Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 338048 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 1 UNDERWAY)
« Reply #525 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:57 am »

@Robz, to be honest, post #440 applies somewhat here too. But that doesn't really address the fact that regardless if they knew or not what they were signing up for, they still have equal chance at having received a Mafia role PM as anybody else.

So with that in consideration, I find SFS to genuinely come across as lost at times. We (the populace) get so caught up in the ongoing conversation that we can get away with being a bit ambiguous. To someone reading through after and catching up, things may not seem so clear. As Mafia, it would be easy enough to pick out the things you do understand, and build a case around that. The last thing I would imagine a Mafia would do is take time to attempt to clarify most of those ambiguities, which is indeed what he's doing.

It makes it frustrating for you, as you get little substance, and maybe there is something scummy about that. But overall it just doesn't FEEL like Mafia play to me right now. If I were admittedly new, and Mafia, I would be more concerned with fitting/blending in.

Again, there are small things that suggest he's doing just that (the I'm a humor person too! Post), but I am inclined to lean town right now.

Sounds right to me.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 05, 2012, 01:29:40 am »

Robz, who do you think is Mafia?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 05, 2012, 01:30:21 am »

Robz, who do you think is Mafia?

You first.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 05, 2012, 01:32:39 am »

Did you not read #506 and #519?
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 05, 2012, 01:33:25 am »

Is the reversal of a question bad etiquette, or are you just ducking?
Posting begets posting.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 05, 2012, 01:33:59 am »

Given that you were asked first and never answered..

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 05, 2012, 01:37:37 am »

Did you not read #506 and #519?

Well, you didn't name names. Why should I?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 05, 2012, 01:42:00 am »

I answered to the best of my abilities in 506 and 519.

Now you MUST answer this:  Tell me why you think "How the hell would I know?  It's day one and I've never played the silly game.  I'm still building some sort of system by which to measure/decipher/track the game state, so I've not yet had the luxury of inferences." in 519 is my having "never answered".

UNVOTE
VOTE: ROBZ888 (because now I'm irked)
Posting begets posting.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 05, 2012, 01:44:27 am »

Now you MUST answer this:  Tell me why you think "How the hell would I know?  It's day one and I've never played the silly game.  I'm still building some sort of system by which to measure/decipher/track the game state, so I've not yet had the luxury of inferences." in 519 is my having "never answered".

UNVOTE

You use reads, or guess randomly. But you really seem to hate guessing randomly, since you voted for me for suggesting it. So I'd say use reads.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 05, 2012, 01:46:01 am »

UNVOTE

Try to understand. Your answer: "I suspect no one, I don't know anything," doesn't give me much to go off. You might as well have said nothing. This is why my suspicions tend to land on people who say things like that--because the mafia are the group of people who want to hedge, not say anything incriminating, etc. Especially if they are new players. Do you understand me?

I will tell you that I found Grujah jumping to vote Pops a little odd. And Theorel's post struck me as straight out of the mafia playbook.

Please don't vote for people who irk you. Vote for the mafia.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 05, 2012, 01:46:13 am »

I'm not sure that I'm as convinced as some of you that SFS is no longer suspicious (or maybe people are saying he's still suspicious but reading town). Galzria's right, he's no less likely to be mafia because he's new. And if he is that new I'm not sure he would fit our conventions of what a mafia would try to do. Even if he wanted to try to fit in, he may simply not know enough about the game to do it convincingly, so he hasn't tried.

I'm definitely not confident that he is mafia, but I'm not sure why people are already dismissing that possibility. I think if anything, he's hard to read so it's tough to be sure.

Also, I think I am somewhat more suspicious of pops after the exchanges this evening. Not only is his style offputting, but his defense of SFS from nowhere is baffling. He has been really abrupt and unclear, and has offered a bare minimum of reasoning behind his statements. Considering that he is one of the most experienced mafia players among us, I would have expected a lot more. I mean, I guess it would seem like he would go to more effort to look like a helpful townie if he were mafia, but I don't understand his strategies at all so far. It seems like he should be able to be really helpful and he's just not so far.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 05, 2012, 01:47:26 am »

I'm not sure that I'm as convinced as some of you that SFS is no longer suspicious (or maybe people are saying he's still suspicious but reading town). Galzria's right, he's no less likely to be mafia because he's new. And if he is that new I'm not sure he would fit our conventions of what a mafia would try to do. Even if he wanted to try to fit in, he may simply not know enough about the game to do it convincingly, so he hasn't tried.

I'm definitely not confident that he is mafia, but I'm not sure why people are already dismissing that possibility. I think if anything, he's hard to read so it's tough to be sure.

Also, I think I am somewhat more suspicious of pops after the exchanges this evening. Not only is his style offputting, but his defense of SFS from nowhere is baffling. He has been really abrupt and unclear, and has offered a bare minimum of reasoning behind his statements. Considering that he is one of the most experienced mafia players among us, I would have expected a lot more. I mean, I guess it would seem like he would go to more effort to look like a helpful townie if he were mafia, but I don't understand his strategies at all so far. It seems like he should be able to be really helpful and he's just not so far.

Crazy thought, but Pops and SFS could be masons.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 05, 2012, 01:51:49 am »

Possibly, but literally the only substantive thing I've seen from him so far makes it seem like he's actually suspicious of pops.

