Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176450 times)

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2450 on: March 30, 2014, 11:17:23 pm »
+3

So, I was playing derivative clicker that someone posted.  I realized you can sell things by saying you want to buy -1 of them at once.  I was wondering what would happen if you sold something that you had none of...  You can sell it, get -1 of it, and get money for selling it.  I decided to sell a nonexistant Georg Riemann and got a lot of money for it.  I started buying other stuff, then realized that because I had -1 Georg Riemann, I started getting negative Kurt Godels (I don't feel like getting the special o...), which ended with negative mathematicians, which ended with my tick length being NaN.  The game interpreted that as 0 or something, and was constantly updating, giving me a lot of money and proofs.  But I couldn't buy anything...  I had to restart...

Haha. I saw this and was like, well why don't I just sell something that doesn't effect the others, so I sold 2B High Schoolers. This made my multiplier for 1st level buildings go to -4M, and all the level 1 things cost -money which I can't spend because I now have 18.86 Oc$. Hahaha. This is hilarious and totally gameable I think.

Edit: Yup. Once you're tired of clicking (this happens pretty early on for me), you can essentially take out an interest free loan by heavily negatively investing in Postdocs, grads, undergrads, and high schoolers. If you don't click, these never make you negative money or anything, so you can just buy derivatives and mathematicians to jump start your economy and pay back the loan when it costs you basically nothing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:04:31 am by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: March 31, 2014, 03:28:04 am »
+1

Wow, what did I start? (random stuff is the answer I guess).

Yeah I realised after leaving for church that, whoops, the US celebrates mothers day at another time of year. And the US clocks do change, but do it at a slightly different time. But I draw everyone's attention back to this statement:
I feel like a zombie. Urghh....
So yeah I don't feel too dumb about it.

No worries.  I saw plenty of American friends on facebook freak out when they saw their British friends posting about Mothers Day, worried that they'd forgotten.  Same thing happens every year.  It would be easier if we just abbreviated them to Mum's Day and Mom's Day.

Well technically, they're already Mother's Day (US) and Mothering Sunday (UK), but very few people call it Mothering Sunday any more.

So, I was playing derivative clicker that someone posted.  I realized you can sell things by saying you want to buy -1 of them at once.  I was wondering what would happen if you sold something that you had none of...  You can sell it, get -1 of it, and get money for selling it.  I decided to sell a nonexistant Georg Riemann and got a lot of money for it.  I started buying other stuff, then realized that because I had -1 Georg Riemann, I started getting negative Kurt Godels (I don't feel like getting the special o...), which ended with negative mathematicians, which ended with my tick length being NaN.  The game interpreted that as 0 or something, and was constantly updating, giving me a lot of money and proofs.  But I couldn't buy anything...  I had to restart...

Yeah, the game designer is aware of the bug and intends to fix it. As a point, you can still buy things, but clicks don't often register because uh some reason. But if you use mousekeys (ctrl+shift+num lock) you can buy things still, and get an alarming amount of everything at a ridiculous pace.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:30:25 am by Tables »
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: March 31, 2014, 08:19:59 am »

I've been watching the new Cosmos series each week and enjoying it, but last night's episode seemed rather off the mark in its discussion of black holes.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: March 31, 2014, 11:23:51 am »

I've been watching the new Cosmos series each week and enjoying it, but last night's episode seemed rather off the mark in its discussion of black holes.

Is this good?
Just about to start over here in the uk
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: March 31, 2014, 11:32:18 am »

Is this good?

The first two episodes were quite good.  I haven't had the chance to watch Eps 3 and 4.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: March 31, 2014, 11:36:58 am »

In other news, there is a My Little Pony CCG.  I'm uncertain how to feel about this.  I guess I'll be able to introduce my girls to CCGs early?

What's interesting to me, though, is the chain of ownership.  Magic is of course owned by WOTC, which in turn is owned by Hasbro.  Hasbro also owns My Little Pony.  Yet the CCG is produced by someone else entirely.  Strange.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: March 31, 2014, 01:16:06 pm »

Is this good?

The first two episodes were quite good.  I haven't had the chance to watch Eps 3 and 4.

Episode 3 is my favorite thus far.  My biggest complaint about Episode 4 is that they made it seem like crossing the event horizon of a black hole is some dramatic and sudden experience.  I don't know of a single physicist who believes that.  Also, there was some rather wild speculation of what is across the black hole.  There is already so much interesting stuff to say about black holes with better established physics.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: March 31, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »

Haha. I saw this and was like, well why don't I just sell something that doesn't effect the others, so I sold 2B High Schoolers. This made my multiplier for 1st level buildings go to -4M, and all the level 1 things cost -money which I can't spend because I now have 18.86 Oc$. Hahaha. This is hilarious and totally gameable I think.

