Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: To rush or not to rush - annotated  (Read 1105 times)

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
To rush or not to rush - annotated
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:35:29 pm »

Here is an interesting Kingdom I played recently:

Code: [Select]
Squire, Vagrant, Forager, Hermit, Gardens, Thief, Butcher, Graverobber, Witch, Altar

No one replied to my previous game report, so I'm not really sure if people liked it or thought it was too long or what.  I'm going to try something a bit different this time - I will comment less & use chess-style annotations.  For those unfamiliar with chess, the symbols are below.  Player skill is taken into account, so a good opener (for example) is uncommented b/c it is an expected move.

?? - Blunder, possibly leading to direct loss
? - Mistake
?! - Dubious move; probably bad, but leads to interesting/difficult decisions
!? - Interesting move; probably good, but unclear/difficult to execute
! - Good move
!! - Excellent move, possibly the game winner

Pregame thoughts: I was pretty unclear what to do beyond getting a Witch ASAP.  I decided on getting a Hermit to cleanup anticipated curses and build up some money, a couple forgers to get rid of Copper, and maybe a bunch of Graverobbers for trash and replace Provinces.  There is a nice Squire-Hermit (or Curse)-Garden rush, which I did not see but my opponent went for.

Player 1: kassy (iso 32)
Player 2: ThaddeusB (iso 29)
Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140825/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1409019186815.txt

kassyThaddeusBComments
Turn 1buys Hermitbuys Hermit
Turn 2buys Squirebuys Silver
Turn 3plays Hermitbuys Squire !I bought this squire specifically to trash with my Hermit for a Witch next hand.
gains SquireAlthough I don't realize it yet, kassy is setting up a Gardens strategy nicely.
buys Squire !
Turn 4buys Silverbuys Altar !?I got a surprise 6 here and decided I could wait on Witch.  I'm not sure about the wisdom of this choice, but it worked out.
Turn 5plays Squireplays HermitMy Hermit misses the shuffle, a bad break delaying my ability to get a Witch.
plays Squiretrashes_Overgrown_Estate
gains Silvergains Forager
buys Witchbuys Silver
Turn 6plays Hermitbuys Foragerkassy executes the Squire->Witch trick nicely
trashes Squire
gains Witch
gains Squire
buys Squire
Turn 7plays Squireplays SquireIt is right around here when I realized kassy was going for a Gardens rush.  Figuring I'd contest the pile, I got a Butcher to try trash and replace on the Gardens.  In retrospect the move seems highly questionable.
buys Squireplays Forager
buys Squiretrashes Squire
gains Witch
plays Altar
trashes Hovel
gains Butcher ?!
Turn 8plays Necropolis plays ForagerTaking a Butcher was questionable for me, but downright bad kassy.  He shouldn't be wasting a buy on it given he is going for a rush.
plays Witchtrashes Copper
plays Squireplays Hermit
plays Hermittrashes Curse
gains Squiregains Squire
buys Butcher ?buys Vagrant
buys Vagrant
Turn 9plays Squirebuys GoldI am behind and I figure the best I can do is try to pick up enough Provinces quickly to outlast the rush, so a Gold is a nice hit.
plays Squire
plays Squire
buys Vagrant
buys Vagrant
gains Vagrant
gains Vagrant
gains Vagrant
Turn 10plays Squireplays VagrantThe greening rush begins with a nice 2-in-1 hit for me.
plays Witchplays Forager
buys Gardenstrashes Copper
plays Altar
trashes Necropolis
gains Gardens
buys Gardens
Turn 11plays Squireplays Vagrant
buys Gardensplays Forager
buys Coppertrashes Copper
buys Copperplays Hermit
trashes Curse
gains Vagrant
buys Silver
Turn 12plays Squireplays SquireI could have taken two Gardens here, but elect for the Province.  I don't mind losing the Garden split - I just can't afford to lose it 8-0.
plays Squireplays Witch
plays Butcherplays Butcher
buys Gardensuses 1 coin token
buys Copperbuys Province
buys Copper
Turn 13plays Vagrantplays VagrantI trade a Silver and all of my coin tokens for the last two Gardens, so we split 4-4.  Its an interesting choice - perhaps keeping my stuff and accepting a 5-3 split was better, but this did make things hard on kassy because he'll need his Gardens to be worthy a lot more than mine to win (he outnumbers me 36-222 cards already).
plays Vagrantplays Forager
plays Squiretrashes Copper
plays Witchplays Squire
plays Hermitplays Butcher
trashes Cursetrashes Silver
gains Vagrantuses 1 coin token
buys Gardensgains Gardens
uses 2 coin tokens !?
buys Gardens
Turn 14plays Squireplays VagrantKassy forces the issue by taking two Vagrants instead of, for example, two Estates.  I respond with the Duchy and now we are both looking to force the three pile ending.
plays Necropolisplays Witch
plays Squirebuys Duchy !
buys Vagrant !
buys Vagrant !
buys Copper
Turn 15plays Squireplays VagrantHis Gardens upgrade and I have no choice but to take all the green I can or else he can three-pile me.
plays Vagrantplays Forager
plays Witchtrashes Silver
uses_2_coin_tokensplays Altar
buys Duchytrashes Copper
gains Duchy
buys Estate
Turn 16plays Squireplays Butcher
buys Estatetrashes Forager !
buys Estateuses 2 coin tokens
buys Coppergains Duchy
buys Estate
Turn_17plays Vagrantplays VagrantIn the end it is I who force the three-pile with a little help from a curse to take the lead first.  Just in time too - he was a maximum of 2 turns from leveling up the Gardens.
plays Vagrantplays Squire
plays Necropolisplays Witch
plays Squireplays Hermit
buys Duchytrashes Curse
buys Coppergains Vagrant
buys Copperbuys Vagrant

