Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: [RPG] D&D 4e Signup and Character Creation  (Read 8793 times)

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] D&D 4e Signup and Character Creation
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »

Grujah: yeah, I don't think any of us have experience with pbf campaigns, but if you're willing to try it we'll already have a solid group going.

I have experience DMing a PBF campaign, as I mentioned. It's not bad; you should give it a try. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I have to find another player - which is currently the case anyway, so no harm done.  ;)

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:24 am »

I have access to PHB1 and 2. After roughly reading over them, I think I shall give it a try if it is acceptable, I am thinking of a half elf bard but not entirely sure. Maybe a bard who like making up random stories.

I think I'll /in. I had a character concept that's never realized its potential (or even 2nd level), and I am amused at the idea of possibly unleashing him here.

The concept works best with a striker, so I would like to claim one of those. Ranger works for what I'm thinking, but barbarian would work too.

Quick question: Would worshiping a false god be punishable by most polite society? Not that I want to create a new god. I just want to worship a god that no one else acknowledges.

Maybe you should do a knowledge check of some sort, but
"I have never saw a society that accept worshiping deities that they don't even know, when I was traveling through those 26 kingdoms in the hinterlands."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:11:16 am by Gveoniz »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 09:35:34 am »

I didn't really explain the god situation very well, but that's not surprising since I wasn't ready to flesh out all the details.

And, actually, I think that worshiping Kord works just fine for this character. He just comes from a tribe that believes that Kord has a special afterlife for them.

Considering the character's background, he'll be considered a bit backwards in some areas, so barbarian would be reasonable. I just don't have the PHB2, so I'll have to pick powers that sound cool. Although, I may just do a two-weapon fighting ranger. I'll mull that over. I've played a ranger up to 7th level, so I kind of remember how they can be played. Never played a 4E barbarian.
A man has no signature

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »

And, actually, I think that worshiping Kord works just fine for this character. He just comes from a tribe that believes that Kord has a special afterlife for them.
Urgh, take it to RSP.
Sincerely,
A true follower of Kord.

:)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 04:03:22 pm »

ok, /in, if it is ok with everyone that I might quit if this turns out not to be "for me".

Read the fluff. Will need to brush up on 4e rules, as I've only skimmed them ages ago. I can choose my character last, to fit what the party needs. My go-to class has always been The Bard, and I hear he is even more awesome in 4e, but I am open to basically anything (and might even want to get out of my comfort zone :) ).

Short gaming history/style: Started playing 4 years ago, with breaks. I am more of a roleplayer than powergamer, played few campaigns (not many) mostly in DnD 3.5E. Past 3 campaigns I've been in I've DMed (2x Pathfinder 1x Custom Setting) so I'm quite happy to get to play something at last :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:18:04 pm by Grujah »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »

I won't be playing (one PBF RPG is enough), but I do want to follow this.

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2013, 05:22:46 pm »

I didn't really explain the god situation very well, but that's not surprising since I wasn't ready to flesh out all the details.

Considering the character's background, he'll be considered a bit backwards in some areas, so barbarian would be reasonable. I just don't have the PHB2, so I'll have to pick powers that sound cool. Although, I may just do a two-weapon fighting ranger. I'll mull that over. I've played a ranger up to 7th level, so I kind of remember how they can be played. Never played a 4E barbarian.

I'll PM you a list of available powers and what they do when we get that far. I didn't actually expect players to own any of the books themselves.

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 05:24:05 pm »

I have access to PHB1 and 2. After roughly reading over them, I think I shall give it a try if it is acceptable, I am thinking of a half elf bard but not entirely sure. Maybe a bard who like making up random stories.

I think I'll /in. I had a character concept that's never realized its potential (or even 2nd level), and I am amused at the idea of possibly unleashing him here.

The concept works best with a striker, so I would like to claim one of those. Ranger works for what I'm thinking, but barbarian would work too.

Quick question: Would worshiping a false god be punishable by most polite society? Not that I want to create a new god. I just want to worship a god that no one else acknowledges.

Maybe you should do a knowledge check of some sort, but
"I have never saw a society that accept worshiping deities that they don't even know, when I was traveling through those 26 kingdoms in the hinterlands."

Half-elf bard could be fun, and still fits one of our needs too.