Edit: Yup. Once you're tired of clicking (this happens pretty early on for me), you can essentially take out an interest free loan by heavily negatively investing in Postdocs, grads, undergrads, and high schoolers. If you don't click, these never make you negative money or anything, so you can just buy derivatives and mathematicians to jump start your economy and pay back the loan when it costs you basically nothing.

...And he fixed it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: March 31, 2014, 04:51:00 pm »
+4

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:47 pm »
+1

Beat me by 1 minute!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:20 pm »
+2

Found a cool solution to the bad sliders from Betrayal at House on the Hill:

(Edit: smaller image)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:06:38 pm by eHalcyon »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »

http://www.gdriv.es/derivclicker/game.html

So after I saw this, I opened it up and started as a lowly mathematician clicking and clicking and clicking.  Eventually it was all about the ticks, and just leaving it open to accumulate wealth.  Then I noticed something strange:

Yes, my Graduate Students became free.  I started buying thousands of them.  The program would only let me purchase 2000 as the highest rounded up unit (to the nearest thousand), so I couldn't start buying millions at a time, but I still managed to purchase quite a few.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:00 pm »

In other news, there is a My Little Pony CCG.  I'm uncertain how to feel about this.  I guess I'll be able to introduce my girls to CCGs early?

What's interesting to me, though, is the chain of ownership.  Magic is of course owned by WOTC, which in turn is owned by Hasbro.  Hasbro also owns My Little Pony.  Yet the CCG is produced by someone else entirely.  Strange.
I think Hasbro is having trouble understanding how to market MLP outside of pink pony toys, so they've decided to avoid doing any of it in-house. For further amusement, the show's Japanese distributor is Bushiroad, who also happen to be the publisher of a large number of CCGs, although I don't think there's any plan for them to release the MLP CCG in Japanese.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: March 31, 2014, 06:27:09 pm »

I played a demo during gencon last year. It was decent, the mechanic of needed to work with your opponent to achieve goals seemed a bit weird to me so I wouldn't play it but if your girls like the show I imagine they'd be more willing to play it and have fun with it.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:45 pm »

Found a cool solution to the bad sliders from Betrayal at House on the Hill:

(Edit: smaller image)

It's already hard enough to tell what the sliders are pointing at, how does this make it easier to see what number is being point...ed... or even circled... Hm. Quite. Carry on.

In other news I played Civ (the board game) for the first time today. Was really fun, I thought it was a two horse race between the other two guys until I suddenly noticed that, no, I can get to 15 coins (economic victory), and before either of them wins too. It was really tight. US player was very close to a military victory, Russia was literally in place to research for a tech victory, but I snuck the economic victory in there as Rome - and didn't do badly on culture either (was in the III section, with about a dozen culture tokens spare).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 31, 2014, 07:17:58 pm »
+12

kla-da-boem :)

Join the Dominion League!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2020
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:56 pm »
+3

kla-da-boem :)

Just when I though I'd given up playing this game...  >:(

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 31, 2014, 07:22:38 pm »
+1

Stef, you monster.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:25 pm »

I played a demo during gencon last year. It was decent, the mechanic of needed to work with your opponent to achieve goals seemed a bit weird to me so I wouldn't play it but if your girls like the show I imagine they'd be more willing to play it and have fun with it.

Yeah, it's really difficult to make friendship based mechanics work in a CCG, because even choosing a friend immediately introduces politics of who you ally with. Dominion gets around it by helping everyone, but if you add too many of those effects, then the game gets pretty ridiculous pretty quickly, and you have to scale your game to account for that.

Of course, if you don't take the game seriously, then it's okay, but play the game enough and you'll want to start winning...

I have good memories of the Neopets TCG, I remember thinking it was pretty good. Granted, I was in middle school at the time, but I also knew how to play MtG, so I'd like to think I had some taste in card games. Too bad they stopped making it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: March 31, 2014, 07:40:44 pm »

Yeah, it's really difficult to make friendship based mechanics work in a CCG, because even choosing a friend immediately introduces politics of who you ally with.
This was 1v1, so your friend is also your only opponent.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:24 pm »

Yeah, it's really difficult to make friendship based mechanics work in a CCG, because even choosing a friend immediately introduces politics of who you ally with.
This was 1v1, so your friend is also your only opponent.

Uhhhhhhh.

Okay.

In other news, I got bored with DerivClicker, so I went to the site hosting it, gave myself $10^42 by calling the relevant functions in Javascript, bought tons of upgrades, and now I'm done.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:52 pm »

If you could get some more cookies, that'd be great.

Eleven new buildings!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: March 31, 2014, 09:24:50 pm »
+4

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:35 pm »

If I just post this...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: March 31, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »

...and this...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 16 queries.