Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 352763 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #6600 on: March 08, 2024, 09:04:17 pm »

the description of women as emotional, and aggressive but in a dishonest, backwards sort of way, and subtly manipulative -- that's my model
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: March 09, 2024, 02:49:26 am »

:(

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6602 on: March 09, 2024, 06:21:26 am »

I don't think Candace Owens is particularly emotional though, or in general a very stereotypical woman at all. If I had to pick a woman to represent sexist stereotypes against women, I'd pick Central Park Karen.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: March 09, 2024, 05:48:50 pm »

Then I can leave after the inevitable downswing tomorrow

Ok still up on net which is more than I deserve

Let's not play like an ape from now on

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: March 09, 2024, 08:16:59 pm »

I think the polling gap is closing!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: March 10, 2024, 08:31:08 pm »

In the most unexpected of crossovers, Daniel Dennett was interviewed by David Pakman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSYK9VTqmQ

I am not watching this. Fuck Dennett.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: March 11, 2024, 04:25:47 am »

In the most unexpected of crossovers, Daniel Dennett was interviewed by David Pakman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSYK9VTqmQ

I am not watching this. Fuck Dennett.
I watched it so you don't have to!

Things I learned:
  • We are already living in the robot apocalypse because of LLMs
  • Truth has dissolved because video can now be deepfaked
  • Dennett was never wrong about anything in his entire life
  • Instead of worrying about real homelessness, I should be worrying about emotional homelessness because it makes people religious
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 04:28:37 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: March 11, 2024, 08:38:18 am »

Sounds right

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: March 11, 2024, 08:39:53 am »

The supreme court ruling seems so awful. It's bad that they overturned the decision, yes, but then the ruling also is overtly political and doesn't even seem to do a good job avoiding legal confusion in the future. Terrible!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: March 11, 2024, 09:07:19 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: March 11, 2024, 11:58:24 am »

So Awaclus, I have no idea if this is interesting to you but it's about music so~

There's this person in the QRI discord server whom I talked with a bunch about philosophy (and sometimes chess; they're a ridiculosuly good bullet chess player who can beat grandmasters despite apparently not being any good at strategy, which is super fascinating but has no relation to anything here). I once posted a link to the song Storm  and they said something about this being one of a few examples of amazing experiences they got from music because of some effect with two melodies playing over each other.

Here's them explaining it in detail:

I don't think I get it, like at all. Most of these examples don't sound like anything special to me. But if you happen to have thoughts on this, or examples of other instances of this effect, they'd probably appreciate it a lot.

Or I mean, feel free to ignore this completely.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: March 11, 2024, 12:04:02 pm »

This person has a lot of really weird takes but when I talk to them more about it I usually find it was worth it. Those examples are all from philosophy and/or consciousness stuff though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6612 on: March 11, 2024, 01:58:53 pm »

So Awaclus, I have no idea if this is interesting to you but it's about music so~

There's this person in the QRI discord server whom I talked with a bunch about philosophy (and sometimes chess; they're a ridiculosuly good bullet chess player who can beat grandmasters despite apparently not being any good at strategy, which is super fascinating but has no relation to anything here). I once posted a link to the song Storm  and they said something about this being one of a few examples of amazing experiences they got from music because of some effect with two melodies playing over each other.

Here's them explaining it in detail:

I'm not 100% sure they mean what I think they mean, but it sounds like they're describing very basic concepts of music theory. I don't think anything there is wrong per se, but basically all music ever contrasts things with other things, so it's not that good at explaining why some music causes more intense emotions than other music.

This person has a lot of really weird takes but when I talk to them more about it I usually find it was worth it. Those examples are all from philosophy and/or consciousness stuff though.

This is also true of MasN Hub users in competitive strategy games.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: March 11, 2024, 04:01:11 pm »

I'm not 100% sure they mean what I think they mean, but it sounds like they're describing very basic concepts of music theory. I don't think anything there is wrong per se, but basically all music ever contrasts things with other things, so it's not that good at explaining why some music causes more intense emotions than other music.

