Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43  All

Author Topic: Forum Survivor 2 (Winner revealed!)  (Read 150739 times)

Nevermind

• Bishop
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Survivor Season 2 (under construction)
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:37 am »

I definitely like survivor, but I don't know if I'll play. But, if possible could I /spectate?

You're on the list for spectating. Would you like access to the pre-season moderator QT as well? It's a bunch of me brainstorming ideas for mechanics and challenges and stuff and asking for feedback.

If you want to be surprised at how things happen this season or if you still think you might end up playing, then you probably don't want it, but if you want to give feedback or offer suggestions you might want to do it (of course you can still offer suggestions without access to the QT if you'd like).

Uhhhhhh... what?

Just kidding. Thanks, but no thanks. I want to see what it's like as a survivor, so surprises will be good, because what's survivor without surprises (like when that one brain girl threw "98% of our [the brain tribe] rice into the fire", or when two guys (I think woo and Tony) gave the one guy (maybe Jeremiah)the clue to find the hidden immunity idol)?

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 09:24:37 am »

/in for playing, though being forum game n00b.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 07:18:38 am »

/tag

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »

I've edited this into the OP but I want to post again to reiterate and make sure it doesn't get lost. Another way for people to help (even people who are playing the game could potentially help with this!)

For some challenges it would be nice to be able to automate certain parts by using a web portal of some kind: even something as simple as this would be very useful:

- go to a certain URL
- URL asks you to put in a secret word
- If you put in the wrong word it tells you to try again
- If you put in the right word it tells you that you were correct and gives you some kind of verification code

I can host something like this but I've never coded anything like it before, even a template that has "hello world" code in it would be very helpful.

The game should start in about a month! Get excited! I already have a rough outline of the season's format and some cool twists, as well as a LOT of challenge ideas that I think will be a lot of fun.

If we get enough people to play and I'm ready early, I suppose I'm not opposed to starting the game early, but I doubt that will happen.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14:58 am »

Planning and brainstorming is coming along quite nicely, we have a lot of challenge ideas -- enough that hopefully every challenge will feel fresh. I wanted to get some feedback on some potential challenge ideas from the players.

Last season there was talk of doing challenges with a physical component but it didn't happen. It was talked about after that season was over and I have a couple of ideas for this.

I'd like for there to be some kind of accountability, which means one of two things: people participating in these challenges will either have to make a video of themselves performing the challenge (and then get that video to a moderator) or have to do the challenge on a Skype call with a moderator -- both of these options lead to different potential challenges we can do.

I think expecting everybody to not only go to this trouble but also want to do physical challenges for a forum game is a little much, so the solution is to make the challenges tribe challenges where only one or two of the people do the physical part and everyone else does a different thing. If nobody left on a tribe can do that stuff, then we're done with physical challenges for the season.

So if you're willing to do physical challenges: video yourself and/or Skype call, I think I'd like to know about it now so I can know if there's enough support for this. If enough people are interested in that then I have a couple of ideas for physical challenges that sound like fun!

We have just under a month to get at least 5 more people to sign up, which seems easily doable, 16 seems to be the sweet spot, though. Tell all your friends!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 10:18:38 am »

I'd be up for physical challenges.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:50 am »

That's awesome! Are you willing to do video challenges, Skype challenges, or both? I have ideas that work for each format (and some that work for both, but not many of those).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:35 am »

I'd do video/picture/skype call things, for sure! Having it be a tribe thing is a great idea.

This seems to be coming along really well!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 10:36:01 am »

That's awesome! Are you willing to do video challenges, Skype challenges, or both? I have ideas that work for each format (and some that work for both, but not many of those).

Skype would be easier but I might be able to make video work.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 10:49:43 am »

Up for anything.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:02 pm »

I could maybe do a video thing, but it might be kind of hard.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »

hmm I'm kinda interested in joining this. But i've never really watched survivor much. I know some super general things about it but thats about it. Would it still be possible for me to play or do you think I would just be lost the whole time.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:03 am »

hmm I'm kinda interested in joining this. But i've never really watched survivor much. I know some super general things about it but thats about it. Would it still be possible for me to play or do you think I would just be lost the whole time.

I have no idea about anything.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:18 am »

I have no idea about anything.

good enough for me

/in
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 09:28:40 am »

WOO!! More people!

