Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 658767 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1175 on: June 09, 2016, 11:55:34 pm »
+1

There's a MLP x Ace Attorney crossover called Turnabout Storm. It's better than it sounds. It's also very long, about 9 hours total, so watch out for binging.

Another fan group is making a sequel called Elements of Justice. Like most fanworks it'll either never get finished or come out heavily behind schedule, but the trailer is great.

I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 10, 2016, 12:25:40 am »
+1

I got excited about a new Phoenix Wright game for nothing. :( Those fan games tricked me.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 10, 2016, 03:11:47 pm »
+1

Casual 5$ dominion tournament at a local coffee shop today.

I'm merely speculating on what the rule and sets will be, but: crash course on 4p base Dominion please.  Is Thief good?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 10, 2016, 03:19:22 pm »

I'm merely speculating on what the rule and sets will be, but: crash course on 4p base Dominion please.  Is Thief good?

If at least two other players ate buying lots of Silver and Gold, AND you can increase your hand size, then yes-ish?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 10, 2016, 03:24:58 pm »

It's better, but still bad.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 10, 2016, 04:00:53 pm »

Ok, skip Thief, do I buy Gardens when other people do?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 10, 2016, 04:01:53 pm »

Ok, skip Thief, do I buy Gardens when other people do?

That's incredibly hard to answer.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 10, 2016, 04:05:12 pm »
+1

I'm looking for easy answers here.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 10, 2016, 04:07:45 pm »
+3

"depends on the board." If everyone starts grabbing Gardens, well, is the game going to end soon or not? If so, you'd better start Greening. If not, go Provinces. If you do something different from everyone else who wants to do the same thing, you usually win just from doing that.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1798
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 10, 2016, 04:35:52 pm »
+1

"depends on the board." If everyone starts grabbing Gardens, well, is the game going to end soon or not? If so, you'd better start Greening. If not, go Provinces. If you do something different from everyone else who wants to do the same thing, you usually win just from doing that.

This is key. It's not an universal rule, but it's a good rule of thumb for when splits matter. (most prominently alt-vp and engine component piles, but it's also valid for attacks: you probably don't need to grab a Militia yourself if everybody else already has one).
Piles may evaporate fast, keep that in mind if you want to build an Engine.
Keep track of your opponents' scores, because surprise 3-piles are often how you gain an advantage.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: June 10, 2016, 07:06:20 pm »
+2

Just played a game of Splatoon. I thought it was going really well - map seemed to be mostly our colour for most of the game, I was picking up a decent number of kills and not dying all that much. And I was using the H-3 Nozzlenose, which is often considered the worst or at least one of the worst weapons in the game (although I was using the new version which is a big improvement in terms of sub and special weapons). In the last 30 seconds I'm in their base, covering their area and surviving pretty well. My teammates are nowhere to be seen, but I've got two guys trying to stop me. Eventually one of them manages to get the kill with about 5 seconds left, and I just quickly check the map to see if we've won. Their base is completely yellow (our colour), the rest of the map is pink. Uhh, what? What were my teammates even doing? The game ends, and I'm the top turfer on our team and have a K/D of 7/2 - basically I played very well. The rest of my team has a total of two kills between them. And about 20 deaths. And their turfing wasn't anything impressive either. Also, the new H-3 has a more support and defense oriented kit, so it's hardly like I was stealing their kills - if anything I was helping them survive and get the kills themselves as I defended them.

Sometimes playing co-op online games sucks.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 11, 2016, 07:10:10 am »

I'm not familiar with that game, but from your story, I'm not convinced you played well. If you had abilities to help your teammates survive, why the hell would you be in the enemy base alone?
Shouldn't you be aware of what your teammates are doing in a team game?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 11, 2016, 10:01:18 am »

I'm not familiar with that game, but from your story, I'm not convinced you played well. If you had abilities to help your teammates survive, why the hell would you be in the enemy base alone?

no, KDR of 3.5 is very good in any sort of shooter game.  Sometimes the guys on your team are just awful.  I don't play splatoon, and I am not very good at FPS, but I know some FPS game theory from Call of Duty and Battlefront and such.  If you go 7-2 and your team goes 2-20....you know you just got screwed by having a terrible team. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 11, 2016, 10:04:19 am »

