Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Funniest conversation about Dominion  (Read 3924 times)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Funniest conversation about Dominion
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:04 am »

So, my friend and I were talking about dominion, and the luck involved and the differences in preselected kingdoms versus pure random... as he said, "lol false who ever chooses the cards isn't at an advantage."  Then we decided to play, and he had a board set up to optimize KC-Possession (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/17/game-20121017-211834-96641cc0.html) and I beat him.  Then he said that it was all luck and if I chose a kingdom he would beat me.  So being the devious man I am, I chose Paralyzed board (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201210/17/game-20121017-215219-c21fc9e0.html).  Because it was clear to me the last turn I could pin him forever, I decided to be nice and simply end the game on piles and not just masq-pin him and watch him play out a 0 card hand forever.

Then we continue our discussion.  First game he claimed it wasn't fair because "not wen ur being oudrew".  Second game he claimed I had ridiculous luck in drawing KC with Lab, and if we were to play again "ill win cuz there is never an optimal strategy in most kingdoms".  And then he said because the final score was close, "let me lead and ill win by 100 u won by 10 lol".

This has provided me with entertainment for a whole evening  :D
A man on a mission.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Funniest conversation about Dominion
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 05:03:34 am »

I always felt that this system should be applied to those Judges who ruled that Poker is a game of Luck rather than skill.

Pit said judge against a table full of pro's and play lots of games, see how that luck pans out for them
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25716
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 05:09:12 am »
+1

I always felt that this system should be applied to those Judges who ruled that Poker is a game of Luck rather than skill.

Pit said judge against a table full of pro's and play lots of games, see how that luck pans out for them
There is no dichotomy there. Poker is high luck high skill (and so is Dominion).

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:39:37 am »

Followers over trusty steed is a pretty stupid buy with both wharf and steward on board. you get no advantage from the discard and almost none from the curse

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »

Putting aside the fact that your "friend" got exactly what he deserved, is KC/Possession really the dominate strategy on the first board?

I haven't done the simulations but the monument/vineyard approach seems like a good counter. Open Monument/Potion and alternate between farming village and monument. Pick up a second potion around turn 4 and buy a vineyard every time you have < P$6 and a possession when you have >P$6. Try to end the game on 3 piles. Switch out to standard KC/Possession if you see your opponent open with Tournament/Silver as that seems like it would send the game on provinces because you could end it on piles.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:47 pm »
+8

Open Monument/Potion

Good luck with that

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:26:33 pm »

Putting aside the fact that your "friend" got exactly what he deserved, is KC/Possession really the dominate strategy on the first board?

I haven't done the simulations but the monument/vineyard approach seems like a good counter. Open Monument/Potion and alternate between farming village and monument. Pick up a second potion around turn 4 and buy a vineyard every time you have < P$6 and a possession when you have >P$6. Try to end the game on 3 piles. Switch out to standard KC/Possession if you see your opponent open with Tournament/Silver as that seems like it would send the game on provinces because you could end it on piles.

I was tempted to go with that, but I didn't think it would quite have enough steam to win.
A man on a mission.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:34:59 pm »

Surely if we want KC/Possession to be dominant, we can do better than that kingdom. At the very least, throw in a governor or council room. And get rid of monument. VP chips are not conducive to possession.

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 10:41:14 pm »

Surely if we want KC/Possession to be dominant, we can do better than that kingdom. At the very least, throw in a governor or council room. And get rid of monument. VP chips are not conducive to possession.

I never did say my friend was that good at picking kingdoms to exploit a strategy.
A man on a mission.

Kore

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 02:55:25 pm »

Open Monument/Potion

Good luck with that

Doh, a 4/4 opening would make things a lot easier. Monument/Silver is probably a better opening anyway. You don't want to buy the vineyards that early if you go that route and there's no reason to buy a potion for possession when you can't get $6 + P anyway.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.