Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49  All

Author Topic: Arrested Development Mafia (RMM14) - Game Over; Town Wins!  (Read 100993 times)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: Arrested Development Mafia (RMM14) - Day1
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 12:52:38 pm »

Isn't doing something weird, arguably antitown to kickstart day 1 a quintessential town ash move?

Honestly? I have given up reading ash through traditional means.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2014, 12:55:43 pm »

A fair warning, I haven't read Time War at all.

Isn't doing something weird, arguably antitown to kickstart day 1 a quintessential town ash move?

Honestly? I have given up reading ash through traditional means.
I mean, just because he plays creative doesn't mean you should stop trying. There is definitely a method to his madness. Have you played any of the recent games where ash didn't play? In my opinion almost every single time game without ash has a significantly worse day 1. I really do think his style works.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:33 pm »

Works for whom, that's the question.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:42 pm »

Yes, I have played ash-less D1s. It's true that they feel "worse" at the time. But also REDACTED. Having ash around D1 isn't worse, it isn't better, it's just different.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2014, 12:58:50 pm »

I didn't realize I'd be putting him at L-1 (small games FTW) but I also don't regret it. Scum's not gonna quickhammer town and out themselves, so unless he's unannounced hated it doesn't make much difference.

So, like, there's no way joth and ash are both scum. Learning!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2014, 12:58:55 pm »

I think ashersky's claim is working just like intended - creating us real discussion topics and interactions. I'd still be VERY surprised if he was scum, what do you guys voting for him think he thought would happen?

I think he thought that he would get a nice town pass -- a lot of suspicion, but that town wouldn't have the guts to actually step up and lynch him.

I didn't realize I'd be putting him at L-1 (small games FTW) but I also don't regret it. Scum's not gonna quickhammer town and out themselves, so unless he's unannounced hated it doesn't make much difference.

Had someone else decided to sheep you without counting the votes, we'd have a lynch already.. But yea, mistakes happen, I'm glad Voltaire caught that.

I think it's extremely short-sighted level 1 paranoia thinking to want to lynch ash here.

To those who say "at least we wouldn't lynch a pr", I say "you can do better, believe in yourself a little".
To those who say "the claim only benefits scum", I present the kickstarting the day argument (it clearly worked!).
To those who say "ash is more likely to do this as scum", I say "I guess we read the situation completely different, then".

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:02 pm »

A fair warning, I haven't read Time War at all.

Then you need to read time war. It will take all of 5 minutes. Know ash is scum, and read his first few posts. Then know he wasn't the lynch.

Note that this isn't why I think ash is scum, but it's highly relevant.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »

So, like, there's no way joth and ash are both scum. Learning!
Yeah, bolding it so everyone remembers it!

It's very unlikely Joth and ash are scum from the same team! Someone must remember this in the late game!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »

My philosophy on day 1s is to get them over with as quickly as possible. (without being the lynch). they are dreadful dull.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2014, 01:01:37 pm »

My philosophy on day 1s is to get them over with as quickly as possible. (without being the lynch). they are dreadful dull.

How much RMM have you played?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2014, 01:02:15 pm »

In what way is ash's claim pro-town?

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2014, 01:02:48 pm »

How much RMM have you played?

I would argue that up until night 1, RMM is not much different than regular mafia.

He/him

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:11 pm »

In what way is ash's claim pro-town?
Some might argue it isn't, but it got us this. The game is progressing starting immediately from post 1!

I read ash's first five posts of TWM, and I think this is completely different. That was just him claiming early, like Galzria did in MC. This claim is very different.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2014, 01:05:25 pm »

This claim is very different.

In what way?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2014, 01:07:00 pm »

This claim is very different.

In what way?
It wasn't so extreme, Galzria decided to do the same in MC (as town) and he is generally known as a reasonable, "normal" player. Was ashersky really an enabler, btw?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2014, 01:08:47 pm »

It wasn't so extreme, Galzria decided to do the same in MC (as town) and he is generally known as a reasonable, "normal" player. Was ashersky really an enabler, btw?

Yes, he was. He had another 1-shot power he never used (which he would truthfully claim on a later day).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:28 pm »

Yes, he was. He had another 1-shot power he never used (which he would truthfully claim on a later day).
Thought so. I think in that situation ash would have claimed enabler even if he was town, so he was actually only lying about his alignment.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:59 pm »

is it weird that Eevee is defending Ash's claim and Ash is nowhere to be seen?

He/him

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2014, 01:12:01 pm »

is it weird that Eevee is defending Ash's claim and Ash is nowhere to be seen?

No, in that ash is on Australian time and almost certainly asleep right now.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2014, 02:34:41 pm »

vote: archetype

better than ashersky. this is a wagon scum might want to get on early.

This logic only works if you know Archetype is town.
I assume you meant ashersky? Him being town is the strongest read I have.

