Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 201  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff  (Read 1171252 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff
« Reply #3400 on: May 31, 2014, 02:29:13 am »

wow i had no idea it was that popular
It's the internet. Even My Little Pony is popular  ;)

Hey, MLP is the shit. Well, except the recent seasons have been much more hit-or-miss.

I did a Nuzlocke run of Blue once. Somehow, I got an Abra as first encounter on the route right after Cerulean, and caught it. Decided to say screw it, power leveled it up to Kadabra, and used it + Blastoise to destroy everything.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3240
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: May 31, 2014, 10:32:02 am »

yea its pretty good  ::)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3402 on: May 31, 2014, 10:39:11 am »

I watched the first two episodes and it seemed pretty good, but not as good as its popularity would suggest. Does it get significantly better later?

There are some decent YTPs made of it, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: May 31, 2014, 10:46:30 am »

I watched the first two episodes and it seemed pretty good, but not as good as its popularity would suggest. Does it get significantly better later?

There are some decent YTPs made of it, though.

well, mlp is very inconsistent, because it has lots of different writers. the first two episodes, which are unfortunately the ones that almost every newcomer tries, aren't very good, and they are also sort of a false promise for the rest of the show, as most episodes are just slice of life without an over the top cheesy conflict.

if you want to try some of the more intelligent episodes i'd recommend  #4, #20 and maybe #13 of season 1. but there are pretty much great and awful episodes spread across all seasons.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:47:38 am by silverspawn »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: May 31, 2014, 12:34:46 pm »

Shockingly my four and three year old girls don't really distinguish between the good and bad episodes of MLP.

That said, having John De Lancie voicing Discord was pure genius.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3405 on: May 31, 2014, 12:47:16 pm »

Shockingly my four and three year old girls don't really distinguish between the good and bad episodes of MLP.
That's probably the reason why the bad episodes are there.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: May 31, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »

*highlights the people who should be watching Mlp*
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: May 31, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

if you do, or don't do, anything because stereotypes demand it, you already have my sympathies
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:33:05 pm by silverspawn »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: May 31, 2014, 01:56:15 pm »

it's impressive too how many older viewers don't manage to do just that

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: May 31, 2014, 01:56:43 pm »

if you do, or don't do, anything because stereotypes demand it, you already have my sympathies

If you do or do not watch things that are aimed at tiny young girls because 'the Internet' says it's cool to do so, then you have my sympathies

Yay for sweeping generalisations!

I just watched one as research, there's nothing there for adults, no decent plot, no violence, no romance story, so plot twists. And that's because it's for young children (I retract the girls part, I see no reasons why young boys can't watch it either)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: May 31, 2014, 01:58:14 pm »

But thanks for assuming that I make all my decisions based on stereotypes rather than actually making decisions myself, rather offensive statement that.

Do you take that stance with everyone that disagrees with you?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3411 on: May 31, 2014, 02:04:49 pm »

no decent plot, no violence, no romance story, so plot twists.
That sounds familiar.

The main target audience of this and a big number of other similar shows is actually adult males.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: May 31, 2014, 02:07:56 pm »

I'm not debating that people think it's fun.

Just that's it's aimed at prepubescent children.

If that's your sort of fun, I don't really have a problem with that at all, I really don't. I find it strange, but it's not wrong

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: May 31, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »

I did find this numerous quote though

"For example, she suggested that, through the character of Rainbow Dash, the show was promoting the stereotype that "all feminists are angry, tomboyish lesbians." She also considered that the only darker-colored ponies shown to date were in positions of servitude towards the "white pony overlord."

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: May 31, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »

you didn't just "disagree" with me. disagreeing with me would be saying "i think the show is bad because of XXX". what you said was "only little girls should watch mlp", which is dumb.

there's nothing there for adults, no decent plot, no violence, no romance story, so plot twists.
and that's wrong

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3415 on: May 31, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »

I'm not debating that people think it's fun.