Yeah, I mean they did say that they don't know anything about music and certainly never claimed that this is advanced or anything. But even if it's basic, I mean it's not like this happens in every song. Most music just has a lead melody and everything else playing backup, not several melodies.

The thing that intruiges me is that they describe it as so extremely blissful. I've had very blissful experiences with music but I feel like they happen based on the emotional connection; I don't have anything comparable where I could describe a formula.

And well I like them so I just put some amount of effort into engaging if they bring sth up

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: March 11, 2024, 04:03:34 pm »

On the top of your head, what's the Birds of Necama song, if any, that most closely fits these criteria?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: March 11, 2024, 04:04:38 pm »

basically all music ever contrasts things with other things

Right but it was a bit more specific than that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6616 on: March 11, 2024, 06:07:27 pm »

Yeah, I mean they did say that they don't know anything about music and certainly never claimed that this is advanced or anything. But even if it's basic, I mean it's not like this happens in every song. Most music just has a lead melody and everything else playing backup, not several melodies.

Most music actually has several melodies. If you have chords, you automatically have a melody that emerges from the highest note of each chord, and it's common for chord progressions to have melodic elements in the lower notes as well (e.g. a sus4 -> major triad resolution). Even if you don't think that doesn't count because these won't be as prominent as the main e.g. lead vocal melody, it's not at all uncommon for there to be several melodies that are not tied to any instrument playing chords.

Consider the following song, which is a very representative hit pop song of its era, not really known for being particularly complex or advanced, and I picked it because it was the first generic pop song that popped to my mind:

The verses are intentionally minimalistic because that was a part of the aesthetic of late 00s pop music, but the chorus has:

1. the main vocal melody
2. the prominent higher vocal harmony, which, although it mimics the main melody, has very different harmonic tension so it should count as a separate melody
3. the "wooooo~" vocal melody
4. the supersaw synth melody
5. the more percussive synth playing chords and therefore adding the melody of its highest notes, which is different from any of the other melodies

All playing at the same time whenever the wooo~ briefly overlaps with the lyrics. This is a lot more than just one melody, but it's about what you would expect from generic pop music.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6617 on: March 11, 2024, 06:26:39 pm »

On the top of your head, what's the Birds of Necama song, if any, that most closely fits these criteria?

Recursion possibly, but I'm still not sure if I'm understanding the criteria correctly.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: March 11, 2024, 06:44:24 pm »

Recursion possibly, but I'm still not sure if I'm understanding the criteria correctly.

yeah I'm not either

I wanna say the lady gaga song has more stuff going on than most pop music but perhaps I've just not been paying as much attention when listening to pop in the past

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: March 11, 2024, 06:44:47 pm »

But yeah I do agree that I don't understand why it obviously wouldn't qualify

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: March 11, 2024, 07:35:22 pm »

Charlie Kaufman Movie Tier list. It's pretty good, probably because it's created by me. Confessions should be a few tiers lower though.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: March 12, 2024, 07:16:04 pm »

Complaining about bad luck in poker makes you a loser... unless you can prove it with hard data!

What this shows is that in these games (which is just a specific tournament I've played on GGPoker), I'm up +750 chips. However if every time you all-in against someone you just pay each one according to their % win instead of the actual result (which depends only on RNG), I'd be up 34000 chips. The starting stack is 1000, so that's 33 stacks difference.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: March 12, 2024, 07:20:11 pm »

This is the same as when I've played MTG. I thought that I had this  insane streak of bad luck with first player position, but of course it's far more plausible that I got average luck and just imagined things. So I made a spreadsheet and found that I was 3 standard deviations below the average. This one is harder to measure but could be similar.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: March 13, 2024, 01:06:42 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: March 13, 2024, 01:28:04 pm »

LemonUniverse says thanks and also

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 17 queries.