Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Groundless speculation about the 2015 expansion  (Read 88948 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Groundless speculation about the 2015 expansion
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:02 am »
+3

People actually use the mats? Seriously? I have never seen the need for the mats and even if I used them they don't seem conducive to their purpose. That is, all the seaside mats looks super similar so I can't identify the mat without picking the cards up off it. If one cannot track their set aside cards without mats then maybe their should be a duration card mat? I mean, c'mon...
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2015, 10:52:34 am »

People actually use the mats? Seriously? I have never seen the need for the mats and even if I used them they don't seem conducive to their purpose. That is, all the seaside mats looks super similar so I can't identify the mat without picking the cards up off it. If one cannot track their set aside cards without mats then maybe their should be a duration card mat? I mean, c'mon...

Mats are useful. If you accidentally think your set-aside Island cards are in play and discard them, it's not always easy to sort them back out afterward. Even more so with Native Village cards.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2015, 11:03:44 am »

Mats are useful. If you accidentally think your set-aside Island cards are in play and discard them, it's not always easy to sort them back out afterward. Even more so with Native Village cards.

Right, so where's the Prince mat, already?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2015, 11:43:44 am »

Right, so where's the Prince mat, already?

A Prince mat would do more harm than good. I found during playtesting that we had much more trouble remembering to do our Princed actions each turn if they were on a mat; it's better if they stay in your play area with Prince itself acting as a mat. Island could usually work that way too, but Native Village couldn't.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12875
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2015, 11:53:48 am »
+1

Native Village cards are face down. I guess you can mistake them for your draw pile if you haven't established a place where you always keep your draw pile, but as long as you can tell the difference between your deck and the Native Village mat, you don't need the actual mat.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »
+1

People actually use the mats? Seriously?

Yes.

I have never seen the need for the mats and even if I used them they don't seem conducive to their purpose. That is, all the seaside mats looks super similar so I can't identify the mat without picking the cards up off it.

That is part of the problem with them. It's hard to remember to play everything correctly, esp. if there are multiple mat/token cards in the kingdom. Gamer error increases in the number of set aside areas, piles of face down cards, token types, etc.

If one cannot track their set aside cards without mats then maybe their should be a duration card mat?

The "descend" mechanic works decently well. So they have a designated place on the table. Every time we play (esp. new people), though, someone messes up and shuffles in the duration cards that should have stayed out. If we catch it in a reasonable amount of time, we let people fish out the cards and reshuffle, if possible. But durations are so much fun we tolerate the increased possibility of mistakes.

I mean, c'mon...

Not everyone is the most hard-core board gamer ever.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2015, 01:56:05 pm »

I don't think Duration-Attacks or -Treasures wil happen. The space has allready been explored, and always without using the duration type - obviously to avoid the confusion that type combinations would generate.  In case you are wondering, i speak of Sea Hag/Pirate Ship/Cutpurse/Embargo and Treasury.
You might get something that works like a Duration-Attack, but it won't have the type. For example it could use tokens.

How does Cutpurse fit in?  It was originally a duration cost increaser, but that's not how it plays now.

I also would not call Embargo an attack, but YMMV I guess. 

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2015, 02:12:42 pm »

Cutpurse impacts your opponent's upcoming turn, but no more than any other discard attack. It's definitely not in the same category as attacks that impact their next turn by messing with the top of their deck like Sea Hag, Ghost Ship, Bureaucrat, and Rabble.

Of course, having their full effect against your opponent's next turn is kind of the soonest an Attack can take effect, given that the alternatives involve either messing with their next turn, messing with the quality of their deck, or some combination. So Cutpurse is arguably the least Duration-y an Attack can be.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:16 pm »
+2

I find it criminally offensive that Dominion: Adventures will not have Adventurer.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2015, 03:18:08 pm »
+9

I find it criminally offensive that Dominion: Adventures will not have Adventurer.

He adventured ahead of the others.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2015, 03:25:36 pm »
+2

20 years for Donald?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2015, 03:39:16 pm »
+14

We can fix this. We just need Young Adventurer, Farming Adventurer, Bag of Adventurers...

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2015, 03:55:54 pm »
+5

Last expansions's symbol was a compass; I'm pretty sure this expansion's symbol will be a compass.

How was guilds' symbol  a compass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_(drawing_tool)

Thanks. I didn't realize the english word for it was compass.

