Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Author Topic: Start A Conversation!  (Read 56589 times)

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Start A Conversation!
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2013, 10:38:11 am »
+1

Going back to physical time travel for a moment, special relativity can definitely get you up to X sec/sec, for arbitrarily high positive X, depending on how fast you go. Time travel to the future is no problem.

Time travel to the past may or not be possible. Certainly that's where all the tricky bits about paradoxes and causality come in, and the universe maybe just doesn't like that. Most of what I've read has suggested that if time travel were possible, it would involve general relativity somehow, the theory of relativity that includes gravity. Gravity "bends" space and time in odd ways according to the theory, and it might be enough to bend time around on itself.

Most of the suggestions I've seen have been kind of bizarre though. For example, if the entire universe were rotating, you might be able to go back in time by moving the right way through this rotating metric. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like our universe does rotate like that. Possibly you could fly around a configuration of cosmic strings (theoretical long massive 1D strings that may have been left over from the Big Bang). Unfortunately cosmic strings have never been observed. You might be able to prop open a wormhole or power a warp drive if you had a material with "negative" mass, which bent space-time in the opposite way than expected. No such material exists that we know of, although it may be possible through quantum-mechanical phenomena such as the Casimir Effect. Also, you might not be able to travel back in time to a point before you built the time machine, which would kind of make sense.

So from what I understand, time travel to the past may be possible, although it seems like the scientific and engineering obstacles would be quite daunting, to say nothing of the philosophical implications. Who knows though, humans are very clever...maybe it will be invented yesterday.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:50 am »
+4

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broadminded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is also no problem about changing the course of history - the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveller's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you for instance how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations whilst you are actually travelling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own father or mother.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semi-Conditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up: and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

BoxOfDOG

• Coppersmith
  • "I refuse, officer, to get out of the box."
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »

Haha! I'm having trouble reading all this.

Day 6!
~Mafia~

Here we go! Mafia. Please no more time travel! So if you just don't like the subject, tell me! And I'll fix it without hesitation. (Unless, of course, someone else does like it)
NMIII: VT (IDK) NMIV: VT (L) RMM9: Nathan Drake (D) RMM11: Pied Piper (Lightning Rod) (W)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2013, 02:10:06 pm »

I cannot play Mafia online. I get too obsessed and spend my time arguing. I've learned my lesson from Mafia #2.

Also, I still cannot see how odds for the first night vote can be improved to something greater than 1/N. I guess the idea is to rattle cages so that the guilty party slips up. Seems like clamming up is the best policy.

Now after people discover the secrets of the townspeople…that's a different story.
A man has no signature

BoxOfDOG

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »

You know, I actually just found this website called "Epic Mafia"

It has over 100 unique roles, and it looks like a live game, rather than belated and articulate posts, like Forum Mafia (Which is more fun. Being articulate is fun.)
NMIII: VT (IDK) NMIV: VT (L) RMM9: Nathan Drake (D) RMM11: Pied Piper (Lightning Rod) (W)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2013, 03:23:02 pm »

Epic Mafia is pretty awful, or at least it was a few years ago when I played it. I enjoyed it at first, just because it was cool, but the more I played the more and more disillusioned I became at the community in general, it was very rare to not have a game without various idiots very low skilled players in competitive games, trolls, and occasional hackers.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2013, 12:33:20 am »

(Sorry, when I saw time travel I had to say this, I'm late)

I have figured out there are only TWO things that can be possible about time travel to the past (to the future is a known reality already)

1. It is impossible.
2. When you go in the past, it makes a new universe.

Now, the reason that the past can't fit into the present, is this: The universe is indeterminate.  If you go back to the past, things won't happen the same way they did even if you had already done it.  Also, the universe can't have you already in the past because it doesn't even know you invented a time machine in the future yet.

Alright, today's discussion: I like mafia.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:44 am »
+3

You should have just gone back to yesterday to post it then.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:30 am »
+1

I have figured out there are only TWO things that can be possible about time travel to the past (to the future is a known reality already)

1. It is impossible.

Now, the reason that the past can't fit into the present, is this: The universe is indeterminate.  If you go back to the past, things won't happen the same way they did even if you had already done it.  Also, the universe can't have you already in the past because it doesn't even know you invented a time machine in the future yet.

You sure about that?

Certainly there are aspects of quantum mechanics, for example, that are probabalistic in nature. But the evolution of the wavefunction proceeds deterministically...the measurements are the parts that have elements of randomness in some interpretations, and possibly these may be explained by ideas like decoherence.

Also, there's no guarantee that we're anywhere near the true, ultimate, or "maximally knowable" theory of science. There's a lot that we still don't understand and it would be arrogant to presume we know much about the true nature of the universe. It's possible that "God does not play dice" after all.

Not saying that it's one way or the other. But it's a sticky issue for sure.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2013, 06:47:22 am »

If there is time travel, how come we haven't seen any time travelers (from the future) yet?  :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:40 am »

If there is time travel, how come we haven't seen any time travelers (from the future) yet?  :P
Oh, but we have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BoxOfDOG

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2013, 11:50:47 am »

Gosh danit! I said NO TIME TRAVELING BETWEEN CONVERSATIONS.
With that out of the way..

Day 7!
~TV Shows~

For me, I'd say my favorite childhood show was Spongebob.. When I was 9, I made the mistake of making my bedroom Spongebob themed. To this day, I haven't taken down the numerous stickers upon my wall.. I also have a Spongebob blanket, that I still use..

I only just now realized how sad that sounds..

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2013, 12:17:39 pm »

I could never get into Spongebob. Although, to be honest, I never really tried. What little I saw just did not inspire me to watch more.

