Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 275  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 352756 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5800 on: September 06, 2023, 07:37:36 am »

In other news I watched the first Republican Debate, and in my opinion based on this very limited data:

- Haley and Christie seem like adults who if elected would attempt to do a good job, and who aren't insane
- DeSantis basically ignored most questions and tried to project strength by blasting through is talking points. The content was all terrible
- Ramaswamy is one of the most insane people I've ever seen on a stage. I'd still support him over Trump but oh boy would be make an awful president. He should not be in charge of anything ever
- Pence is tired and boring and I can't see him having a shot through the popularity route. He's less insane than the two people above him on this list though.
- Everyone else made no notable impression and also isn't relevant in the polls, and I think they might as well not be there

So yeah, so there seem to be two adults among the people who matter, and of course the default prediction is still that Trump takes it even if he doesn't show  up to the debates. Pretty rough.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5801 on: September 06, 2023, 07:39:46 am »

At one point Haley walked all over Ramaswamy and made him like the clown he most certainly is, and she seems to have doubled in the polls as a result. Good on her.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5802 on: September 06, 2023, 09:12:41 am »

Is David Pakman the only popular political commentator who is reasonably smart? I feel like I've asked this before but I still don't know any other one.

I'd actually like to get more into political stuff right now just because it's arousing and I need more arousing stuff in my life right now after a week of depression.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5803 on: September 07, 2023, 06:29:37 am »

Is David Pakman the only popular political commentator who is reasonably smart? I feel like I've asked this before but I still don't know any other one.

I'd actually like to get more into political stuff right now just because it's arousing and I need more arousing stuff in my life right now after a week of depression.

MasN Hub is arousing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5804 on: September 07, 2023, 09:29:39 am »

MasN Hub is arousing.

Thanks. I actually considered it.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5805 on: September 07, 2023, 05:50:14 pm »

IDK what counts as popular. I'm not to much into current-event coverage, so if that's what you're looking for I can't help you much.

I like Some More News on YouTube (though chances are if you don't like Last Week Tonight's style, you won't be the biggest fan of this). Other than that.. not sure.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: September 07, 2023, 05:51:56 pm »

In other news I watched the first Republican Debate, and in my opinion based on this very limited data:

- Haley and Christie seem like adults who if elected would attempt to do a good job, and who aren't insane
- DeSantis basically ignored most questions and tried to project strength by blasting through is talking points. The content was all terrible
- Ramaswamy is one of the most insane people I've ever seen on a stage. I'd still support him over Trump but oh boy would be make an awful president. He should not be in charge of anything ever
- Pence is tired and boring and I can't see him having a shot through the popularity route. He's less insane than the two people above him on this list though.
- Everyone else made no notable impression and also isn't relevant in the polls, and I think they might as well not be there

So yeah, so there seem to be two adults among the people who matter, and of course the default prediction is still that Trump takes it even if he doesn't show  up to the debates. Pretty rough.
Is it better to have an insane person in power or a competent person with terrible political views?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5807 on: September 07, 2023, 06:19:00 pm »

Is it better to have an insane person in power or a competent person with terrible political views?

A competent person with terrible political views is predictable, an insane person is a gamble (and probably what you'll actually get is the political views of whoever is close to the insane person and manipulative enough). It depends on the specifics which one is better though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: September 08, 2023, 04:06:05 am »

My default is always that the competent person with terrible political views is better. It's not a hard rule of course, the political views can't be arbitrarily terrible.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: September 08, 2023, 07:00:34 am »

Are you counting Christie and Haley as having "terrible" views? (And are there any Republicans which would not count?)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: September 08, 2023, 07:09:18 am »

I'm getting so many calls recently it's absurd. And I decided to just leave my phone on don't disturb permanently. I think they're all scammers/lottery bs people. Being interrupted by this is the last thing I need right now. I find phone calls anxiety inducing anyway. I don't even pick up when I happen to look at the phone at the right time.

On the last ~15 calls not a single person left a message. ImE if people calling for legitimate reasons don't reach me they leave one the first or second time.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5811 on: September 08, 2023, 08:06:09 am »

I like Some More News on YouTube (though chances are if you don't like Last Week Tonight's style, you won't be the biggest fan of this). Other than that.. not sure.

I don't like it. It feels too much like mocking

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: September 08, 2023, 05:31:57 pm »

Hm it's 30 min to midnight and I'm not feeling depressed and hopeless. Maybe I'm finally getting better

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: September 09, 2023, 06:55:46 am »

Are you counting Christie and Haley as having "terrible" views? (And are there any Republicans which would not count?)
I haven't looked into them enough to have an opinion really. I does not seem like they have any shot at winning, so it didn't seem worth my time.

But yeah, they are Republicans, I would be pretty surprised if I landed on anything but "terrible".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5814 on: September 12, 2023, 01:30:21 pm »

There is a strong correlation between being on MasN Hub and being in the #1 ranked Generals.io 2v2 team.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: September 21, 2023, 09:55:30 am »

1. Is Elon Musk a genius or an idiot? This book review says it's probably both

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: September 21, 2023, 10:13:01 am »

I think I should talk about Disenchantment. This is the show by Simpsons creators. (Spoilers for the last season.)

I personally thought the show was quite good. It was always wacky but seemed also pretty well written. And the main character goes through a genuine arc throughout the show, especially in the first two seasons. It's extremely PC, but that never bothered me; as long as it feels genuine, that's fine.

