Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 274  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 352038 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #2450 on: January 22, 2022, 04:42:54 pm »

twitter has recently gotten insanely aggressive on showing me tweets from people followed by people I follow. Not interested at all. Cut it out.

I follow < 20 people. Most people follow hundreds of people. I find this extremely stupid. If you do that, you have to either spend hours on twitter (bad), or rely on the algorithm to select a subset of tweets for you (also bad). I read every tweet from the people I follow in chronological order and it takes <15 minutes per day.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: January 22, 2022, 04:44:00 pm »

Oh it's not a change, rather it was set to "Home" rather than "Latest tweets". That's good.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: January 22, 2022, 05:16:46 pm »

I think I just need to take the stupidity of all these "crypto is a ponzi scheme and NFT's are a scam lol" people to my advantage and get rich off of crypto
Oh they're onto something, they just need to reach the generalization of "capitalism is a ponzi scheme and property is a scam lol".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: January 22, 2022, 05:21:53 pm »

I have yet to hear someone make the case for why NFTs are a sensible thing, so maybe you can enlighten me.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: January 22, 2022, 05:45:19 pm »

Maybe in a few weeks.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: January 22, 2022, 05:45:41 pm »

This was probably tongue in cheek but capitalism isn't a ponzi scheme since it produces stuff

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: January 22, 2022, 06:23:48 pm »

markets say 15% Democrats keep the house. Kind of surprised it's even that. What kind of miracle with 1/6th chance are you imagining here?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: January 22, 2022, 06:26:15 pm »

Kind of want to bet on Trump. 28%? I don't think so. There is some conjunction, he could die before then, but I'd put it more at 40%.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: January 22, 2022, 06:32:10 pm »

understand more about physics, change the philosophy of rationalists, understand NFTs and Ethereum, get rich on crypto, bet on Trump, die in 20 years to AI. sounds like a plan.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: January 23, 2022, 07:54:56 am »

markets say 15% Democrats keep the house. Kind of surprised it's even that. What kind of miracle with 1/6th chance are you imagining here?
War with Russia breaks out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: January 23, 2022, 08:32:49 am »

Yeah that would probably do it

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: January 23, 2022, 12:27:39 pm »

Was watching the second season of Black Summer (zombie apocalypse) yesterday and found the selfishness and lack of cooperation of people genuinely surprising-

-but actually I don't know how they would cooperate. Anyone know the evidence for how this works in extreme crisis situations IRL? I know people tend to robbing stores for food, but this strikes me as pretty reasonable behavior. To what extent do people screw each other over out of paranoia?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: January 23, 2022, 12:29:02 pm »

It's one thing to kill someone if there's only enough food for one of you or something. It's another thing to start killing each other when it doesn't actually seem beneficial for your own good. But perhaps the distinction isn't as significant in practice.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: January 23, 2022, 03:22:00 pm »

can't tell if Black Summer is really good or pointlessly cynical

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: January 23, 2022, 06:36:23 pm »

going with really good for now, let's see if the second season can screw it up like the first

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: January 24, 2022, 11:09:13 am »

alright, bought a bunch of ETH. It's currently at a local minimum, so arguably a good point to buy in. or a bad point because it's probably going to get even lower. Or, in fact, it's as good as any other point to buy in because price development is hard to predict.

Nonetheless, I expect the price to fall further in the short term and eventually recover.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: January 24, 2022, 11:09:40 am »

also bought a bunch of DAI, and I intend to use this to buy Trump YES shares.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: January 24, 2022, 11:12:40 am »

I'm mostly speculating on the price of Trump getting a lot higher before the election. I don't think I'll wait it out this time; if it gets to 50% or something, I'll get rid of it.

What I like about it as supposed to buying Biden yes as last time is that it's less extreme. If Trump doesn't run, fantastic. Take my money. I'll be happy. And if he does well, at least it's less bad. I'd rather have a compensation in the case of the bad event than more reward in case of the good event

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: January 24, 2022, 11:28:20 am »

If we assume, theoretically, that it's impossible to know anything about the expected change of an asset (because if you knew, you could become rich, but becoming rich is hard) except that it's slightly positive, you could still have a skewed distribution. I.e., high chance of small loss, low chance of high gain.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: January 24, 2022, 11:29:00 am »

I don't actually think I know zero since my community already beat the markets on the coronavirus pandemic, but in this case it's probably ~0.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: January 24, 2022, 12:08:10 pm »

The fees are nasty though, that is definitely a thing

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: January 24, 2022, 01:01:52 pm »

so faust, in what sense if at all are NFT's less reasonable than classic art?

People pay millions for paintings that are indistinguishable from copies. With NFT's, people pay money for originals which are exactly identical to copies. The difference between indistinguishable and perfectly identical may in fact matter to some people (I just had an argument about this, and I suspect it does), but it doesn't make the paintings any better. It's just [deluding yourself & valuing scarcity for the sake of itself] vs. [valuing scarcity for the sake of itself].

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:15 pm »

On NFTs, I'm curious what y'all think about this aspect that I read somewhere. Not related to NFTs as art / "unique" items, but more so on digital ownership.

So for example, before I bought a physical DVD of a movie, I could choose to give it away or sell it and transfer ownership. With digital movies, there doesn't appear to be a current model for this. But NFTs could make each digital copy unique, which then does allow me to give or sell my unique copy and transfer its ownership (in a confirmable way).

This seemed to make sense to me, but my guess is I'm missing something.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: January 24, 2022, 01:07:39 pm »

I think the fundamental reason why the "all NFTs are scam" position is so obviously bullshit to me is that we already value lots of things for reasons that are obviously not about the thing itself but a history of that thing. NFTs are just that but without the part where you get to lie to yourself about what it is.

E.g., I have this large collection of the paper strips that come with tea bags. This has zero utility and zero artistic value, but it still matters to me because of what it represents. And people generally don't think I'm insane when I mention it; it's just a funny weird thing. Now i didn't pay money for it, but I do value it at some not-very-high-but-not-insignificant price, maybe 25 euros.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: January 24, 2022, 01:10:53 pm »

On NFTs, I'm curious what y'all think about this aspect that I read somewhere. Not related to NFTs as art / "unique" items, but more so on digital ownership.

So for example, before I bought a physical DVD of a movie, I could choose to give it away or sell it and transfer ownership. With digital movies, there doesn't appear to be a current model for this. But NFTs could make each digital copy unique, which then does allow me to give or sell my unique copy and transfer its ownership (in a confirmable way).

This seemed to make sense to me, but my guess is I'm missing something.

((Not sure if this is obvious)) you could do that, but it wouldn't protect the movie from being pirated. Anyone can just make a copy of the original and watch that. It seems to me like this is exactly identical to what regular NFT's do, which is have this purely symbolic thing
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 274  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 16 queries.