Who do I suspect?  I dont know.  I find it weird that Pops JUMPED to my (I think it was "my", but have asked for confirmation) defense with the "He's town, lay off him" comment in #371, but then in #469 ACCUSES me of deleting a post, a notion I have since rebuted (sp?).  (Anyone still wondering about my commitment to the notion of not deleting a post should be apparent by my three tries (at #322, 324, and 326) to unvote correctly in bold).  Pops was also the first responder (at#64) to my inquiry at potentially playing in the game.  In that response, he claimed "I was one of his favorite posters on f.DS".  Maybe he thought a newb would be easy to manipulate if he caught a Mafia role?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 05, 2012, 01:53:35 am »

Possibly, but literally the only substantive thing I've seen from him so far makes it seem like he's actually suspicious of pops.

Who do I suspect?  I dont know.  I find it weird that Pops JUMPED to my (I think it was "my", but have asked for confirmation) defense with the "He's town, lay off him" comment in #371, but then in #469 ACCUSES me of deleting a post, a notion I have since rebuted (sp?).  (Anyone still wondering about my commitment to the notion of not deleting a post should be apparent by my three tries (at #322, 324, and 326) to unvote correctly in bold).  Pops was also the first responder (at#64) to my inquiry at potentially playing in the game.  In that response, he claimed "I was one of his favorite posters on f.DS".  Maybe he thought a newb would be easy to manipulate if he caught a Mafia role?

Well, you're right. Said it before I thought it through.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 05, 2012, 01:55:46 am »

@Robz, the Mason thought occurred to me, but it would be WAY more beneficial to the town to keep it under wraps. The last thing we need is to be seeing "pairs", especially as we aren't sure Masons are in the game. So it would make sense to tip that hand only in the event of a likely lynch. There is no effective counter claim, but paints night time targets.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 05, 2012, 02:03:05 am »

... Even if he wanted to try to fit in, he may simply not know enough about the game to do it convincingly, so he hasn't tried.

Trust me, if I need to fit in, I can.  But my epiphany this afternoon (more like a DUH!) was "the mafia already know I'm not mafia, and I can't stop them from killing me, so I can't worry about them.  I need to make sure that the town knows I'm town."  Sometimes I'm a little slow.

Epiphany #2 - My always telling the truth in this game will confound people.
Epiphany #3 - If I am to be good at this game, I need to be able to leave my RL self out of it.  This is discouraging, as I don't have to rehearse to be myself.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 05, 2012, 02:09:44 am »

Which leads me to Epiphany #4:  I'm going to suck at this game.  Oh well.

I'm going to bed.  The vote for Robz stands, because removing it now might imply (see #534) that I think he is NOT mafia, and I don't know that he is not.

Tricksy hobbitses.
Posting begets posting.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 05, 2012, 02:10:28 am »

By the way, I am greatly looking forward to some posts by Tables, and Green Opal who have COMPLETELY dropped off the radar (moreso even than Glooble and Theoral). We're basically playing 4-men (or women) down today, and there is a better than average odds that one of the four is Mafia. Even greater that they are Mafia/Role. Their input and thoughts are very much wanted and needed.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 05, 2012, 02:13:13 am »

@Galz, I am looking forward to the same, but it's inevitable that we will not all be online and active at the same time. People are in different time zones, have different schedules, jobs, etc. I know I really don't need to tell you any of this but I don't want to see others get super suspicious of those who haven't posted much yet because they haven't been able.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 05, 2012, 02:14:38 am »

Which leads me to Epiphany #4:  I'm going to suck at this game.  Oh well.

I'm going to bed.  The vote for Robz stands, because removing it now might imply (see #534) that I think he is NOT mafia, and I don't know that he is not.

Tricksy hobbitses.

If you downplay your own ability to play this game one more time, I am going to vote for you. And I don't vote lightly!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 05, 2012, 02:15:57 am »

@Galz, I am looking forward to the same, but it's inevitable that we will not all be online and active at the same time. People are in different time zones, have different schedules, jobs, etc. I know I really don't need to tell you any of this but I don't want to see others get super suspicious of those who haven't posted much yet because they haven't been able.

Oh I don't mean that I was/am suspicious of any of those 4. Not outright anyway. Just that their voices will be greatly appreciated when they join in since it's highly likely that at least one got a non-VT PM.

Mafia Record:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 05, 2012, 02:17:51 am »

Oh I don't mean that I was/am suspicious of any of those 4. Not outright anyway. Just that their voices will be greatly appreciated when they join in since it's highly likely that at least one got a non-VT PM.

I got what you were saying but I don't want others to misinterpret what you said as suspicion.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 05, 2012, 02:18:30 am »

I got what you were saying but I don't want others to misinterpret what you said as suspicion.

Or at least, unduly strong suspicion.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 05, 2012, 02:19:22 am »

And I have to chuckle at 22 pages in ~18 hours. It's NUTS to me how adding just a handful more players can add up the post total, even when some are inactive. Anybody care to take bets on # pages at game end????

Mafia Record:

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 05, 2012, 02:22:02 am »

And I have to chuckle at 22 pages in ~18 hours. It's NUTS to me how adding just a handful more players can add up the post total, even when some are inactive. Anybody care to take bets on # pages at game end????
O can compile our guesses with our names, mod them to the # of players, and use that as his "seconds" marker to determine who his random vote will be on. Closest number wins.

Mafia Record:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 16 queries.