Analysis: My pre-game plan was not a good one, but I adapted well and managed to pull out the win.  The Altar was very helpfully in my ability to hold off the 3 pile ending (by gaining Duchies).  Still, I have to think I mostly got lucky. kassy certainly had the better game plan; perhaps that strange Butcher buy cost him the win.  (He got some use of it, but an extra Gardens would have almost certainly been better.)

Other thoughts?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: To rush or not to rush - annotated
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:06:46 am »

The witch isn't strong here. Hermits will clean up the deck quite easily and set up a silver rich deck with squires for for gardens and duchy points. If you're going for a province scoring deck then you probably still need to be able to contest gardens so butcher and altar might be ideal for that.

Is there an interesting concept deck here, trashing down with hermit and forager then using graverobber with 5 cost cards? Looks too fancy really even if you could keep using hermits and madmen for draws. I'm guessing an uncontested gardens deck will just beat that with 5 point gardens.

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
Re: To rush or not to rush - annotated
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »

The witch isn't strong here. Hermits will clean up the deck quite easily and set up a silver rich deck with squires for for gardens and duchy points. If you're going for a province scoring deck then you probably still need to be able to contest gardens so butcher and altar might be ideal for that.

Is there an interesting concept deck here, trashing down with hermit and forager then using graverobber with 5 cost cards? Looks too fancy really even if you could keep using hermits and madmen for draws. I'm guessing an uncontested gardens deck will just beat that with 5 point gardens.

If I'm going to have to contest gardens,then alter if definitely a strong card. I just don't want to give myself too much credit for the buy since I had missed gardens at the time. I picked it up to try to spam Graverobber, which never happened.  Butcher I'm less sure of - it can help pick up a garden,site,but only at the cost of a card I probably want to keep (eg silver). Maybe it can upgrade a garden, but to gold is probably to slow and to Duchy isn't much help.

Witch isn't a power card on this board,certainly, but it is the only draw (except madman),so is still fairly useful. I probably should have looked for chances to convert hermit to madman though if I'm going for 8 coin hands
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.