Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lighthouse and duration attacks  (Read 194 times)

Yitzi

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Lighthouse and duration attacks
« on: May 08, 2024, 09:26:12 pm »

Here's the scenario:
I play Lighthouse.
On the next turn, my opponent (for simplicity, it's a 2p game) plays Corsair.
On my next turn, I play an Outpost, so I get another turn.

Question 1: Do I ignore the Corsair on my first turn after it's played, even though the Lighthouse has "expired"?  Answer seems to me to be a pretty clear yes; it's official (even on the wiki page for Lighthouse) that the Lighthouse needs to be in play when the attack card is played in order to be effect, and this would just be the flip side of that.
Question 2: Do I ignore the Corsair on my second turn after it's played?  Still seems like a pretty clear yes, by the same token.
Question 3, and this is where it gets interesting: When do I discard the Lighthouse from play?  Does protecting me from the Corsair count as "something to do" on the second turn after the Corsair is played, causing the Lighthouse (as a Duration card) to stay in play, or has it already "done" everything when the Corsair was played, meaning that it's discarded at the end of the turn it gives the second coin (i.e. the first turn after the Corsair is played)?

Tiago

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: tserridge
  • Respect: +157
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse and duration attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 09:52:22 pm »

Here's the scenario:
I play Lighthouse.
On the next turn, my opponent (for simplicity, it's a 2p game) plays Corsair.
On my next turn, I play an Outpost, so I get another turn.

Question 1: Do I ignore the Corsair on my first turn after it's played, even though the Lighthouse has "expired"?  Answer seems to me to be a pretty clear yes; it's official (even on the wiki page for Lighthouse) that the Lighthouse needs to be in play when the attack card is played in order to be effect, and this would just be the flip side of that.
Question 2: Do I ignore the Corsair on my second turn after it's played?  Still seems like a pretty clear yes, by the same token.
Question 3, and this is where it gets interesting: When do I discard the Lighthouse from play?  Does protecting me from the Corsair count as "something to do" on the second turn after the Corsair is played, causing the Lighthouse (as a Duration card) to stay in play, or has it already "done" everything when the Corsair was played, meaning that it's discarded at the end of the turn it gives the second coin (i.e. the first turn after the Corsair is played)?
1 - yes
2 - yes
3 - discard it from play on your first turn. The Lighthouse blocks the Corsair when the Corsair is played.

Edit: and if you didn't play a Lighthouse, you're affected on both turns.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:57:29 pm by Tiago »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1643
    • View Profile
Re: Lighthouse and duration attacks
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 04:04:23 pm »

Yes, the Lighthouse protects you until the start of your next turn, not longer. But the protection applies right at the moment an Attack card is played. Since Lighthouse protected you when Corsair was played, Corsair doesn't affect you. If your opponent somehow played an Attack during your next turn or your Outpost turn (a Black Cat, let's say), the Lighthouse would not protect you from that.

The above is about 2nd-edition Lighthouse.

With 1st-edition Lighthouse ("while this is in play"), you're protected during your next turn too. You would not be protected if your opponent played a Black Cat during your Outpost turn.

Edit: 2nd-edition Lighthouse doesn't protect you during your next turn.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 11:30:06 pm by Jeebus »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.