Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Migrant Worker, a 1-cost card.  (Read 3603 times)

Kuraku256

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Migrant Worker, a 1-cost card.
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:19:29 am »

Migrant Worker
Type: Action
Cost: $1
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
________
When you buy this card, you cannot buy any more cards this turn.
When this card is discarded from play or trashed, return it to the supply.

Came up with this when trying to think of a 1-cost card that would work well with Upgrade, Remake, and Develop.  I decided to have it return to the supply rather than trash itself so that it will effect the entire game rather than just the beginning and it doesn't return until the end of the clean-up so that it can interact with cards like Horn of Plenty and Scheme.  I imagine it will increase the value of +Buy, particularly on turns where you have $7 or 9$ to spend or if you end up with one more than you need to buy an engine component.

I haven't playtested this so feedback would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Added "when bought" clause.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:17:36 pm by Kuraku256 »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Migrant Worker, a 1-cost card.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:10 am »

Basically, it's 'save $1 for later' if you buy it (assuming you have extra buys), but also drastically ups the value of upgrade type cards on coppers (as you're turning your coppers into one-shot Markets). It seems balanced enough in most cases, but doesn't really seem very interesting - if you have spare buys, you buy it, otherwise, you probably don't. There's no huge strategy about it, basically.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

flymolo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:35:26 am »

I don't know about balance.  But I like it.  It doesn't have deep strategy by itself, but it does change the way remake,remodel, develop work, and make +buy more interesting.  It's not quite a no brainer, because it can be drawn dead.

Kuraku256

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:01:38 pm »

I think it's a bit like Tunnel in that the strategy for it is entirely dependent on the other kingdom cards, the big difference being that the cards that work well with Migrant Worker are the ones that help you buy/gain it, rather than cards that help you use it.  I just need to figure out if it has enough interactions to be interesting.  Also, I realized it could be an infinite source of cards to buy with Goons, which is probably an interaction I don't want.

The top of the card should probably less universally useful, might use the effect from Oasis, Warehouse, or Mine, or just make it a treasure worth $2.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »

Weird thing to say about a $1 card but I think it may be overpowered.

I think it'd be more a $1 card if it was a bit like pawn, but with the recycle effect:

That is, pick two out of +$1, +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy, then return it to the supply.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:34:02 pm »

Migrant Worker
Type: Action
Cost: $1
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
________
When this card is discarded from play or trashed, return it to the supply.

Came up with this when trying to think of a 1-cost card that would work well with Upgrade, Remake, and Develop.  I decided to have it return to the supply rather than trash itself so that it will effect the entire game rather than just the beginning and it doesn't return until the end of the clean-up so that it can interact with cards like Horn of Plenty and Scheme.  I imagine it will increase the value of +Buy, particularly on turns where you have $7 or 9$ to spend or if you end up with one more than you need to buy an engine component.

I haven't playtested this so feedback would be much appreciated.

This sounds like an incredibly powerful card in a Goons game.  In fact, it might cause degenerate games that never end with the "return it to the supply" clause.  Without that though, you might have something there.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10767
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:39 pm »

I feel like it might need some sort of "when you buy then, +1 buy." Or, if that's too powerful, "when you buy this, if it was the first Migrant Worker you bought this turn, +1 buy."

Otherwise, on boards without +buy (and without Remake or Upgrade), this card is basically never worth buying, except if you happen to get stuck with $2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:36 pm »

Adding on to the Goons comments, Goons+Watchtower let's you use all your buys on just this card, even if you have more than 10:

1. Get 1 or more Goons in play
2. Buy Migrant Worker, getting points from Goons
3. Gain Migrant Worker
4. Reveal Watchtower, trashing Migrant Worker
5. Migrant Worker returns to the supply

Giving +1 buy when you buy it would turn this into infinite points.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 01:11:38 pm »

Otherwise, on boards without +buy (and without Remake or Upgrade), this card is basically never worth buying, except if you happen to get stuck with $2.

True, but I don't think that is any different than many of the $2 cards.  Depending on the board, there are a number of $2s that can get skipped over even if you do have an extra buy and the spare coins.

Giving +1 buy when you buy it would turn this into infinite points.

As long as you played one Bridge or Highway.

Kuraku256

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »

Added "When you buy this card, you cannot buy any more cards this turn" to the original post. That should get rid of abuse with Goons, though its still a good buy for a Goons deck. I don't like having to triggered effects like that on one card.  I could change the effect that returns it to the supply so that it return when played and thus is on the top of the card and it would be trashed normally but I prefer the current version.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:52 pm »

As long as you played one Bridge or Highway.

d'oh! Right, of course...maybe I should refrain from posting while I'm in class... :p
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:13 pm »

The trash becomes return part of the card is totally unnecessary.

Otherwise, I actually like the card as written.  Goons can solve its own problems or something I don't care.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 10:31:31 pm »

"If you buy this card in Alabama, roll a standard die.  On a roll of 3 or less, the local sheriff takes the card from you and locks it in a cell for deportation."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.