No, I meant Archetype.  Scum only want to get on that wagon early if Archetype is town.  It sounds like you know he is town and the possibility of his being scum didn't really occur to you.
I don't follow! I'm very much considering the possibility archetype might be scum, I'm even voting for him?
Oh, "this" was referring to the inevitable ashersky-wagon, not the possible archetype-wagon.

I did think you were referring to the Archetype wagon.  How did your reasoning go for getting off the ashersky wagon?  Were you thinking it was too tempting for scum? 

Also, how did you come to change your mind from voting ashersky to supporting him?

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »

Not sure what to make of this at all. My gut reaction is to not believe ashersky, but I'm not all about gut reactions. Nonetheless, my conclusion about early ash semi-claims is not to act on them one way or another. No town cred, etc. Whatever scum!ash might have hoped to gain from the claim, we should be careful not to offer. If ash does anything to earn town cred down the line, maybe we give some more weight to the claim.

Not a fan of the day 1 mass claim, as per usual.

This echoes my own thoughts on the matter. 

Also, ashersky's claim is total WIFOM and discussing it will get us nowhere b/c we simply don't know. 

Do we have anyone else looking like a possible lynch candidate?  It's always good to have more than one wagon going, I think.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2014, 02:41:34 pm »

Do we have anyone else looking like a possible lynch candidate?  It's always good to have more than one wagon going, I think.

No.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »

Hi everyone! Looks like we're off to a lively start...I had a rather crazy evening yesterday with little time for frivolity. Let me catch up now:

Well, the immediately most noticeable thing is ash's claim. I have to say it gives me a bad feeling, because, as others have said, it's strongly reminiscent of his play in Time War. And honestly, in Time War he had me fooled pretty much all the way up until the end, so my automated Scumhunting Guidance System (SGS) is telling me to find it scummy now. I guess the question is, would ash be audacious enough to do it twice in a row? Possible. I think that many questions in the form of "would ash be audacious enough to do X?" can be answered with yes. I do have to look at his wagon later though, because it seems like it accelerated a little too easily for my taste.

I think it's a bit premature for a fullclaim...don't worry, I'm sure people will start spontaneously claiming any minute now lol.

Eevee seems peppier than normal? Was it him that had the reverse V/LA announcement? In any case it gives me a towny feeling, especially because in GoT he lurked to the win as scum.

Meanwhile Volt is a little more laconic than I expected...I know he'll say "I'm not a superman! Don't expect miracles!" But still it's what I've come to expect haha. I'm not sure I like the opaque way in which he reacted to ash's claim. And you may know my feeling about soft deadlines by now (not worth talking about and rarely effective). Scummish feeling here.

joth's unannounced L-1 vote seems scummy prima facie, but I actually think it reads relatively towny to me--especially at this point in the game it's more likely that town is going to be cavalier with their vote like that, while I'm sure scum is watching the count like a hawk. Seems genuine enough so far.

Mostly null on the rest due to an as-of-yet paucity of posting. Slight town on xeiron (seems like he's always got something smart to say), slighter town on EFHW (normal, cordial self by the look of it), slight scum on faust (not quite as talky as I would have expected out of the gate). True null on Archetype, I can't read that guy worth a damn. But we'll see once they've given me something a little meatier to work with.

(insert topical Arrested Development quote here--I need to rewatch it so I have some zingers readily at my disposal lol)
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2014, 02:55:09 pm »

joth's unannounced L-1 vote seems scummy prima facie, but I actually think it reads relatively towny to me--especially at this point in the game it's more likely that town is going to be cavalier with their vote like that, while I'm sure scum is watching the count like a hawk. Seems genuine enough so far.

First, laconic? That's a new one. Second, though I obviously disagree with you about myself, I agree about joth's towniness for the same reasons you state.

But we'll see once they've given me something a little meatier to work with.

(insert topical Arrested Development quote here--I need to rewatch it so I have some zingers readily at my disposal lol)

You can just taste those meaty leading posters parts right now.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2014, 03:05:57 pm »

vote: archetype

better than ashersky. this is a wagon scum might want to get on early.

This logic only works if you know Archetype is town.
I assume you meant ashersky? Him being town is the strongest read I have.

No, I meant Archetype.  Scum only want to get on that wagon early if Archetype is town.  It sounds like you know he is town and the possibility of his being scum didn't really occur to you.
I don't follow! I'm very much considering the possibility archetype might be scum, I'm even voting for him?
Oh, "this" was referring to the inevitable ashersky-wagon, not the possible archetype-wagon.

I did think you were referring to the Archetype wagon.  How did your reasoning go for getting off the ashersky wagon?  Were you thinking it was too tempting for scum? 

Also, how did you come to change your mind from voting ashersky to supporting him?
I was never on the ashersky-wagon.

In fact my second post of the game was telling how I got a town read on him.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 16 queries.