Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176554 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #2325 on: March 25, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »

Oh, I love mobile computing. Coming from Android their is a distinct lack of control, customization or even utility. The dock is tumor that can't be tweaked in any way. The keyboard is awful. Try setting up a ssh tunnel and forwarding specific traffic through. Haha, sucker, Apple decided you don't need that degree of access to the system. Battery and screen are amazing and I like that here is no right side up. Other than that it pales in every single way to Android. Also if you can actually find an app worth using it costs triple as you would find it in play store for if it weren't free. No Firefox for god's sake. Did I mention the keyboard is terrible?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: March 25, 2014, 05:38:55 pm »
+3

Well, if you use all that stuff for work then its not a very good choice.

Ipads pro's are its simple and easy to use, but the cost of that is customisability, which sounds like its important to you. Me, i never use all that stuff on my tablet or phone.

Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 25, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »
+1

The phrase "if you think [whatever], you've got another thing coming" was originally "another think coming".

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53:16 pm »

Well, if you use all that stuff for work then its not a very good choice.

Ipads pro's are its simple and easy to use, but the cost of that is customisability, which sounds like its important to you. Me, i never use all that stuff on my tablet or phone.

I forgot to mention the worst of all. You seriously have to install itunes on a host computer to move files onto the device. Absolutely unacceptable. My android device allows me to drop files directly onto it if USB connected and otherwise I can use FTP or rsync or a network browser to do it remotely and wirelessly. iOS is in the dark ages in this regard. For example I found a ssh app that used private keys and allowed port forwarding but I had to side load the private key with iTunes. There was no alternative. Requiring third party software and a tether to effectively use the device is asinine and I am bewildered that people stand for it.

Any tablet will let you surf in bed. Why pay $900 for the Apple tablet to do that? For the premium charged there should be an expectation of increased utility when it is precisely the opposite.

On my way to birthing class tonight I remotely streamed music from home server wirelessly to my car stereo. Basic DLNA through a secure tunnel. Impossible on iOS. Yet Apple would have you believe they are media centric. I laugh in their general direction.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:57 pm »

To be fair, after some research it appears much of what I would like to accomplish becomes feasible with a jailbroken device. I should note that my Android device is rooted although a great deal of the desired functionality doesn't require root privileges whereas the iOS device would.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: March 25, 2014, 09:28:31 pm »
+4

http://m.tickld.com/x/25-signs-made-funnier-by-people-number-7-is-priceless

Ugh, I am really annoyed by this latest twist on the viral list where they tell you that some particular item on the list will be funny.  I'm pretty sure that the number is just chosen arbitrarily from the middle somewhere, since it never seems to be a particular funny item.  It is just there to get you to persevere through a few.  And in this instance it is worse than usual since the items aren't even numbered.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: March 25, 2014, 09:31:21 pm »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the  early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the  attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently  repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.”  There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech,  although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its  reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from  general acceptance.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1560
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: March 25, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
+1

Coming from Android their is a distinct lack of control, customization or even utility.
Yes, if you value control and customization, then an iPad is the wrong choice and an Android tablet is the right choice. That has nothing to do with the quality of the device, just that it's the wrong device for your needs.

Any tablet will let you surf in bed. Why pay $900 for the Apple tablet to do that?
This just makes me think you're being obtuse, though. The only way to even spend $900 on an iPad is to include absolutely every option (Cellular, 128GB, latest model), which does come out to $929. That's overkill for surfing in bed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:47:17 pm by blueblimp »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: March 25, 2014, 10:09:34 pm »
+1

Ipads pro's are its simple and easy to use, but the cost of that is customisability and money
FTFY

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: March 25, 2014, 10:20:54 pm »

The phrase "if you think [whatever], you've got another thing coming" was originally "another think coming".

So you're saying I shouldn't rely on the literacy of Judas Priest to get through the day?

But that does bug me, yes.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: March 26, 2014, 07:04:18 am »

Coming from Android their is a distinct lack of control, customization or even utility.
Yes, if you value control and customization, then an iPad is the wrong choice and an Android tablet is the right choice. That has nothing to do with the quality of the device, just that it's the wrong device for your needs.

Any tablet will let you surf in bed. Why pay $900 for the Apple tablet to do that?
This just makes me think you're being obtuse, though. The only way to even spend $900 on an iPad is to include absolutely every option (Cellular, 128GB, latest model), which does come out to $929. That's overkill for surfing in bed.

