though, which is usually where you want it. With your card, you either have to discard another 5$ or a gold, and both will hurt a lot.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:38:14 pm »

It's an edge case that is totally peripheral to the design of the card but I would look forward to naming the Ace of Spades when there are five tunnels in my deck with Seeker.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 17 queries.