Just that's it's aimed at prepubescent children.
Well, MLP is (or at least originally was, they must be aware of their older fans at this point) aimed at prepubescent children, I was just saying that the characteristics you listed also describe a lot of shows that aren't.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: May 31, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »

I've considered watching MLP before, having heard good things, but I'm pretty hesitant to do so at this point because of my knowledge of the toxic adult male fandom.  Yes, yes, not all bronies are bad people, but some really are.  I don't like that MLP is potentially an unsafe search term and the fetishization of ponies is just... ugh. 

But I have nothing against MLP itself, nor fans of the show in general, nor the idea of enjoying media that is primarily targeted to children.  I'm a huge fan of ATLA, which is also a children's program.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: May 31, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »

you didn't just "disagree" with me. disagreeing with me would be saying "i think the show is bad because of XXX". what you said was "only little girls should watch mlp", which is dumb.

there's nothing there for adults, no decent plot, no violence, no romance story, so plot twists.
and that's wrong

Ahh yes sorry my mistake i did say that, it was you disagreeing with me rather than the other way round.

Then you went on to insult my reasoning and character because I dared have a differing opinion to yours, rather than putting forward an objective case. Far easier to insult the man (especially when it's Ozle, easy target because I'm a bit of a goof) than  the statement I guess

And there was me thinking I was the one that was being closed minded and not allowing differing opinions.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: May 31, 2014, 03:06:36 pm »

I've considered watching MLP before, having heard good things, but I'm pretty hesitant to do so at this point because of my knowledge of the toxic adult male fandom.  Yes, yes, not all bronies are bad people, but some really are.  I don't like that MLP is potentially an unsafe search term and the fetishization of ponies is just... ugh. 

But I have nothing against MLP itself, nor fans of the show in general, nor the idea of enjoying media that is primarily targeted to children.  I'm a huge fan of ATLA, which is also a children's program.

Haha yes let's not forget the whole Mlp thing came about because of its ironic use by 4chan. (Or b3ta)

I don't mind people enjoying children's television, but it's target market and it's intellectual market is children, there's no denying that.

But as awacawaca said, fun is fun. And if that's what does it for, go for it!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: May 31, 2014, 03:12:01 pm »

it's called clop.

mh... i'm trying really hard to avoid it, but I don't think it's a bad thing. a very close friend of mine consumes it occasionally, and also uses it to... y'know, and I don't really see an objective reason why that's bad. i mean, you don't hurt anyone else, as long as you keep it private and put it in spoilers if you post it somehwere. and since I pretty much manage not to see any of it despite the huge amounts of it that are out there, I'd say people are doing a fine job.

it's also fair to mention that there is "fetishization" of everything that has a big enough fandom, not just mlp. simpsons and south park are two good examples.

Then you went on to insult my reasoning and character because I dared have a differing opinion to yours, rather than putting forward an objective case. Far easier to insult the man (especially when it's Ozle, easy target because I'm a bit of a goof) than  the statement I guess

you said something dumb; i told you that it's dumb. you also implied that I'm doing something that's wrong, and I responded by saying that if you think things are wrong because society says so, I pity you. I stand by both of that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:35:37 pm by silverspawn »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: May 31, 2014, 03:13:55 pm »

Haha yes let's not forget the whole Mlp thing came about because of its ironic use by 4chan. (Or b3ta)

well and that's wrong too. what do you want me to say?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: May 31, 2014, 03:18:42 pm »
+1

Just because something is primarily aimed at one group doesn't mean it doesn't also contain elements aimed at a second group or that those groups enjoy mutually exclusive things.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: May 31, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »

Could you recommend a couple seminal episodes to watch if I wanted to get into it, if not the beginning? I enjoy plenty of other cartoon shows but have never even seen an episode of MLP.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: May 31, 2014, 04:01:21 pm »
+1

Could you recommend a couple seminal episodes to watch if I wanted to get into it, if not the beginning? I enjoy plenty of other cartoon shows but have never even seen an episode of MLP.

i'd love to

S1 E04, E08, E23
S2 E23, E03
S4 E19

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3350
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: May 31, 2014, 04:06:11 pm »
+4

Today I went to the UK Games Expo and was recognised while wandering around by Qmech. Not by the fact my hoodie has a Dominion related quote and the name "Tables" on it, but by my face, which was posted in that thread a while back. I was pretty impressed.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 201  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.