Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 125  All

Author Topic: Mafia XIX: Deep Space Nine Mafia (Day 7)  (Read 268044 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XIX: Deep Space Nine Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #550 on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »

Flavor is for my own fun and the enjoyment of the few Trekkies amongst you. Trying to analyze it for game information is a fruitless endeavor you are advised against.

Sure...
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #551 on: January 08, 2013, 07:34:19 pm »

I do wonder if all the characters in the flavor are in the game. That could potentially let us get some clues about the setup.

If we were interested in such things.

But knowing my brother, he probably gave some roles that are counter-intuitive for their flavor. Like DSell's suggestion that Bashir could be the doctor, but he would also make sense as a changeling cop.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 08, 2013, 07:38:02 pm »

well my suggestion of more voting produced exactly the type of content that I was hoping for... now to actually take a look at it and post thoughts as they come.

1. the first couple of votes were, however, not what I was looking for... that is votes w/o meaning--or at least appearing w/o meaning. So FOS: eevee, lio

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 08, 2013, 07:43:15 pm »

2. the cuzz-eevee interaction is interesting. I think that I get a town read from Cuzz out of it. But more of a slight scum read from eevee, but not enough to vote for at this time for me.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 08, 2013, 07:45:09 pm »

2. the cuzz-eevee interaction is interesting. I think that I get a town read from Cuzz out of it. But more of a slight scum read from eevee, but not enough to vote for at this time for me.

Funny, that interaction had the opposite effect for me.  Maybe since we were scum together before?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 08, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »

Oh mine was for a reason. I just didn't bother discussing it in that post. I had stated my ideas in a past post and was just now voting on them.

Just an idea, not sure if it's been said before, and not sure I think it's a good idea, just should be giving thought:

maybe we should all claim flavor names? I'm fairly sure they do contain info about people's role. Not their alignment, but their role.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:20 pm »

3. theorel however, brings up an interesting point about eevee and one that can be extrapolated to everyone in that scum metas aren't going to be either "town" or "scum." But this is compelling specifically about eevee. I guess I am hesitant, however, to establish this idea until it is confirmed--through night kills, lynches, investigations, that we have multiple scum teams. I am not saying I won't lynch eevee until this can be proved, but I am hesitant to use this philosophy as part of a rationale for voting.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 08, 2013, 07:47:47 pm »

if they contain info about our roles but not our alignments (which seems reasonable), we definitely don't want to claim them. scum wants to find our power roles, the reason we don't fullclaim right now is that we want to protect them.

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #558 on: January 08, 2013, 07:49:43 pm »

Cuzz comes off scummier to me than Eevee. Something about his demeanor seems like he's trying to get a lynch fast, and that doesn't seem like a town mentality.

Eevee - agree %100 about not name claiming. I was about to say exactly that.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 08, 2013, 07:50:52 pm »

4. Jimmm's behavior has been unusual.... the question is whether or not it is just erratic town play, or scum. Generally I think that erratic play is town. Scum tend to be a bit more conservative. But scum can play erratically when put under pressure. That is the whole idea of putting pressure on players, to see how they respond. Jimmm has been put under a bit of pressure, and I especially liked shraeye's case on him. I appreciate a bit more shraeye's style of scum hunting now, because I was coming to the same conclusions as shraeye about Jimmm independent of him, but I do disagree with shraeye's conclusion about Cuzz... Dsell provides a "defense" for him, but it is not compelling at all, basically that he has been consistent (which I disagree with) and that he continues to have a town read on Dsell... at this point I feel comfortable with a vote: Jimmm

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 08, 2013, 07:54:10 pm »

I think the Jimmmmm lynch could be a good one, in the end.  Plenty of posts, plenty of interactions to study, plenty of stands taken by and upon.  Would not be a bad D1 lynch, in my opinion.

I think we should keep him on the short list. 

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 08, 2013, 07:56:47 pm »

Oh mine was for a reason. I just didn't bother discussing it in that post. I had stated my ideas in a past post and was just now voting on them.

ok, well as a suggestion and really this is for everyone, perhaps including me as well, if you feel you have already made a case on someone, but haven't yet voted for them and are about to plop down a vote on them... going back and quoting that post (not necessarily the whole thing, just the link would work) would help people remember that you had a case to begin with. Otherwise I really don't know why you voted

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 08, 2013, 08:31:29 pm »

ahh yes, that makes sense. So lets not claim then.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 08, 2013, 08:35:38 pm »

Funny, that interaction had the opposite effect for me.  Maybe since we were scum together before?

