Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 09:27:52 pm 
Started by anordinaryman - Last post by LTaco
I have a few guesses

- Sometimes, complex cards are genuinely worse because they only happen absent a great idea. Like, if you have a unique idea, you make it into a simple card and are done with it. If you don't have a unique idea, you just start tagging on stuff onto a card (and then maybe scrap/re-add/modify) until you sort of have something. This is not always how complex cards are created, but if it is, it may well be justified that they don't do well

- Complex cards have more components and hence more to criticize. Especially relevant if, to whatever degree, you adopt a measure based on how many flaws you can detect rather than the more subjective sense of how excited you are by the card

- When you design a card, understanding it feels like a trivial cost/buy-in compared to the value that the card provides as an idea or if it were/is played with. But if you judge (or even just read other cards) then you have no prior investment into most designs, so trying to get the hang of it can feel like a significant cost. This can create a negative vibe and since everyone secretly decides everything on vibes, that lowers chances significantly

- As a judge, you don't want it to look like anyone can win the contest by force. E.g., say we make a contest and everyone submits a simple design except one person who makes a 5-step traveler line. If you give the win to that person, it sort of looks like you're rewarding the most work rather than the best idea. (This is probably the weakest point though, and in fact high effort cards don't tend to get a lot of upvotes from other people, either.)

It altogether seems like most people primarily like the "oh that's really clean and clever" type cards.

I feel like there is a bias towards cards that are always relevant in any kingdom, as in cards that fit into most "normal" engine strategies. On the other hand, card that need some more niche conditions to be viable, but don't drift too far into the realm of "this card is garbage unless in this 1% of kingdoms where it is all you care about", are often dismissed because of it.
It is very easy to design a card that doesn't work. It is pretty easy to design a card by looking at cards that already exist and simply remixing the things that are proven to work well and then be reasonably confident the result will also work. It is much harder to design a functioning card that actually has the property above.

I'd argue that the effect is stronger in contests with very open prompts. The more specific the requirements, the harder it is to design an adequate card. Maybe people have a tendency to submit cards that just clear the bar for entry instead of withholding their entry when the deadline draws near, even though they themselves would admit that the card could still use some work.

on: Today at 06:52:07 pm 
Started by czzzz - Last post by Tiago

on: Today at 02:41:58 pm 
Started by theory - Last post by Donald X.
I know there is a lot of talk about a Dark Ages 2E, but do you consider 2Es for more modern expansions like Nocturne? Or Deluxe versions (i.e. just 100 extra cards but no outtakes)?
I've learned the hard way that I can't answer questions like this.

on: Today at 01:43:32 pm 
Started by czzzz - Last post by BryGuy
:)

Book Store • $5 • Action - Duration
+1 Action
Set aside the top three Deck cards face down. Now and at the start of your next two turns, reveal one. If you reveal ...
an Action, +1 Card and +1 Action,
a Treasure, +1 Buy and +$1.
At Clean-up, discard the revealed cards.

:)

on: Today at 06:33:45 am 
Started by theory - Last post by grrgrrgrr
I know there is a lot of talk about a Dark Ages 2E, but do you consider 2Es for more modern expansions like Nocturne? Or Deluxe versions (i.e. just 100 extra cards but no outtakes)?

on: Today at 02:37:38 am 
Started by theory - Last post by Donald X.
DZ is like something you're trying to remember that everyone else wants you to forget.

Quote from: BoardGameGeek
Donald X. is like something you've forgotten that no-one wants you to remember.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/10525/donald-x-vaccarino
Also https://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18150.msg741757#msg741757

on: Today at 12:00:41 am 
Started by theory - Last post by LibraryAdventurer
DZ is like something you're trying to remember that everyone else wants you to forget.

Quote from: BoardGameGeek
Donald X. is like something you've forgotten that no-one wants you to remember.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/10525/donald-x-vaccarino

There should be a link from that page to this thread. Then we could play Scepter and go infinite.

on: May 08, 2024, 11:13:35 pm 
Started by czzzz - Last post by BryGuy
Card Fusions #30
Hamlet & Archive
:)                         :)                         :)

on: May 08, 2024, 09:52:22 pm 
Started by Yitzi - Last post by Tiago
Here's the scenario:
I play Lighthouse.
On the next turn, my opponent (for simplicity, it's a 2p game) plays Corsair.
On my next turn, I play an Outpost, so I get another turn.

Question 1: Do I ignore the Corsair on my first turn after it's played, even though the Lighthouse has "expired"?  Answer seems to me to be a pretty clear yes; it's official (even on the wiki page for Lighthouse) that the Lighthouse needs to be in play when the attack card is played in order to be effect, and this would just be the flip side of that.
Question 2: Do I ignore the Corsair on my second turn after it's played?  Still seems like a pretty clear yes, by the same token.
Question 3, and this is where it gets interesting: When do I discard the Lighthouse from play?  Does protecting me from the Corsair count as "something to do" on the second turn after the Corsair is played, causing the Lighthouse (as a Duration card) to stay in play, or has it already "done" everything when the Corsair was played, meaning that it's discarded at the end of the turn it gives the second coin (i.e. the first turn after the Corsair is played)?
1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - discard it from play on your first turn. The Lighthouse blocks the Corsair when the Corsair is played.

Edit: and if you didn't play a Lighthouse, you're affected on both turns.

on: May 08, 2024, 09:26:12 pm 
Started by Yitzi - Last post by Yitzi
Here's the scenario:
I play Lighthouse.
On the next turn, my opponent (for simplicity, it's a 2p game) plays Corsair.
On my next turn, I play an Outpost, so I get another turn.

Question 1: Do I ignore the Corsair on my first turn after it's played, even though the Lighthouse has "expired"?  Answer seems to me to be a pretty clear yes; it's official (even on the wiki page for Lighthouse) that the Lighthouse needs to be in play when the attack card is played in order to be effect, and this would just be the flip side of that.
Question 2: Do I ignore the Corsair on my second turn after it's played?  Still seems like a pretty clear yes, by the same token.
Question 3, and this is where it gets interesting: When do I discard the Lighthouse from play?  Does protecting me from the Corsair count as "something to do" on the second turn after the Corsair is played, causing the Lighthouse (as a Duration card) to stay in play, or has it already "done" everything when the Corsair was played, meaning that it's discarded at the end of the turn it gives the second coin (i.e. the first turn after the Corsair is played)?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 16 queries.