Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1176538 times)

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #1425 on: December 19, 2013, 01:38:08 pm »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 19, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »

Some real gems in here: http://distractify.com/fun/fails/test-answers-that-are-totally-wrong-but-still-genius/

This is currently slashdotted.  I had no idea f.DS had that kind of reach.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 19, 2013, 02:03:01 pm »
+1

Some real gems in here: http://distractify.com/fun/fails/test-answers-that-are-totally-wrong-but-still-genius/

I love how #8 is marked correct.

I believe the red checkmark means that it was counted incorrect.

Granted, it's been a long time since I was in school, but I remember if an answer was marked, it was marked wrong. Hard to tell how this teacher grades without seeing the rest of the test.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 19, 2013, 02:18:20 pm »
+2

I've never heard of checkmrks indictaing that something is wrong.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:57 pm »
+2

This is possibly why kids today are so stupid!!!
A tick means wrong!

Well, that and fizzy drinks!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 19, 2013, 03:00:29 pm »
+1

Depends on the teacher. It may also be a cultural thing, but I don't know enough of teachers in other countries to say otherwise. Like I said, it's pretty obvious which questions are wrong by how your teacher marks them. Just viewing a single question with no knowledge of the teacher's style isn't enough to tell you if the red checkmark is supposed to be right or wrong.

Though, one thing that is nearly universal is that teachers tend to not mark correct answers, so there's that.

But I think it's the comments that are slaying me. Why did I even read them?

There are hundreds of comments devoted to whether or not the teacher was wrong in responding to #1. Some "gems":

"nope your wrong the number "pie" or "3.14...." doesnt end therefore it cant be divided at all"

"1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, and 47.... all the prime numbers less than 50"

"So I can divide 1 by 2?? Wow... you must have been a super duper student..."

"Inanimate objects don't carry an apostrophe when dealing with ownership."

Plus a multitude of people saying the teacher sucked for not properly defining an even number while forgetting that this was likely a test for a freakin' first-grader who really does only need to know that a larger number can be determined to be odd or even by looking at the ones digit.

Although, #7 could have been answered by a Dominion pro.

A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:14 pm »
+3

I love how #8 is marked correct.

It has to be.  If it were marked incorrect, then the student would have taken a risk in claiming that answer was a risk.  Therefore, that answer was a risk, so it must be correct. 

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 19, 2013, 03:32:16 pm »
+3

Though, one thing that is nearly universal is that teachers tend to not mark correct answers, so there's that.

This was absolutely not the case when I was in school (based on personal experience at 4 or 5 schools in the UK).

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 19, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »
+6

This was absolutely not the case when I was in school (based on personal experience at 4 or 5 schools in the UK).

You'd have to have got a question right to know that surely....?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: December 19, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
+1

Depends on the teacher. It may also be a cultural thing, but I don't know enough of teachers in other countries to say otherwise. Like I said, it's pretty obvious which questions are wrong by how your teacher marks them. Just viewing a single question with no knowledge of the teacher's style isn't enough to tell you if the red checkmark is supposed to be right or wrong.

But I think it's the comments that are slaying me. Why did I even read them?

There are hundreds of comments devoted to whether or not the teacher was wrong in responding to #1. Some "gems":

"nope your wrong the number "pie" or "3.14...." doesnt end therefore it cant be divided at all"

"1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, and 47.... all the prime numbers less than 50"

"So I can divide 1 by 2?? Wow... you must have been a super duper student..."

"Inanimate objects don't carry an apostrophe when dealing with ownership."

Plus a multitude of people saying the teacher sucked for not properly defining an even number while forgetting that this was likely a test for a freakin' first-grader who really does only need to know that a larger number can be determined to be odd or even by looking at the ones digit.

Hands down best comment in the thread:

Tara Paisley 0 is not divisible by 2. If you have nothing you cannot half it, it is simple common sense. However, even as i'm saying this I know somebody will most likely comment back, but if we were actually children looking at these questions without trying to disprove every single person that was looking at them before us, or trying to find any way of making the answer incorrect do you honestly believe you would have come up with any of these fun carefree answers?

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: December 19, 2013, 04:11:07 pm »
+1

I do! With a checkmark, even.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 19, 2013, 04:29:49 pm »

Okay, probably a cultural thing. In my experience, a question isn't marked unless it's wrong. Sometimes a teacher may provide an alternate answer to let the student know that there was more than one possibility.
A man has no signature

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: December 19, 2013, 04:33:35 pm »
+1

I don't see what should be wrong with #7 anyway?

Polk5440

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 19, 2013, 04:45:51 pm »
+2

Yeah, #7 should totally be correct, as well. I mean, it's clear what the question should be, but that's not what it is.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 19, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure if I had read the question properly and noticed the messed up order, I would have assumed it was a trick question. I mean why even mention the order things happen in if it's not important?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: December 19, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »
+2

My favourite is the one in Chinese.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: December 19, 2013, 07:02:32 pm »
+4

Yeah, #7 should totally be correct, as well. I mean, it's clear what the question should be, but that's not what it is.

About a month ago I had an economics test, where one of the questions was something like "blah blah blah is less than which of the following? A. 1, B. 2, C. 3, D. 4".  I was about 95% sure that whatever it was was less than 1 (or whatever the actual numbers were, don't remember) so clearly that's what you were supposed to put, but I was really tempted to choose D since it was guaranteed to be technically correct (assuming at least one answer was correct).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 19, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »
+2

About a month ago I had an economics test, where one of the questions was something like "blah blah blah is less than which of the following? A. 1, B. 2, C. 3, D. 4".  I was about 95% sure that whatever it was was less than 1 (or whatever the actual numbers were, don't remember) so clearly that's what you were supposed to put, but I was really tempted to choose D since it was guaranteed to be technically correct (assuming at least one answer was correct).

I think MC tests usually tell you to choose the answer that is "most correct", to cover situations where it seems like there are no correct answers or, as in your scenario, multiple correct answers.  Of course, "most correct" is not necessarily well defined.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
+1

I think MC tests usually tell you to choose the answer that is "most correct", to cover situations where it seems like there are no correct answers or, as in your scenario, multiple correct answers.  Of course, "most correct" is not necessarily well defined.
but in this case all the answers are equally correct. you could argue that d is the "most correct" because blah blah blah is the more less than 4 than it is 3, 2, and 1.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: December 19, 2013, 09:39:16 pm »
+2

No good test writer leaves a multiple-choice question open to the possibility of more than one correct answer.  Unless of course the question is worded "Choose one or more of the following."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:47 pm »

but in this case all the answers are equally correct. you could argue that d is the "most correct" because blah blah blah is the more less than 4 than it is 3, 2, and 1.

That's why I said it's not necessarily well defined.

No good test writer leaves a multiple-choice question open to the possibility of more than one correct answer.  Unless of course the question is worded "Choose one or more of the following."

Agreed, but there are plenty of bad test writers out there, no?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: December 19, 2013, 10:50:03 pm »
+3

Because this thread needs more a capella and more math jokes.

(This is quite old, of course)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: December 20, 2013, 03:45:49 am »
+4

Multiple choice is hard.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: December 20, 2013, 11:38:19 am »
+1

Cookie clicker update
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: December 20, 2013, 11:50:45 am »

Cookie clicker update

Yay Christmas upgrades!
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.