Fair criticism. I'm no expert at the game. The abilities eren't explicitly to help teammates - basically it has a wall you can temporarily throw up to block some attacks which you'll usually use to put between you and an enemy, but of course allies can benefit to, and it's special weapon is a bubble shield which protects you from all attacks for ~6 seconds, and also spreads to protect allies if they're nearby. It's about 50/50 whether that second aspect gets taken advantage of - basically depending on if there's teammates nearby. So basically, while these abilities do help allies, they're also good for fighting solo. As for awareness of teammates - yes and no. The game has no voice chat and I was playing the unranked mode Turf War, where teamwork is significantly less important, so it doesn't matter too much if you go rambo away from teammates. In some ways it's a good thing, since it covers more turf, and that's the goal of the game.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #1189 on: June 11, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »

It's no Emperor, but Overlord is decent enough I guess.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 12, 2016, 07:23:08 pm »
+3

I made tied for second/third, first, and first in my games. 

It was veto mode, and game 1 Village, Militia, Cellar, Witch, Woodcutter, Moat, Gardens and Library were on the board.  I was going second.  I vetoed Moat, in hopes that the average random Dominion player would undervalue attacks a lot so the Moat would make mine stronger.  Also having a Moat to reveal at the right times seems RNG.  I was correct, but not correct enough to win through 4$ t3/t4/t5/t6, player 1 bought Witch on his first 5 and never bought a Witch ever again, Player 3 never bought any attacks even though I skipped Militia in hopes he'd do it for me.  In hindsight I probably should have vetoed Witch.  The player who actually won wasn't player one at all, it was the Gardens player.  My slow start and the 4 extra Gardens in the supply made the "counter Witch with Gardens" dream real, though with 1 fewer card in his deck he would have lost.
Rounds 2 and 3 added Seaside
Game 2 had Fishing Village, Market, Woodcutter, Smithy, Gardens, Salvager, Laboratory, and Moneylender.  That was either the game I vetoed Ghost Ship to reduce first player advantage or the game I vetoed Explorer for not being a sufficiently appealing trap.  I relied on a single Salvager for trashing so that the Fishing Village/Smithy deck could get good value out of the Gardens pile.  Player 1 started with Moneylender, and bought a later Salvager that was mostly used to trash Provinces for Provinces and accelerate the game so my engine's score couldn't catch up.  With 12 Provinces in the stack and little participation from the other player it wasn't fast enough, though. I won by about 12 points or so.
Game 3 had Wharf, Native Village, no other Villages, Bureaucrat (I remember because well someone bought one), Merchant Ship, Adventurer, Pearl Diver, and Island.  Seems like maybe there was a low power-level trasher in there, but not Lookout OH!, Remodel.
Both other players opened 5/2.  I feel like if you open 5/2 on this board, you buy Wharf/nothing and go straight big money, right?  I would think it's probably a little bit faster than the Wharf engine can manage to get set up.  Both players did open Wharf and made an immediate recognition of how powerful it was even though I was the only one who had played with it before.  Unfortunately they made an immediate recognition of how powerful Pearl Diver was as well.  If you DON'T get 5/2, like I did, I think the correct thing is to go engine, so that's what I did.  It's also probably more correct when the other players are going to do worse than Wharf BM, and when you want to dodge the variance of missing 5$ being more tragic for the BM strategy than the engine strategy (actually, as an engine player I think I actively incited that tragedy early by opening Remodel, though it is perhaps more correct to stick with Silver until you get the first Wharf into your deck).

The funnest turn of the night is when I managed to draw 8$ and 3+buys when there were 4 Native Villages remaining and only 1 Native Village in any of my opponents' decks.  So I piledrove the Native Villages to cut all the other players off from engine strategies, and made the Pearl Divers they were purchasing more painful.

Native Village turns take a little while to resolve, and it took me longer to draw my whole deck game 3 than it did game 2.  One of the other players said he thought it was "boring", although I was playing rather quickly.  It was at least objectively the case that I took no longer on any one action than the two or three times he went into the tank about which card to Salvage.  I responded to his complaints by explaining I had to select whatever strategy seemed best for the board, and he accepted that.  I wonder if whether turning point experiences such as this are what keeps Dominion from getting more tabletime at board game meetup groups like this that end up leaving Dominion in a mix of other games that are mostly lower calibur (even not including Dominion in the mix at all).