Didn't you call me the most likely town on the Eevee wagon?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:59 pm »

But knowing my brother, he probably gave some roles that are counter-intuitive for their flavor. Like DSell's suggestion that Bashir could be the doctor, but he would also make sense as a changeling cop.

I have no idea who said this, but it wasn't me. I know nothing of DS9. XD
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

theorel

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: theorel
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 08, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »

I have no idea who said this, but it wasn't me. I know nothing of DS9. XD

That was me.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 08, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »

Okay, so I don't have a good explanation for this.  It's a feeling-thing, which is not a good reason for a case...but I figured I'd note it anyways.  It's especially strange to me because it coincides with a bunch of people giving him a town-read, but:
shraeye has started seeming scummy to me.

In other news: raerae seems more town lately, or if not more town, more genuine.  I'd say she's neutral at the moment, maybe leaning town.

It's weird because, my scum-read of shraeye started around when he posted his case on Jimmmmm, but it clearly isn't because of that case since raerae posted a highly similar case.  Anyways, I've mentioned before in some game (VIII maybe?) that I tend to trust my intuition.  This is obviously not a case, it's just a feeling, but I'm going to review and see if I can pin down something concrete.  Anyways, I'm mentioning it now in case I don't get him all nice and reviewed in a timely fashion.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:08 pm »

Didn't you call me the most likely town on the Eevee wagon?

Most likely scum on the Eevee wagon.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 08, 2013, 09:25:31 pm »

Okay well to be clear, I won't be supporting a Galz lynch today (unless something drastically changes), but he'll be fair game tomorrow.
This post is the tipping point for me between the Cuzz/Jimmmm vote.  This looks a lot like the springboard to a day2 lynch, already in place.  When I get a townread on somebody and don't want to lynch them (Eevee, Robz, raerae, liopoil, Dsell thus far--and not in that order, I haven't thought about order yet), I would NEVER say "but they're fair game tomorrow".  Why are you afraid to let your current townreads bleed over?  A logical reason (and the one I reach in my head) is that you don't want to box yourself in as scum and get to a situation where you're left either lynching a townread, or doing another 180 flip on somebody.

I don't have a townread on Galz. Please read the reasons I gave for not wanting to lynch Galz today:

You know what I'm happy to give Galz a pass for today, for a couple of reasons:
I totally get that he's overloaded.
If he's Town, we want him alive.
If he's scum, word on the street is he's easy to catch out, so hopefully we should be able to do that on a later day.

Of course, his analysis is still appreciated.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:55 pm »

When was the soft deadline again?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:47 pm »

When was the soft deadline again?

In 29 minutes.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 08, 2013, 09:46:36 pm »

Umm... +1 week?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 08, 2013, 09:48:10 pm »

I could go Eevee or Jimm at this point. Really I don't vastly prefer one or the other.

4. Jimmm's behavior has been unusual.... the question is whether or not it is just erratic town play, or scum. Generally I think that erratic play is town. Scum tend to be a bit more conservative. But scum can play erratically when put under pressure. That is the whole idea of putting pressure on players, to see how they respond. Jimmm has been put under a bit of pressure, and I especially liked shraeye's case on him. I appreciate a bit more shraeye's style of scum hunting now, because I was coming to the same conclusions as shraeye about Jimmm independent of him, but I do disagree with shraeye's conclusion about Cuzz... Dsell provides a "defense" for him, but it is not compelling at all, basically that he has been consistent (which I disagree with) and that he continues to have a town read on Dsell... at this point I feel comfortable with a vote: Jimmm

Yeah, I think erratic behavior can be town behavior. But I don't think Jimm is behaving erratically. He is responding to various pressures put on him, to the various extent that other people like the cases he builds. Nervous is a better word than erratic. Jimm is nervous.

But I still say something's off about Eevee.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 08, 2013, 10:04:28 pm »

Nervous is a better word than erratic. Jimm is nervous.

Hmm, that's an interesting take. I'm not actually sure if that's true or not.

theorel

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 08, 2013, 10:07:06 pm »

Oh, I figured out the scum-read on shraeye.