I did enjoy watching Ren & Stimpy in college, though. And I had a soft spot for Rocko.

Current TV right now consists of Grimm and Sleepy Hollow. Not sure if I'm impressed enough with the latter to keep watching it, but I'll stick it out.

I never watched Breaking Bad, but I've heard great things. And AMC is showing a marathon tomorrow evening to prepare for the series finale. If I can manage the entirety of the show on the two DVR devices I have, then I may just be able to watch the series.

And tonight is Agents of SHIELD. You can bet I'll be watching that mofo.
A man has no signature

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2013, 12:46:07 pm »

1. It is impossible.

You sure about that?

Certainly there are aspects of quantum mechanics, for example, that are probabalistic in nature. But the evolution of the wavefunction proceeds deterministically...the measurements are the parts that have elements of randomness in some interpretations, and possibly these may be explained by ideas like decoherence.

Also, there's no guarantee that we're anywhere near the true, ultimate, or "maximally knowable" theory of science. There's a lot that we still don't understand and it would be arrogant to presume we know much about the true nature of the universe. It's possible that "God does not play dice" after all.

Not saying that it's one way or the other. But it's a sticky issue for sure.

I believe that that's how the universe works, for reasons other than scientific (but that belongs in RSP).

Favorite TV show is Clannad, hands down.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2013, 01:09:49 pm »
+1

Psych. Nuf said.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2013, 01:17:40 pm »

Twin Peaks!  Discussion!

I'm a fan of Psych as well.  And Venture Brothers is great.  And since I've been in recovery I've watched about 7 seasons of How I Met Your Mother in a week.

And the British Sherlock (with Benedict Cumberbatch) is great, too.  One of the best shows, I would say.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »

Breaking Bad is truly awesome television. I hope to watch the most recent episode today at lunch.

Twin Peaks is pretty brilliant as well. I only watched the first season though.

Game of Thrones anyone? My favorite new show in quite some time. The wait between seasons is agony. And yes, I know I could read the books, but I've gotten so invested in the TV show I wouldn't want to spoil it by reading ahead! That's a rare occurrence for me at least.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2013, 04:02:29 pm »
+1

You guys are all pretty wrong.

Obivously the best TV Show is QI, no competition.

After that is settled, we can discuss other ones.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »
+1

I would say that obviously Clannad is the best TV Show.  I have a hard time picking favorites, except in this case.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »

I would say that obviously Clannad is the best TV Show.  I have a hard time picking favorites, except in this case.

That is so outside my interest zone, I cannot connect at all.
Jap High School Dramas (I suspect this is one) I cannot stomach, and esp not ones based on games which are basically lonely young teen fap materials. Sigh.

As for animated shows, Batman: The Animated Series is way above anything else. Brave and the Bold is quite good, too.
As for jap ones, I was really into them before, kinda hard to single one out, I did really like Champloo, FMA (new one) and Berserk.

Other stuff that I would single out is Only Fool and Horses as a comedy show and BSG as a drama. Love both of em. OFAH is quite an unusual one as it has cult following here where I live, and, as I understand, is quite unknown otherwise outside of UK, which is a shame.

@AGoT: A game of Thrones I stopped watching after 2 seasons (having read the books), but series is quite, quite awesome!!

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2013, 05:08:07 pm »

That is so outside my interest zone, I cannot connect at all.
Jap High School Dramas (I suspect this is one) I cannot stomach, and esp not ones based on games which are basically lonely young teen fap materials. Sigh.

The main thing about this one is that it is extremely well written.  And, the best section is more just a slice of life type story.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2013, 05:08:37 pm »

That is a problem with it though, is that it takes a while to like it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9190
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:47 pm »

Currently watching:

HIMYM -- excited for the end
Revolution -- extremely intriguing premise, mediocre-to-pretty-good execution
Once Upon A Time -- awesome concepts, OK execution, cheesy fun
Glee -- guilty pleasure, shhhh
Arrested Development -- more will be coming on Netflix, right?
Community
The Legend of Korra
Gravity Falls
Naruto
One Piece -- recently got into it, now caught up
Futurama -- I know it's over now; I haven't watched the last few episodes yet

Some things I watched that are done:

Heroes -- it got worse as the seasons went on, but I'm a really loyal viewer
Lost
House
Lie to Me
Buffy/Angel
Dollhouse
FlashForward -- really neat premise and I liked the execution, was sad to see it axed after one season
Awake -- also neat, also decently well done, also axed early
V
Full Metal Alchemist (both series)
Bleach -- and I'm still following the manga, even though it feels a bit like a gong show now. :P
Scrubs
Friends

Things I kind of want to get into:

Parks and Rec
Modern Family

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2013, 07:16:16 pm »

Parks and Rec
Modern Family

I'd recommend Cougar Town and Happy Endings as well. Happy Endings is just terrific writing paired with a terrific ensemble, it really sucks that it was cancelled. Cougar Town is the same as the above except that it's NOTHING like it sounds (at least after the first half-season) and it pokes fun at itself ALL the time.

I'm not sure if there is going to be any more AD on Netflix but there's supposed to be a movie!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »

Parks and Rec
Modern Family

I'd recommend Cougar Town and Happy Endings as well. Happy Endings is just terrific writing paired with a terrific ensemble, it really sucks that it was cancelled. Cougar Town is the same as the above except that it's NOTHING like it sounds (at least after the first half-season) and it pokes fun at itself ALL the time.

I'm not sure if there is going to be any more AD on Netflix but there's supposed to be a movie!

Also 30 Rock and The Office! How are those not on your lists!!?!?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.