The player who organized the tournament was probably pretty good, but I never got to play him.  I tied with him for first place since he had the same record.  I won 12.50$, which was a profit of 7.50$.  It's a lot more money than I made playing super smash bros and MtG, since those figures are negative!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 13, 2016, 09:38:00 am »

Pot of Greed sounds hilarious. And yes, I looked it up. Pot of Greed is banned. What kind of game that has a single card that lets you draw two is so OP that it has to be banned?

Dominion is actually the outlier in this respect, I think. In my limited experience, other deck builders tend to make card drawing much rarer and/or more expensive. Which is fair, since it can be a real drag to wait while another player painstakingly plays their entire deck each turn.

As an example, Bill (in pokemon tcg) was identical to pot of greed and almost every competitive deck ran 4 of it. Card/hand advantage is huge in most card games. It's big in dominion too, but one difference there is you have to work to get your labs. You don't just burn through 2 cards in your deck. Furthermore, in a game like Ygo, your deck only has 40 cards and your goal is to get to your good stuff. Reducing the work to get there is incredibly powerful.

There's also the thing where a draw card in a lot of card games can be balanced through costs. YGO has no resources, so basically whenever you draw your Pot of Greed, you do not only replace it, making it more likely to draw the cards you want (deck thinning or sifting), but it also increases your hand size by 1. For absolutely free. This in a game where you get one card/turn. Basically, in YGO cards are THE resources you have. Imagine starting with a Silver instead of a Copper in your starting deck. That's basically how good Pot of Greed is.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 13, 2016, 11:31:49 am »
+1

You need to analyze Pot of Greed and Bill based on the delta.  It's not 1 card that lets you draw 2, it's zero cards that let you draw 1, essentially.

It naturally becomes an auto 4 of in every deck, then increases variance a little bit by helping out whoever sees more of theirs in any particular game.  The game is strictly better without that variance added.

It would be like adding one $0*, +buy when gained Lab for each player to the standard piles of Gold, Silver, Copper, etc.  It doesn't destroy the game, but it's not actually adding a decision point and is adding a little variance so it's not doing any good for the game.

I'm not sure it's really appropriate to do words like "broken" to describe it, because a lot of other banworthy things have a higher cap on how powerful they get, and because in games like that cards that can reliably perform about as well as Bill but only for specific strategies are tolerated because they don't harm diversity as much.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 13, 2016, 12:49:37 pm »

I decided to check out what time Nintendo's broadcast this E3 is, and so naturally their official E3 page seemed like a good place to look.

http://e3.nintendo.com/

Well okay.

(I do know what this is about, before anyone thinks I'm confused)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:50:39 pm by Tables »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 13, 2016, 01:54:10 pm »

I decided to check out what time Nintendo's broadcast this E3 is, and so naturally their official E3 page seemed like a good place to look.

http://e3.nintendo.com/

Well okay.

(I do know what this is about, before anyone thinks I'm confused)

Huh. On my Windows machine (w/Chrome), the symbol eventually went away and was replaced by a page. On my Mac (Firefox), the symbol just sits there and glows.

EDIT: It's Firefox that seems to be the issue. Chrome on my Mac works fine.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:55:45 pm by LastFootnote »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 13, 2016, 03:17:07 pm »

Oh, I didn't realise the symbol eventually disappeared. Seems to need to wait a rather long time though. I've had it up at least a minute or so (Chrome) and nothing has happened yet, it just continues to glow.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9190
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 13, 2016, 05:31:55 pm »
+6

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12874
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1197 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:51 pm »
+3

I just realized that whenever I kill a mosquito, I contribute towards the evolution of future mosquito generations being harder to kill.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:56 pm »

I just realized that whenever I kill a mosquito, I contribute towards the evolution of future mosquito generations being harder to kill.

Have mosquitos really changed at all recently?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3247
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 14, 2016, 08:19:46 pm »
+1

Have mosquitos really changed at all recently?

That does not seem to be the implication.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 17 queries.