Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49  All

Author Topic: Mafia XVIII: Major Arcana Mafia II (Werewolves win!)  (Read 110044 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XVIII: Major Arcana Mafia II (Day 3! Deadline 1/10/13, 7 PM forum time)
« Reply #1175 on: January 21, 2013, 11:41:12 pm »

Quite frankly this is ridiculous.

Town was RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, only miss lynched once, AND we still lost? There is no way in hell this game should count for stats.

This and Blitz2!

RE Blitz2, maybe don't bus your partner so hard day 1 ;)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XVIII: Major Arcana Mafia II (Day 3! Deadline 1/10/13, 7 PM forum time)
« Reply #1176 on: January 21, 2013, 11:41:25 pm »

Town was RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, only miss lynched once, AND we still lost? There is no way in hell this game should count for stats.

This and Blitz2!

Oh and shoot obvcops
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: January 21, 2013, 11:41:56 pm »

This and Blitz2!

Oh and shoot obvcops

I was committed to the random voting! Committed, I say!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: January 21, 2013, 11:42:07 pm »

So does anybody know what Moonsickness is?  Eevee?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: January 21, 2013, 11:44:31 pm »

In the Mod QT it talked about it. Something about making moonsicked players PGOs...?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: January 21, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »

It's in the modchat QT. Anybody with moonsickness goes into a frenzy the night after the moon dies and kills their targets rather than performing their normal night action.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: January 22, 2013, 12:28:28 am »

Town had some powers that they squandered though, vig wasted his shot on town, strong MA killed by town night 1, day vig shoots a bulletproof player, not really near perfect play, good play, but not near perfect.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: January 22, 2013, 12:29:34 am »

MA outing himself day 1 for a 1 of 3 scum wasn't great play either.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: January 22, 2013, 12:34:17 am »

Town had some powers that they squandered though, vig wasted his shot on town, strong MA killed by town night 1, day vig shoots a bulletproof player, not really near perfect play, good play, but not near perfect.

But the town should not need powers to compensate for bad lynches if the lynches themselves were pretty good, as they were here.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35:20 am »

A thought I had: imagine if WWs/SK had've hit Town N1 as well: 4/3/3/1, nearly twice as many scum as Town.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: January 22, 2013, 12:37:35 am »

But the town should not need powers to compensate for bad lynches if the lynches themselves were pretty good, as they were here.

Good lynches, plus a roleblocker who blocked kills two nights in a row.  I see town's point.  But hey, I won, so who cares?  :)

Seriously though, balance is hard when it's all up to chance.  Chips fell where they would.  Some "unlucky" (I won't say bad) town calls on D1 and N1 really shot town in the foot, though.  Robz's failed vig and Galz's shot on town/MA were two big ones.

I do wonder if Galz is right that he'd be the D2 lynch for sure if he kills scum!Eevee.  I'm not sure of that.  The man is wily.

Also, LOL @galz pointing out how scummy I seem at mylo/lylo no matter what I do in the speccy.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: January 22, 2013, 12:38:50 am »

A thought I had: imagine if WWs/SK had've hit Town N1 as well: 4/3/3/1, nearly twice as many scum as Town.

Imagine mafia shot Lekkit on N1.  WW down to two, Eevee dead on D2, plus we lose our vig.  Then we'd be looking really underpowered.

Balance is an issue, but who does what with the powers out there matter, too.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: January 22, 2013, 12:42:21 am »

Imagine mafia shot Lekkit on N1.  WW down to two, Eevee dead on D2, plus we lose our vig.  Then we'd be looking really underpowered.

Balance is an issue, but who does what with the powers out there matter, too.

I was thinking from a Town perspective. Town has no control over scum kills, and could have been at that point after just one mislynch.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: January 22, 2013, 12:53:03 am »

Town actually got lucky that more nightkills didn't go against them, and our lynches were pretty good. And we roleblocked some scum kills! .... and had no chance in the end game.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:46 am »

Town actually got lucky that more nightkills didn't go against them, and our lynches were pretty good. And we roleblocked some scum kills! .... and had no chance in the end game.
I think we may have had a chance if I hadn't been Dayvigged by Lekkit. That was excellent play on his part and really sealed the deal for his team.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: January 22, 2013, 01:40:58 am »

MA outing himself day 1 for a 1 of 3 scum wasn't great play either.

I think my play was fine. AND yuma doctored me.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:43 am »

And regardless are you actually saying that this game was balanced.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:32 am »

I think the game was swingy but balanced for what it was.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: January 22, 2013, 01:49:07 am »

I disagree vehemently. I think the town loses here maybe 9 times out of 10.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:07 am »

From your point of view, is the problem the deck, and that any randomly chosen setup (based on drawing from the deck and then assigning 2 MA) will be unbalanced in favor of scum? Or was this setup just randomly more difficult for town than average? Because cayvie just drew from the deck and then assigned MA. (Based on what roles had already been drawn, I believe she picked the correct factions for MA.)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: January 22, 2013, 02:03:05 am »

From your point of view, is the problem the deck, and that any randomly chosen setup (based on drawing from the deck and then assigning 2 MA) will be unbalanced in favor of scum? Or was this setup just randomly more difficult for town than average? Because cayvie just drew from the deck and then assigned MA. (Based on what roles had already been drawn, I believe she picked the correct factions for MA.)

The problem is very clear: the ratio of scum to town is way, way, way off. There are 7 scum in 16 players. For reference, M-XI had 7 scum in 26 players.

Then, add in the fact that several of the town were super powered and several of the scum were super powered.

So the outcome was always going to be swingy--because of the powers--but the baseline game was hugely imbalanced to begin with.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: January 22, 2013, 02:15:46 am »

7 scum in 16 players is just far too much regardless of the powers.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:00 am »

Wiie!

Also, ashersky, I think I need to explain myself to you. I didn't really think I could've avoided a lynch. And that's why I outed myself as well as "framing" you. By doing so I basically told Axxle not to kill you. I don't think he would've done that either way, since he needed another WW to be able to win. And 3+3+1 scum can't really be true, right? Especially if you no-killed. I thought Axxle had to kill to be able to win, since there was a possibility he was the last scum. If you no-killed (which you realised you had to do) it would basically be pretty much confirmed scum or possibly scum to lynch the next day. At that point lynching you would be pretty stupid. But you would most likely survive the night.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:28 am »

And while I agree the game wasn't really balanced, I really enjoyed it.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:20 am »

Wiie!

Also, ashersky, I think I need to explain myself to you. I didn't really think I could've avoided a lynch. And that's why I outed myself as well as "framing" you. By doing so I basically told Axxle not to kill you. I don't think he would've done that either way, since he needed another WW to be able to win. And 3+3+1 scum can't really be true, right? Especially if you no-killed. I thought Axxle had to kill to be able to win, since there was a possibility he was the last scum. If you no-killed (which you realised you had to do) it would basically be pretty much confirmed scum or possibly scum to lynch the next day. At that point lynching you would be pretty stupid. But you would most likely survive the night.

Sorry I blew up at you.  In the end it worked out anyway.  I see your point there, on keeping Axxle from killing me.  I can't see how he would, since he needed an alternate lynch, though.

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.