Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 274  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 348518 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #6550 on: February 25, 2024, 10:36:58 am »

Anyway complaining about bad luck in poker is for losers. This applies to me as well insofar as I do it here. At least I don't do it at the table.

If I pick it up again in a few weeks it should be just fine.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6551 on: February 25, 2024, 11:00:30 am »

Anyway complaining about bad luck in poker is for losers.

You know what's for winners? Joining MasN Hub!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: February 25, 2024, 01:59:18 pm »

One day

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: February 26, 2024, 02:50:49 pm »

Debate on the Middle East stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7IgSuADdMQ

I think I quite like Destiny! Oddly I never heard about him during his starcraft II days despite being super into sc2 when it was young, but what I heard him say about politics and even economics seems pretty good.

I grant that he probably didn't have the best opponent in this debate so I'm not saying this is a smack down

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: February 27, 2024, 07:10:33 am »

Another debate with a much stronger opponent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p1D1IqYflw

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: February 27, 2024, 10:07:02 am »

Destiny is obnoxious, but sometimes he can have good opinions. Not so sure that the Middle East situation is one such example.

Here is a video with a different perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xottY-7m3k

My mind isn't fully made up on this, but ultimately I don't find many of the pro-Israeli arguments super convincing.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: February 27, 2024, 12:22:18 pm »

Destiny is obnoxious

why? (I promise I won't turn this into a long discussion.)

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: February 28, 2024, 02:30:13 am »

Destiny is obnoxious

why? (I promise I won't turn this into a long discussion.)
Oh, I guess he just reminds me of a colleague I used to have who also had a like debate club background. He talks very quickly and with an extreme level of confidence that is unwarranted. This is partially just the nature of debate, but this kind of behaviour is also an element of toxic masculinity that drowns out less confident voices.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: February 28, 2024, 03:39:30 am »

Yeah I've actually just been watching a video where he discussed gender dynamics in his community with a colleague, and he said that his debating style is bound to overwhelmingly attract a male audience. Although he also mentioned that it got less extreme in the last couple of years.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: February 28, 2024, 03:56:51 am »

But like men are the demographic more likely to vote for ring wing nutjobs so arguably those are more important to reach rn

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: February 28, 2024, 04:29:04 am »

But like men are the demographic more likely to vote for ring wing nutjobs so arguably those are more important to reach rn
Yeah from what I hear Destiny does decent deradicalization work, so that's not bad. But it means it's not going to be my type of content.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: February 28, 2024, 05:31:57 am »

whelp I actually lost my sense of self. I'm sure it won't be permanent but now I finally know what it feels like

everything is constantly moving. There's almost no difference between a car driving by you and you walking past a parking car because in both cases the gestalt is moving in your world simulation. Objects are growing as you approach them and then shrinking again. Also the entire geometry is warped. It's easy to be impressed with the computational feat of it all when you experience it directly, rather than feeling like the world has an anchor

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: February 28, 2024, 05:34:55 am »

Others supposedly get there by "direct" experimentation with looking at an object and trying to figure out where you are in relation to it etc. This never did anything for me (which I can now say with certainty); for me it's only come on the back of several days of lots of meditation

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: February 28, 2024, 06:31:52 am »

yeah self is back now

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: February 28, 2024, 05:48:07 pm »

Ok I'm still bad at poker. That's good; less reason to be annoyed.

If you have AT in your hand against a MP raise with a reasonable range, you rather have the Flop AQ5 than AQT. This blow my mind, which shows that I still don't know sh*t. My estimate was that getting the T and hence the second pair would increase win chances by maybe 15-20%, but it decreases it by 6% compared to the 5.

Yeah I mean screw two pairs, who needs that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: February 28, 2024, 05:50:54 pm »

The entry-level or even medium poker resources tend to give you categories -- even somewhat granular categories -- but if you actually play around with concrete hands and probabilities, you see how just how inadequate they are. Those categories would say that 2 pair is a premium hand whereas top pair weak kicker is a marginal hand. And figuring out your win % is absolutely an important skill

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: February 29, 2024, 04:29:55 am »

Can you believe ETH has the audiacity to keep going up after I sold half of it?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6567 on: February 29, 2024, 06:55:56 am »

Why are you complaining about the value of something you own going up?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: February 29, 2024, 07:07:14 am »

Why are you complaining about the value of something you own going up?

Yeah it's a very sad fact about psychology that this is my genuine gut reaction

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: February 29, 2024, 04:37:26 pm »

So I do not believe that the justices of the supreme court are pro Trump because they like authoritarianism. But, I acknowledge that the model where they are has done a better job predicting outcomes so far. Not only do they seem likely to overrule the Colorado thing, but they also just caused an unnecessary delay in another Trump trial that will probably mean it'll get pushed past election day.

I don't get it. Pretty disappointing though.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: February 29, 2024, 04:39:29 pm »

It seems like we're not getting around a Trump Biden rematch unless Trump dies or declines cognitively a lot more than so far

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: March 01, 2024, 12:33:24 am »

If you have AT in your hand against a MP raise with a reasonable range, you rather have the Flop AQ5 than AQT. This blow my mind, which shows that I still don't know sh*t. My estimate was that getting the T and hence the second pair would increase win chances by maybe 15-20%, but it decreases it by 6% compared to the 5.

As someone who doesn't play poker at all and doesn't know what MP raise means, is this just because people are more likely to have a straight in the AQT scenario than to beat you with 2 pair or something in the AQ5 scenario? Does it depend on number of players?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: March 01, 2024, 02:54:03 am »

It seems like we're not getting around a Trump Biden rematch unless Trump dies or declines cognitively a lot more than so far
Hey, Biden could also die!

Isn't that reassuring...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: March 01, 2024, 03:00:31 am »

As someone who doesn't play poker at all and doesn't know what MP raise means, is this just because people are more likely to have a straight in the AQT scenario than to beat you with 2 pair or something in the AQ5 scenario? Does it depend on number of players?

So MP is middle position, and raise means that the people before them folded and then they raise, i.e., bet something like three big blinds. And this matters we assume that people use different hands to raise from different positions. In this case, we assume middle position raises all these hands (and folds the rest):

So all the probabilities are against a randomly sampled hand from that set. So it depends on the position of your opponent, the number of players only matters indirectly. (Of course if your opponent actually raises every hand, then position no longer matters and these are just the wrong probabilities.)

Now my main takeaway from the two pairs being so bad here is that the importance of a second pair varies widely depending on circumstances. To choose an extreme example, suppose we're against the same range and have 65. Then with the Flop A52, we have ~37% to win, whereas with A56, we have 78%, so the second pair is extremely important. And it makes sense; there are no 5s in the opponent's range, so with one pair of 55 we win if the opponent hit nothing but lose to every pair, whereas with two pairs, we beat every pair. So that's a big difference.

But in the case of AT and a Flop of AQ5, we already have the best possible pair, so we're already beating most pairs of the opponent. And of course two pairs also loses to trips and straight and flushes, so there just aren't a lot of extra hands we beat. Specifically, the second pair is really good against AK and AJ since those were hands that we don't beat otherwise. Everything else, we either already beat without the second pair, or still lose to with the second pair.

And then yeah the straight, which you wouldn't think is that likely, seems to be a bigger factor than those few extra hands we beat. If opponent has KK, KQ, KJ, QJ, or even TT or JJ, then the extra T is bad for us.  Conversely the 5 doesn't help your opponent at all, it's just a dead card, and we like dead cards since our hand is currently good.
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 274  All

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.