Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Game where bureaucrat/silver beats amb/silver  (Read 1231 times)

chesskidnate

• Salvager
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
Game where bureaucrat/silver beats amb/silver
« on: July 14, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »
+1

One of the main things I've noticed about ambassador is that it can actually help your opponent if they're aiming to get 5 or less coins each turn. In this (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/14/game-20120714-160553-4f293f41.html) game my opponent opened with amb/silver and I opened with bureaucrat/silver eyeing the duchies, dukes, and silk roads. My deck was able to handle the junk from his ambassadors and jesters rather well because I had a lot of silvers and also the coppers that they gave me were more of a benefit than a problem since I only wanted to get to 4-5 coins. My opponents bureaucrat purchase on turn 10 was probably a mistake but I think he might've been hoping to play something like bazaar/ bureaucrat/jester and hope to get more vps in a long game but my deck was better positioned to score large amounts of points in a long game. He probably should've tried to get a better duchy split than 2-6 because the 6 duchies really boosted my dukes. Any ideas that might've gave ambassador a better chance or any ideas on how I should've improved my play?(I didn't buy ambassador btw, it was passed to me) (Edit: changed name to sound less like an article)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:27:15 pm by chesskidnate »
Johnny psych profile- I want to prove the weak is strong and vice-versa... which means I build an engine with sticks and stones to watch it fail...

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Game where bureaucrat/silver beats amb/silver
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:26:46 pm »

This maes sense. The junk helped you, and the getting rid of cards hurt him in the end, because of the SR and made it easier for him to choke on green. Why did he only buy one Bazzar and two Jesters?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:31:05 pm by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:55:48 pm »

Is Amb worth it when SR on the board?  I usually think no because I don't mind the Estates...

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »
+1

The only real chance for ambassador to be good here would be to thin the deck for a torturer chain. The silk road player would have to hope to pile out the silkroads and estates and accept taking all the curses. The torturer player will probably need to pick up a couple silkroads for denial purposes and pick up 4-5  provinces before that happens. It's tough for me to say offhand which strategy is dominant, but it would promise to be an interesting game.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:43:45 am »

The only real chance for ambassador to be good here would be to thin the deck for a torturer chain. The silk road player would have to hope to pile out the silkroads and estates and accept taking all the curses. The torturer player will probably need to pick up a couple silkroads for denial purposes and pick up 4-5  provinces before that happens. It's tough for me to say offhand which strategy is dominant, but it would promise to be an interesting game.
I just don't see a Torturer chain as a plausable scenario. In order to win, the Torturer player needs to pick up SR, a good many Provinces, and do it fast. Because, if the SR player can empty the SR and Estates (which he is likely to do quite rapidly, despite the Torturers) then the game will be over before the Torturer player can pick up enough VP for a win. Also, if they start to pick up Torturers, you can pick up Ambassadors and send the Curses right back to them.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.