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 05:28:06 pm »

Also, we now have a "full" party of five; thanks everyone. If you're still interested but hadn't signed up yet, feel free to PM me - hopefully this group will have a good run, but if someone should have to drop out down the line, first chance at a replacement would of course go to anyone who'd expressed interest ahead of time.

Watno, Kuildeous, and Gveoniz: When you're sure what class you'd like, let me know, and we'll start going through the details of your choices via PM. As I said above, I don't expect you to own any of the materials yourself; I'll send you a list of your choices and what they do at each step.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »

I was under the impression that I am 4th player.  :o

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 05:41:03 pm »

No, you're the 5th.

I'll be an Invoker then, if Grujah is ok with going for a striker.

My character will be human, but it would be cool if there was a goblin or orc in his ancestry, but far enough away so it isn't obvious. Maybe the grandfather? Is that possible?

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 05:54:07 pm »

It might still be obvious at that point - how about great-grandfather? (Your choice in the end, but an orc grandfather seems like that'd still be a half-orc race). Actually, great-grandfather also puts it in the right time range to have been a result of Azarr Kull's attempt to conquer the Vale. How's a hobgoblin great-grandfather sound?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

pretty cool.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2013, 06:06:58 pm »

It might still be obvious at that point - how about great-grandfather? (Your choice in the end, but an orc grandfather seems like that'd still be a half-orc race). Actually, great-grandfather also puts it in the right time range to have been a result of Azarr Kull's attempt to conquer the Vale. How's a hobgoblin great-grandfather sound?

I though we killed all of the ugly bastards after the war  :P

KK, Striker it is!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2013, 06:08:26 pm »

Could I get a link to SRD or similar document?

Ugh, there doesn't seem to be such a thing. I guess I'll.. uhm.. buy the books tonight.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:14:54 pm by Grujah »

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2013, 06:15:47 pm »

Ugh, there doesn't seem to be such a thing. I guess I'll.. uhm.. buy the books tonight.

The rules link is in the first post; don't feel like you have to buy the books. I'll send you all the info for character creation if you let me know which class/classes you're interested in.

On that note, Watno and Gveoniz: I've sent you both PMs with the next step of character creation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:17:17 pm by WinterSpartan »

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »

KK, Striker it is!

Doesn't mean there wasn't a conception during the war :P

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2013, 06:40:55 pm »

The rules link is in the first post; don't feel like you have to buy the books. I'll send you all the info for character creation if you let me know which class/classes you're interested in.

On that note, Watno and Gveoniz: I've sent you both PMs with the next step of character creation.
I think "buy" is in italics for a reason  ;)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2013, 06:41:43 pm »

KK, Striker it is!

Doesn't mean there wasn't a conception during the war :P
I think he might be referring to Watno's character specifically.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »

I was referring to them goblins in general. I also did put buy in italic intentionally.

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 06:44:56 pm »

I was referring to them goblins in general. I also did put buy in italic intentionally.

As a Lawful Good DM, I'm going to pretend I didn't notice that.  ::)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 10:15:54 am »

And, I'm a Human Sorcerer (or I guess, possibly a Sorceresses :D ).

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 11:04:45 am »

Quick question: do a team mainly consist of Arcane class works in 4e? Maybe it is just my bias from 3e, but they seems to have low health.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 11:23:09 am »

I hope it does. To me it seems that power souce is much less relevant to survival capabilities than the role now. (Striker, Leader and such).
Bard do not seem as squishy as before, and Swordsmage is kind of a Fighter variant. Invoker might be the squishiest among us.

My second choice was Avenger, and later I realized that we already had 2 Arcanes, but Sorc was too fun to pass. (Winter also said that Sorc was his favorite of my choices (which basically included everything except Warlock), so I think  that means that it can work and that we aren't that squishy)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:26:29 am by Grujah »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 11:23:32 am »

Quick question: do a team mainly consist of Arcane class works in 4e? Maybe it is just my bias from 3e, but they seems to have low health.

Kind of depends. In 4E, the roles are the big thing. You can have an arcane defender (swordmage), which would be able to hold his own more so than a controller (wizard).

Typically, regardless of origins, strikers will be glass cannons, controllers will also be fragile, leaders will be sort of hearty, and defenders can take several hits. Some classes will epitomize these generalizations more than others, of course.

I guess I'll toss in my official choice. I'll play a human ranger. How many points are we doing for attributes anyway?
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.