It ended with season 5, and unfortunately, season 5 was very, very bad. It seemed, as it often does when a show goes downhill, like a weak imitation of what the show used to be, as if the writer(s) had been replaced by someone who doesn't really get it. The absolute lack of impact of anything was mb the most noticeable part. Everything that happened just felt completely meaningless because all the developments were constantly undone at a whim. It was so obvious that the writer just wanted to go through a bunch of plot points -- mostly the main character visiting past set pieces, perhaps because it's the season finale. It felt extremely pandering-y and hollow.

And as a result, it made the universe feel much smaller. ImE this is a pretty reliable indicator of writing quality. If something is well written, it feels like you're exploring a universe; if it's poorly written, it destroys the illusion and it then feels like there's just a small set of locations.

Also the humor. The humor was dreadful. It was all slap stick humor, and just not funny. Quite uncomfortable at times. There probably was more dumb humor in earlier seasons than I remember, but it was mixed with actually clever jokes.

Pretty much the only thing I liked was the plot point with god in the last two episodes. Which is also arguably the largest plot point of the season, certainly if we subtract the stuff that was obviously going to happen. And the way it resolved was also fine, for the most part. So weirdly it ended pretty okay. But everything up to that point was just dreadful. 8 episodes of astonishingly meaningless fan service, followed by two episodes that at least partially tell a unique of the story.

And I guess the second original plot point was with the Trogs; unfortunately, I thought that was awful and mostly retroactively makes the world building worse.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: September 21, 2023, 10:15:34 am »

It's not as much of a dive as Black Mirror because it wasn't as good to begin with and because at least the ending was good, but it's comparable. Black Mirror was particularly egregious because the last episode was just such utter trash.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: September 21, 2023, 10:57:27 am »

I watched 26 seasons of South park and 5 movies. Which is to say, everything, unless I've missed something.

The beginnings were quite humble. Which is to say, I didn't like it that much, and was a bit grossed out by it. But I kind of wanted sth to watch because well I didn't play anything anymore, and unlike random movies, at least the writing was always sharp.

The early seasons are also super critically praised, and I always thought that was a bit weird. It seemed like the show can do no wrong. You'd think something this offensive would attract more criticism, but somehow, they'd do the most outrageous thing imaginable and everyone loved it. That's sort of flipped 180 by the end. The show doesn't get nearly as much praise anymore, whereas I feel like for a show with 26 seasons, the quality is remarkable. None of the last few seasons are my favorites, but they're all good. In fact, I don't know any other show which stayed this good after this long.

Occasionally there's also a terrible and boring episode, but that's not new.

Anyway, the shock factor, toilet humor, and excessive violence goes down over the course of the show, and instead it gets more satirical. Which I liked, or at least I like the absence of violence. Still too much gross stuff for my taste, but alas. It also gets more genuine, which I definitely like. In fact that's something I need in everything I watch; there need to be genuinely well-meaning characters that I can emphasize with. They don't have to succeed, but they have to try. Maybe a movie can get by without that if it has something else going on (Under the Skin was like that), but in a show it's a must.

As far as I know, the unique things about South Park, despite the ruthlessness and lack of shame, are that (a) the original creators still run the show, and (b) that episodes are usually written and produced in the week before they air, which means the show can react to social events way faster than other shows. In one season it covers the 2016 election, and it very much feels like they were setting up for Trump's campaign to fizzle out, and then just changed course mid season when he actually won.

Initially the animation is also extremely rough, but that got much better.

I also watched the last couple of seasons (minus the final one I think) while being sick and sleep deprived, and that makes it difficult to tell how good they are because you're barely capable of feeling joy in that state. So maybe they're worse than I think, but I doubt it.

I guess a lot comes down to whether anything it says offends you, but I was only very rarely offended. Actually I think the thing that bothered me the most was it being dismissive of climate change, most notably by depicting Al Gore as just out for attention. And well that's the one case where they did a complete 180 and had an double episode later about how Al Gore was right after all. So I'm definitely not mad about that anymore.

Anyway. I should probably also talk about this guy since he's the most beloved character and short of the face of the show

It's kinda not obvious that Cartman would be a good character because in theory is personality is pretty simplistic; he's a perfect psychopath with zero empathy and also an extreme anti-semite. But they just sell his character so well, and they keep finding good things to do with him.

And let's do a top 5 episodes, in no order

- Make Love, not Warcraft (s10e08)
- Scott Tennerman must die (s05e04)

(these are the easy picks since they're also the most popular episodes, but well I don't disagree)

- Cartman Joins NAMBLA (s04e05)
- Tsst (s10e07)
- Woodland Critter Christmas (s08e14)

Would probably change this a lot if I rewatched everything, but certainly those were all amazing

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: September 21, 2023, 11:03:58 am »

4. I picked online chess back up while depressed because caring too much about a game seemed like a relative improvement. Now I'm definitely better so I should probably stop soon-ish.

anyway, this happened I found the symmetry remarkable. I think I lost though

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5820 on: September 21, 2023, 05:21:07 pm »

This "play until I'm back at 1800" thing is one of the dumber things I'm doing.

I had like 4 games today that would have gotten me there if only I win.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: September 21, 2023, 05:21:16 pm »

1800 RAPID WOOOO

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: September 21, 2023, 05:21:31 pm »

That's probably like 4400 on Lichess

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: September 21, 2023, 05:22:08 pm »

Honestly I didn't think I would ever get to 1800 when I was at like 1500. I thought I could get maybe 100-150 more and then plateau.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: September 21, 2023, 05:22:52 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 275  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.