If you know absolutely nothing about the show, Wikipedia has season summaries that are OK, and you can watch full episodes of recent seasons of the show on CBS's website (with commercials). There used to be places on YouTube where you could watch old seasons of Survivor but they've been removed and I haven't seen any when I checked last.

It seems we have ADK, Eevee, Robz, and sudgy that have said they're willing to try out physical challenges. I'm going to do a more thorough pre-game survey closer to the time the game starts but four people was the minimum I was thinking for this.

So I'm going to put challenges with physical components into the rotation. We'll try one before the first tribal council (spoilers!) and if it goes well we'll do some more of them as long as enough people are still in the game that are willing to do them.

I'm hoping to officially kick the season off on Wednesday, September 24th. A week before that I'll ask everyone to confirm and hopefully we'll have 16 players (at least 14) at that point. We'll go through a pre-game survey at that point and we'll be ready to start the game!

-------------

One other idea, I'm wondering if anyone who is spectating the game would like to be a challenge "guinea pig" for me -- I'll open a QT and post some challenges in there and you can try them out and let me know if something should be tweaked. This might be a good way to "participate" in the game on your own time without spoiling large parts of the season if that's something you're interested in. Reply here or PM me if you're interested -- that testing could start now.

Actually this could work for anyone who isn't playing the game, so if you only care about trying out challenges and don't even want to watch, that's cool too.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:06 am »

One other idea, I'm wondering if anyone who is spectating the game would like to be a challenge "guinea pig" for me -- I'll open a QT and post some challenges in there and you can try them out and let me know if something should be tweaked. This might be a good way to "participate" in the game on your own time without spoiling large parts of the season if that's something you're interested in. Reply here or PM me if you're interested -- that testing could start now.

Actually this could work for anyone who isn't playing the game, so if you only care about trying out challenges and don't even want to watch, that's cool too.
I can do this, and will also spectate

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:47 am »

I'd be up for physical/video stuff, to the extent that I can do relatively easily. I do think it's important not to disadvantage anyone who wants to remain completely anonymous apart from their username though.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 10:48:27 am »

I'd be up for physical/video stuff, to the extent that I can do relatively easily. I do think it's important not to disadvantage anyone who wants to remain completely anonymous apart from their username though.

Totally agree, people will definitely NOT be disadvantaged for choosing not to participate in physical parts of challenges. Rather, if nobody is willing or able to do these parts of a challenge (don't have the equipment, time, or were eliminated from the game), then just won't do them.

Nevermind

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:12 am »

WOO!

-------------

I might be the guinea pig, but if someone else would rather be the guinea pig, then that's fine with me.

P.S. Nice survivor pun there.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 10:22:54 am »

As many guinea pigs as we can have is good -- if you'd like to do it then I'll be happy to send you the link.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »

I want to play but have lots of questions haha. What does QT stand for? How do you do challenges on a forum? How do you communicate with people? Through PMs? /in
Go, and do likewise.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 09:56:46 pm »

I want to play but have lots of questions haha. What does QT stand for? How do you do challenges on a forum? How do you communicate with people? Through PMs? /in

QT stands for QuickTopic, a free message board service that we use so that we can... communicate with people privately! Some examples of QTs that were used last season can be found here

As for challenges, well I have a variety of ideas (that are all awesome and I can't tell them to you) but they range from flash games to survey games, to Goko Dominion, to fun custom turn-based stuff (there will be a big variety). Well I don't want to give away all of my secrets, but some of them will be done asynchronously (make a move every 12 hours) and some of them will be to schedule a time with either just a moderator or a moderator and one to three other people to do a synchronous challenge

Any of your questions, please ask. I'll provide the best answers I can!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Survivor Season 2 (starting 9/24, sign up now!)
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 05:49:37 pm »

I am up for anything!
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 06:04:16 pm »

hmmm so if possible we want to try and get about 4 more people in this game at least?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 06:34:07 pm »

I am up for anything!

The thing we need most is players at the moment. I'm getting a good amount of support from people on the modding front and most the challenges are actually ready to go. I'll put you down for playing but if you change your mind let me know.

Also, Dsell, unless you have a preference I'm putting you down for playing too.

We still have more than two weeks, I'm confident we'll get at least two more people to sign up, but 16 definitely is the sweet spot. GET HYEP!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.