Native Village cards are face down. I guess you can mistake them for your draw pile if you haven't established a place where you always keep your draw pile, but as long as you can tell the difference between your deck and the Native Village mat, you don't need the actual mat.

You could also mistake them for Haven's set-aside cards, but Haven can act as a mat there (it does in my group).

I guess one important difference is that cards on the Island, Pirate Ship and Native Village mats only matter when the respective card is played - it doesn't really matter if you forget about them for a while. Prince, Haven and Horse Traders shouldn't be forgotten though, as they will trigger without you actually doing something - that's why they better stay in your field of sight.

Cutpurse impacts your opponent's upcoming turn, but no more than any other discard attack. It's definitely not in the same category as attacks that impact their next turn by messing with the top of their deck like Sea Hag, Ghost Ship, Bureaucrat, and Rabble.

Cutpurse was born from the idea to make cards more expensive. It's certainly not the same, but it's the closest reasonable thing to that concept, which is why i put it in that list of non-durations implementing duration concepts. Though you are right, what applies to Cutpurse applies to Militia too. Which makes me realize:

Duration-Militia
+$2
All other players start their next turn with only 3 cards in hand.

Duration-Witch
+2 cards
Until the game ends or it is trashed, each other player has an additional card in his deck which is worth -1VP and has a coin value of 0$.

Duration-Swindler
+$2
All other players trash the top card of their deck. Name a card in the supply that costs the same. Until after the game ends, each player has the card you named.

Edit: Edited to avoid massive edgecasing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:00:14 pm by Asper »

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2015, 04:00:52 pm »
+4

We can fix this. We just need Young Adventurer, Farming Adventurer, Bag of Adventurers...

Ruined Adventurer, Adventurersmith...

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3681
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »

Adventuring Adventurer, SoothAdventurer, Chapelventurer, Venture Adventurer...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »

Maybe there will be a theory homage.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2015, 04:14:04 pm »

Really, I think we need a mat to hold all of the mats.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2015, 04:17:48 pm »
+7

Horn of Ventures, Rats Traders, Overgrown Jack of All Curses...wait, what were we doing again?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25735
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »
+2

I use the mat (well they are card-sized in the prototype and turned sideways) for Native Village. You really want it, otherwise people get messed up eventually. You for sure do not need a mat for Island, Island itself can be the mat. Pirate Ship, it depends on whether or not you have anything from Guilds. Note that Guilds doesn't include mats. VP tokens, no mat.

Edit: I turn duration cards sideways at the start of the turn. Then, only discard the sideways ones. Or you can do it vice-versa, start with them sideways.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:25:58 pm by Donald X. »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »

JourneyAdventurer.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:46 pm »
+2

I use the mat (well they are card-sized in the prototype and turned sideways) for Native Village. You really want it, otherwise people get messed up eventually. You for sure do not need a mat for Island, Island itself can be the mat. Pirate Ship, it depends on whether or not you have anything from Guilds. Note that Guilds doesn't include mats. VP tokens, no mat.

Edit: I turn duration cards sideways at the start of the turn. Then, only discard the sideways ones. Or you can do it vice-versa, start with them sideways.

The mat for VP tokens is quite useful. At the start of the game, I just give each player four 1VP tokens and then put the 5VP tokens in the center of the table. Players put their 1VP tokens on and off the mat and take 5VP tokens as needed.

We play Duration cards sideways and then "untap" them when they resolve. Don't discard sideways cards. Simple and easy to remember. Lately I've been combining suggestions and playing Duration cards sideways and on a line above my normal cards. Then I move them down and turn them right-side up when they resolve. It saves space.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2015, 07:26:44 pm »

Man, if you don't like the mats, don't use the mats.
Have yourself a little mat bonfire.

If you're worried about the increased cost of having mats and tokens in the expansion, I feel for you.
But it's going to be a fractional increase in the cost of something that is a luxury purchase anyway.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2015, 07:35:42 pm »
+8

I don't know why people complain about mats, mats are fine, they can't all be the best game mechanic ever.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2015, 07:36:43 pm »
+2

We play Duration cards sideways and then "untap" them when they resolve.

There is a group of Wizards (they live on the Coast) who might want to talk with you about that...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2015, 07:43:19 pm »

Man, if you don't like the mats, don't use the mats.
Have yourself a little mat bonfire.

If you're worried about the increased cost of having mats and tokens in the expansion, I feel for you.
But it's going to be a fractional increase in the cost of something that is a luxury purchase anyway.

MSRP is the same as other expansions
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.