Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Opening Adventurer  (Read 1399 times)

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
Opening Adventurer
« on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:17 am »

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Fool's Gold, Moat, Alchemist, Familiar, Quarry, Baker, Merchant Ship, Adventurer, Harem

SO I open adventurer on a baker board and actually win this game.  There was no plus buy or gaining so 1 Province per turn was all you were getting.  My question is, did I get lucky?  Did KingZog3 play sub par like he said in the chat?  Or was this the best strategy?!?!  I was confident enough to try it out in a League Game but still want to know if I am way off base here....

LOG
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140619/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1403232140061.txt  -(log viewer wasn't working for me)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Adventurer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:25:30 am »

You want to open Baker/Chapel regardless of your strategy. I don't like opening Adventurer, but the best way to counter it is to first get a really trim deck and only then go for Familiars, so that you give your opponent all Curses in 4 turns (ideally 2-3-3-2, i.e. I wouldn't play the first Familiar if I don't have to). Merchant Ship doesn't fit in with this strategy, and if you go for an early Potion, as KingZog did, you should get Alchemists until you're at the point where you draw your deck each turn.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:07 am »

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Fool's Gold, Moat, Alchemist, Familiar, Quarry, Baker, Merchant Ship, Adventurer, Harem

SO I open adventurer on a baker board and actually win this game.  There was no plus buy or gaining so 1 Province per turn was all you were getting.  My question is, did I get lucky?  Did KingZog3 play sub par like he said in the chat?  Or was this the best strategy?!?!  I was confident enough to try it out in a League Game but still want to know if I am way off base here....

LOG
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140619/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1403232140061.txt  -(log viewer wasn't working for me)

What is optimal depends when you buy it, as first player its ok. Here a big thing is fools gold so I expected that you spend next five turns buying fools gold. King made mistake of not buying fools gold which allowed you buy chapel and not lose fools gold split which is excellent. Familliar on third shuffle is sorta ignorable unless you open potion/chapel with plan of trashing everything and give two curses per turn.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:41:50 pm »

Yeah I really played this poorly. Halfway through I of course realized Fool's Gold was the right way to go, but my Heathstone adventures have hurt my Dominion skills.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:10:34 pm »

Yeah I really played this poorly. Halfway through I of course realized Fool's Gold was the right way to go, but my Heathstone adventures have hurt my Dominion skills.
You and me both.

Here, I imagine Adventurer FG is not that great until you get rid of the your Copper. Chapel does that for you. But then, if you get Chapel you might as well go for a really trim deck, say with Bakers. Going for potion cards is tricky because there is no +buy, but I think Familiar can be worth getting once you have a from deck. You only need 3 Familiars to bring on the pain really fast, and Chapel is less effective at finding all the junk with good draw from Alchemist. It also eats up the terminal slot that you'd rather use for other stuff (well, Merchant Ship probably in this case).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.