Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I think my opponent did too much wandering in this one  (Read 1431 times)

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I think my opponent did too much wandering in this one
« on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:14 pm »
+2

I didn't know a game like this was possible. 

Wandering Winder + Wandering Minstrel + Knights < Alchemist + Mint + Softly Singing Angels.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130824/log.514b5511e4b0b79c883b5e3b.1377364695305.txt

FWIW: This must have been luck, right?  What are the chances that WW doesn't trash my Potion for the entire game when he plays 4 Knights each turn?

** His game also said "Recording for Youtube" ... Will it make its way to the channel?  Or, is it not interesting enough? **

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: I think my opponent did too much wandering in this one
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:01:25 am »

There is definitely some luck in your Potion not getting trashed, but Alchs are immune to Knights, and your deck composition was mostly immune to Knights anyway.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4388
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:25:37 am »
+2

As soon as you get the mint, it's not about hitting the potion, it's about hitting the mint. Before, it's about hitting either of your treasures. Alchs are immune, but they're also on top... which means that they're letting everything which has a possibility of getting hit has a higher probability. So for instance, you get mint on turn 21. There are 19 cards in your deck. 7 Are alchemists, so assuming I am actually playing 4 knights a turn, I hit 6 cards out of 12 non-alchemists. On every turn, I either need to hit all your gold (this turn, it was only 1) or your mint, and you are in pretty bad shape. Now, there's also some chance that I am not actually playing all those every turn, and a small chance you can protect your key card if I hit another.

So, I think you're pretty lucky to have that, but not like obscenely lucky - not too long after this, you have more cards, and very importantly more gold. Of course, hitting potion early would be nice, too, but it's a game.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:34 am »

As soon as you get the mint, it's not about hitting the potion, it's about hitting the mint. Before, it's about hitting either of your treasures. Alchs are immune, but they're also on top... which means that they're letting everything which has a possibility of getting hit has a higher probability. So for instance, you get mint on turn 21. There are 19 cards in your deck. 7 Are alchemists, so assuming I am actually playing 4 knights a turn, I hit 6 cards out of 12 non-alchemists. On every turn, I either need to hit all your gold (this turn, it was only 1) or your mint, and you are in pretty bad shape. Now, there's also some chance that I am not actually playing all those every turn, and a small chance you can protect your key card if I hit another.

So, I think you're pretty lucky to have that, but not like obscenely lucky - not too long after this, you have more cards, and very importantly more gold. Of course, hitting potion early would be nice, too, but it's a game.

Thanks for posting that.  The Mint was a calculated risk because I saw that your Knights were going to ravage my deck.  That said, a lot of my economy was tied up in the Mint, and at the time, I didn't fully appreciate that grabbing the Mint would increase your chances of hitting good stuff. The goal was to Mint Gold every turn to combat the eventual loss of Gold.  Fortunately for me, that worked out, but it is interesting to see the game from your perspective.

As you note, having the 8 Alchemists helped a lot because it meant that you could trash at most 3 cards on turns after I had full draw.  From that perspective, a 9th Alchemist might have been even better.

**Weird side note: I don't understand why my custom avatar doesn't show up on your end.  On my end, it's picture of me with a devilish smile, holding a couple of boxes of Dominion cards. **

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:40:58 am »
+3

The custom avatars only show up for people using the extension.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.