He's voting Jimmmmm without a case.  He's posted basically 3 things about Jimmmmm (he's posted some of them multiple times):
1. The Eevee contradiction problem.  Shraeye seems to believe "If you don't clip the statement, there is no contradiction."
Now, I'm willing to admit that Eevee's wording was clumsy and the contradiction could come from that.  Here are the two statements unclipped:
Kind of meh Dsell became almost obvtown because of something like this, but could be worse - I could have had time to answer and clear myself before Joth stepped in (well handled btw).
Fwiw, even if I got here before Joth, I wouldnt have answered because it would have felt like a very unfair way to gain a lot of town cred.
Well, IMO there is a clear implication in the first statement that he could have cleared himself.  If he wouldn't have answered then he couldn't have cleared himself, so it could not have been worse in the way which he described.  If he had said, "it could be worse - I could have gotten here before joth and been unable to answer without gaining the same towncred", then that would have created NO contradiction.
I'll agree that the intent is consistent...but to act like "there's no way anyone could get a contradiction out of those statements in context" is silly.

2. Jimmmmm's 180 on Eevee, which Cuzz called out and Robz called out.  He agrees that this is more likely to be scum wanting to escape a bad argument than town wanting to escape a bad argument.  I felt a need to talk about point 1, because part of that is inherent in thinking that it was a totally contrived argument to begin with.

Now at this point, this could read like a legitimate case to me, except one niggling thing:
Jimm is now my top scum read, with the amount of analysis he has had I read him as a very smart player who know what hes doing.
Jimm taking this out of context is ridiculous, I guess its my mistake for not going over it enough myself, but really I had strong scum feeling toward someone because of an out of context exaggeration. This just seems like a very anti town play, there is no reason for town!jimm to start a scumhunt by tricking people.
But I'm really not sold that Jimmm was trying to trick people.  I think he was just a little careless, which is not something I expect of Jimmmm, who's usually a very solid rational person.  So I have a very slight scumread from this, that increased to slight because of how hard it seemed he was pushing it.  But I'm not at all close to wanting to vote for him yet.
(Note: I'm grouping this with 1 as it was a discussion about the contradiction argument)

The growth of this scum-read seems forced to me.

And, 3. Jimmmmm just commented on...
Okay well to be clear, I won't be supporting a Galz lynch today (unless something drastically changes), but he'll be fair game tomorrow.
This post is the tipping point for me between the Cuzz/Jimmmm vote.  This looks a lot like the springboard to a day2 lynch, already in place.  When I get a townread on somebody and don't want to lynch them (Eevee, Robz, raerae, liopoil, Dsell thus far--and not in that order, I haven't thought about order yet), I would NEVER say "but they're fair game tomorrow".  Why are you afraid to let your current townreads bleed over?  A logical reason (and the one I reach in my head) is that you don't want to box yourself in as scum and get to a situation where you're left either lynching a townread, or doing another 180 flip on somebody.

I don't have a townread on Galz. Please read the reasons I gave for not wanting to lynch Galz today:

You know what I'm happy to give Galz a pass for today, for a couple of reasons:
I totally get that he's overloaded.
If he's Town, we want him alive.
If he's scum, word on the street is he's easy to catch out, so hopefully we should be able to do that on a later day.

Of course, his analysis is still appreciated.

Oh, one other relevant comment (IMO) from shraeye:
...it never feels like a good case when people simply say "this person feels different".  Now if we talk about HOW they are playing differently, then that's a little more substance.
in context he's criticizing Robz for using a meta-argument against Eevee while using a straight-forward argument against Jimmmmm (the 180 thing).

The whole start of shraeye's suspicion of Jimmmmm was "he was just a little careless, which is not something I expect of Jimmmm, who's usually a very solid rational person". (see quote above)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure those are the dots my mind connected to conjure a scum-read on shraeye.  It could be a natural growth of a scum-read, but it just feels wrong.  It feels wrong that shraeye has posted several points of argument against Cuzz, with little against Jimmmmm.

Note: I'm not 100% sure how I feel about Jimmmmm, he seems vaguely townie to me, but really this has more to do with shraeye's argument than Jimmmmm's alignment.

For the time being, I will vote: shraeye.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 125  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.