I think I see what you are saying. The average bed surfer gets the $400 model that is somewhat competitive with the top end Android devices on price but not features. It still makes no sense. Why not spend $150 for the equally equipped Android? And price comparisons aside, what about Apple devices is attractive over Android? I'll give you that money is no object and you have no desire to control or customize. What makes you choose Apple then?

As for being obtuse, no, I just understand how technology works and see no point in buying anything less than the most fully equipped model of whatever it is unless I really am looking to solve a very specific problem where no overkill is needed. The overkill today just barely makes spec next week for whatever it is you want to do. My employer insisted I have the top model in this device. I should note my primary use here is 3D model manipulation and toting full sets of CAD DWGs onto remote job sites. Cellular is mandatory and 128GB is approaching paltry. Wonder how this thing will stack up in a year?

No expandable storage is another head scratcher here.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:47 am »
+4

Well you *do* need a signature...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: March 26, 2014, 08:59:26 am »

What do you mean "originally"?  I believe "thing" has always been considered incorrect.

(Looks at grammarist)

WTF?  What is wrong with people these days??  I guess we can't speak or write correctly any longer.

Non-English speakers, since we have a bunch here:  do you have the same problems in your language, where people hear something wrong, then keep repeating it incorrectly, even now in the age of print?  Should I give up on English, or are other languages basically the same?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:29 am »
+2

Classic; "I could care less". Good for you because I couldn't so you keep dealing with it. That always confuses them.

Also, the misuse of the word ironic. 99% of the time what they meant to say was coincidental and .5% of the time they meant undesirable. I blame Alanis Morrisette.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:06 am »

Classic; "I could care less". Good for you because I couldn't so you keep dealing with it. That always confuses them.

Also, the misuse of the word ironic. 99% of the time what they meant to say was coincidental and .5% of the time they meant undesirable. I blame Alanis Morrisette.

Alanis Morrisette's song is clearly meta-ironic.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: March 26, 2014, 09:46:52 am »
+4

Non-English speakers, since we have a bunch here:  do you have the same problems in your language, where people hear something wrong, then keep repeating it incorrectly, even now in the age of print?  Should I give up on English, or are other languages basically the same?

Yes. It's called the evolution of language. It's really not a big deal, it's been happening for centuries.

There are seriously countless examples in French of meaning changing over time because people misuse words.When it happens currently with new spellings/meanings added to the dictionary, people act as if the sky is falling and people these days can't speak properly, when really it's just how languages work.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:58 am »

What do you mean "originally"?  I believe "thing" has always been considered incorrect.

(Looks at grammarist)

WTF?  What is wrong with people these days??  I guess we can't speak or write correctly any longer.

Well, this is a phrase where the original was intentionally incorrect, grammatically. Whereas "thing" fits grammatically and makes sense. I'd never heard or read the phrase with "think" instead, until recently.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: March 26, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »
+1

http://www.gdriv.es/derivclicker/game.html
any idea what the formula is for how mathematicians affect ticks?  I'm trying to build spreadsheets, because my alternative is doing work :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12876
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2345 on: March 26, 2014, 12:56:08 pm »

I don't think mishearing things is a big problem in Finnish since the pronunciation of Finnish words is so simple. However, we have a different but similar problem: people hear a word correctly, but don't know what it means and assume its meaning wrong, usually because they are familiar with a similar English word which has a different meaning. For example, it is pretty common to see "pateettinen" (epic, pompous, melodramatic) being used as the equivalent of pathetic.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: March 26, 2014, 01:02:37 pm »
+2

"I could care less" is very annoying. I feel like screaming in grammatical pain when someone says it, especially on TV of the radio.

George Carlin had a great example of irony. Someone being rushed to the hospital for an emergency and the ambulance is hit by a truck, that's not ironic. A diabetic being rushed to the hospital and the ambulance is hit by a truck full of insulin, that's ironic.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: March 26, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »

I could care less about what you think of my use of the phrase "I could care less".
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: March 26, 2014, 01:12:10 pm »

I could care less about what you think of my use of the phrase "I could care less".

Thank you for your concern.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: March 26, 2014, 01:22:01 pm »
+2

I'm bothered that "I could care less" and "I couldn't care less" have the same meaning.

Kind of like "I'm up for that" and "I'm down with that"
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 16 queries.