Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Reversing cards  (Read 11749 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Reversing cards
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »

So, a little while back, I posted a card in the bad card ideas thread (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=114.0) that was called Attic, which was just a reverse Cellar.

Attic
+1 Action
Draw any number of cards. Discard the same number of cards.
Action

Are there any other cards that the reverse of would be incredibly broken/actually a good card?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Reversing cards
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:24:15 pm »

I posted the following "reverse" of Pearl Diver once, if it counts.

Anchor
$2 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

Look at the top card of your deck.  You may put it on bottom.

It was meant as a joke, but sometimes I wonder if it would be better than Pearl Diver.  For the most part it's just a cantrip with a minor effect, like Pearl Diver.  But it may be useful for clustering cards together (at the bottom of your deck) which combo well.  Of course, you can't exactly select which cards you Anchor, since it's whichever one gets revealed.  But at there's some possibility for combos.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:46:29 pm »

I posted the following "reverse" of Pearl Diver once, if it counts.

Anchor
$2 Action

+1 Card
+1 Action

Look at the top card of your deck.  You may put it on bottom.

It was meant as a joke, but sometimes I wonder if it would be better than Pearl Diver.  For the most part it's just a cantrip with a minor effect, like Pearl Diver.  But it may be useful for clustering cards together (at the bottom of your deck) which combo well.  Of course, you can't exactly select which cards you Anchor, since it's whichever one gets revealed.  But at there's some possibility for combos.

Technically, for it to be the reverse, shouldn't you look at the top first, move it or not, then draw what's on top?  That would probably be significantly more powerful than PD.

Chamber of Secrets
Draw any number of cards.  -$1 for each card drawn.
----
When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal this card from your hand.  If you do, place two cards from your hand on top of your deck, then +2 cards.

Well, the reaction really sucks.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1195
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:35 pm »

Anchor does not suffer from the problem of estate remaining on the bottom of your deck for a whole shuffle of useless pearl divers.

Anti-Chancellor $3, Action
+$2
You may put your discard pile on your deck in any order.

The ultimate scheme. Synergizes with chancellor.

Edit: It seems you are actually looking for "You may put your deck into your discard. +$2."
Not quite as exciting that way for chancellor.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:44:21 am by heron »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:25 pm »
+1

Chamber of Secrets
----
When another player plays an attack card, you may reveal this card from your hand.  If you do, place two cards from your hand on top of your deck, then +2 cards.

Or, to fit with the format of Attic,

+ any number of $. Discard the same number of cards.

Which would be pretty broken, since you can name any number of $ and not care about how many cards are left in you hand...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:30:28 pm »

Unless you were relying on Counterfeit or Contraband for +buy
Well you *do* need a signature...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 06:14:34 pm »

yrusaerT
When you trash this card, if you bought a victory card this turn, you may put it on the bottom of your discard pile.
--
+$1
+1 action
+1 card
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2137
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »

Telmah:
+1 action
You may draw a card. If you don't, +1 action
You may draw a card. If you don't, +1 buy.
Discard a card

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1195
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 12:03:07 am »
+5

Niacitcat: +5 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy. If you drew any cards this way, discard your hand at the start of your next turn.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 01:12:31 am »
+4

Noissessop
$6P - Action
The player to the right of the player to your left takes another turn after this, in which he can see all the cards you cant see and make all the decisions that he doesnt make for yourself. All the cards he doesnt gain you dont gain, any cards of yours that are not trashed are set aside and returned to his draw pile at the end of the turn.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 01:30:08 pm »

yrusaerT
When you trash this card, if you bought a victory card this turn, you may put it on the bottom of your discard pile.
--
+$1
+1 action
+1 card
Combos well with farmland, at least.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12875
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:05 pm »

Chamber of Secrets
----

Well, the reaction really sucks.
I think the reaction should be "When you place two cards from your hand on top of your deck, then +2, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, another player plays an attack card".

It's even less useful now, won't do anything against Torturer.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 06:06:12 pm »

Reversed Venture (also known as Adr get it?)

When you play this, reveal cards form your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Play that Treasure. Discard the other cards.

Only difference current difference would be interaction with other Ventures. Can't combo with Tunnels anymore, so probably slightly weaker. On the other hand, if your discard pile is better than your deck but only has other ventures in it this might be better (as you do all your treasure searching first, and then so don't shuffle the cards you've pulled off the deck in)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »

When you play this, reveal cards form your deck until you reveal a Treasure. Play that Treasure. Discard the other cards.

Only difference current difference would be interaction with other Ventures. Can't combo with Tunnels anymore, so probably slightly weaker. On the other hand, if your discard pile is better than your deck but only has other ventures in it this might be better (as you do all your treasure searching first, and then so don't shuffle the cards you've pulled off the deck in)

Did you forget to reverse it?  The text is the same as regular Venture.  Your description seems to suggest that you are taking cards back from the discard and then maybe topdecking the non-Treasures?

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 08:44:22 pm »

Did you forget to reverse it?  The text is the same as regular Venture.  Your description seems to suggest that you are taking cards back from the discard and then maybe topdecking the non-Treasures?
The (small) difference is that the effects "Play that Treasure." and "Discard the other cards." are interchanged, which could matter if you find another Reversed Venture with your first reversed venture.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:38 pm »

The (small) difference is that the effects "Play that Treasure." and "Discard the other cards." are interchanged, which could matter if you find another Reversed Venture with your first reversed venture.

Well, that still combos with Venture.  I suppose multiples can't flip the same Tunnel more than once, nor can they find Gold gained from flipping Tunnel.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:57 pm »

In the original example, nothing is reversed, just the order things happen. Same here. But yeah, the difference is rather minor but still enough that its kinda cool to consider.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:52 pm »
+1

Niacitcat: +5 Cards, +1 Action, +1 Buy. If you drew any cards this way, discard your hand at the start of your next turn.
Great for draw-your-deck engines when there's absolutely no buy on the table!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10774
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 10:39:38 am »

This is almost always better than Tactician, but in a Kingdom without any Villages, and strong Terminals; you might rather have Tactician.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 11:54:11 am »

Great for draw-your-deck engines when there's absolutely no buy on the table!

Much like Ruined Market in that respect!

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:51 pm »

Baroness
2 VP
Whenever you gain a Gold, you may also gain a Baronese.
Victory - $3

It is the reverse of a Tunnel, but also looks like a Duchess in some senses...

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 03:47:27 pm »

Baroness
2 VP
Whenever you gain a Gold, you may also gain a Baronese.
Victory - $3

It is the reverse of a Tunnel, but also looks like a Duchess in some senses...

The reverse of a Tunnel should be when you discard a Gold, right?

I kind of like the "when you gain a Gold" effect, though, as a mechanic. It acts like the opposite of Duchess, and functions a bit like Harem.

The actual opposite of Baron also seems nifty: "You may gain an Estate; if you do, +$4".

ahyangyi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »

Aitilim
+ 4 coins
Every other player draws to 7 cards.
----------------------------------
Action, $2

The reversed "discard-to-3" (that is, 5 minus 2) is "draw-to-7" (that is, 5 plus 2), I think?

This is a card that's not very good if you only play it once, but very strong if you play it lots of times. Therefore, exactly the opposite of Militia. Also interestingly combos with Militia.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 10:46:46 pm »
+1

Relggah
This costs two coins to play.
When you buy a card, gain a card costing more than it that is a victory card.

Gah Aes
Discard the top card of your discard pile, and gain a curse, putting it on the bottom of the trash.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 05:29:02 am »

Crazy Chapel
Trash this. Play up to four Action cards from your hand.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:32:20 am by Asper »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.