Dominion > Dominion Articles

Combo: Hermit/Madman + Market Square

<< < (2/23) > >>

SirPeebles:

--- Quote from: Morgrim7 on February 06, 2013, 12:35:55 am ---Great article! Small note: 2-cost Villages could really help here in the Hermit into Madman phase. More than one Hermit per turn played can be really nice, with all the Market Squares you'll be wanting.
Also, Spice Merchant would excell as an opener here.

--- End quote ---

After some further thought, Spice Merchant would not be so great.  You don't want to trash much of your initial Copper since in your megaturn, you will need a hefty hand size to pick up the pile of Market Squares and Gold.

Let's consider this idealized case.  You grab nothing but Hermits and Market Squares.  Along the way you trash 2 of the 3 initial Estates.  This leaves us with a deck of 7 Copper, 1 Estate, 3 Hermits, 6 Madmen, and some variable M Market Squares.  This keeps us under 30 cards, so 3 Madmen will draw the full deck, leaving us with a hand of 7+1+3+3+M = 14 + M cards.  Now we play a Hermit, trashing an Estate, gaining some card, and discarding all M Market Squares and gaining M Golds.  This leaves us with 12 cards in hand and 2M+1 cards in the discard.  Now we play a Madman, bringing us down to 11 cards in hand and thus drawing 11 card.  So we will draw the entire discard if we had no more than 5 Market Squares.

If we'd trashed away Coppers, we wouldn't be drawing the discard pile.  The Copper doesn't get in the way during the megaturn. The Copper is also useful during the building phase, since Hermit+3 Coppers means you'll gain two key cards rather than only one. Really the only place that the Copper hurts at all is in trying to line up Madmen to safely trigger the megaturn.  But I don't think this is such a serious issue, and certainly not worth trashing Copper over.  After all, if that Spice Merchant purchase had been a Hermit purchase, you might already be a turn ahead.

AdamH:
Upon first glance, this appears much better than this thing I came up with. I should try this.

Beyond Awesome:
This is crazy awesome! I will have to try it out against the bots first and see what happens. But, sounds good on paper.

EDIT: Okay, I just tried this. Works very well. I think it is easier to pull off than NV/Bridge most of the time because of Hermits ability to kill curses easily. This combo is pretty fun actually.

kn1tt3r:
Great stuff. It's always kinda awesome when new megaturn combos turn up, and this is definately a nice example.

Mirror matches are probably really interesting and tense.

Qualdrion:
I'm not sure about that - In a mirror match both will only get like 5 hermits which means you will only get one round of golds when you pull the trigger, so you would only get like 5-6 of them depending on the number of market squares. And you probably wouldn't have enough buys to end the game easily without getting even more buys at that point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version