Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Help Me Improve My Game  (Read 23678 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Improve My Game
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2014, 12:32:21 pm »

For Prosperity:  Colonies add a total of 80 VP Points to the game.  In a two-player game with solely Provinces there are 84 total points.  The presence of Colonies almost doubles the amount of points available.  This gives more credence to engines that take longer to build up but that have a greater payload later in the game.

Good tip, thank you.  So basically that means engines that take longer are more viable when colonies are out on the board?

Yeah. Also some of the Prosperity cards can get a little crazy, like King's Court and Goons specifically.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

For Prosperity:  Colonies add a total of 80 VP Points to the game.  In a two-player game with solely Provinces there are 84 total points.  The presence of Colonies almost doubles the amount of points available.  This gives more credence to engines that take longer to build up but that have a greater payload later in the game.

Good tip, thank you.  So basically that means engines that take longer are more viable when colonies are out on the board?

Yeah. Also some of the Prosperity cards can get a little crazy, like King's Court and Goons specifically.

Ha, I saw Kings Court.  It's Throne Room x3 lol.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2014, 01:29:29 pm »
+2

Ha, I saw Kings Court.  It's Throne Room x3 lol.

yeah :P but it's way more than x3 the fun.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2014, 05:10:28 pm »

the big difference between KC and TR is that if chaining throne rooms isn't a big deal.  tr-tr-tr-market-market-market isn't much better than tr-market x 3 (all you get is extra actions).  However, KC-KC-X enables you to play 3 tripled actions (as opposed to the two if you played the KC's separately) with additional KC's in the chain adding 2 tripled actions each.  This leads to insanity  :-*

You can do wacky things like having deck engine consisting solely of KC, terminal actions, and VP, provided some of your terminal actions provide draw and others provide money.  e.g. KC-KC-smithy-KC-Mountebank-etc-etc. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 05:25:45 pm »

That just sounds insane lol.

Would anyone be up for a few practice games using the expansions I have sometime?

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

sure.  meet in outpost?
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:22 pm »

sure.  meet in outpost?

Ha yeah I'll hang out there from now on. Sorry if that post wasn't clear lol. I work full time and have little time to play. I travel for business Monday though. Wifi should be good enough for me to get on. That's where I'll be though. I may have time tomorrow or Saturday though. Depends on when the gf goes out lol

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:23 am »

Decided to play a match against the bots real quick. Didn't finish but it had some alchemy cards in it. I must say I actually enjoy the mechanics of Alchemy.  I heard that it wasn't well received. Why is that?

And on that note...how do you know how many potions to buy?  Lol. I was trying to balance that with treasure and kingdom cards and it was hard!

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:20 am »
+1

Decided to play a match against the bots real quick. Didn't finish but it had some alchemy cards in it. I must say I actually enjoy the mechanics of Alchemy.  I heard that it wasn't well received. Why is that?
A lot of people hate Possession. Some don't like the concept of potion as second currency. But I love Alchemy and I'm sure I'm not alone.

And on that note...how do you know how many potions to buy?  Lol. I was trying to balance that with treasure and kingdom cards and it was hard!
Usually only one. Two for Alchemists when there is no trashing. And 2 to 4 when you are trying to win the Vineyards split.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 08:34:24 am »

A lot of people hate Possession. Some don't like the concept of potion as second currency. But I love Alchemy and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Usually only one. Two for Alchemists when there is no trashing. And 2 to 4 when you are trying to win the Vineyards split.

Makes sense.  I think thats how many the bot got.  There was trashing with Steward though, so how many would be optimal then?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:40 am »

Generally you only get more than one Potion for Alchemists and Vineyards.

If there were Alchemists and trashing, one would suffice.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:23 am »

Makes sense.  I think thats how many the bot got.  There was trashing with Steward though, so how many would be optimal then?
Depends on the Kingdom. What was in it?

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:19 am »

Depends on the Kingdom. What was in it?

Let me think.  Alchemist, Secret Chamber, Vineyard (I think), another Treasure kingdom card, and uhhhh I can't remember the rest xD

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:20 am »

Whatever you do, don't pay attention to how many Potions the AI buys.  Sometimes it will buy 5 or 6 of them for seemingly no reason.  You probably want at MOST three, and that's only for Vineyards pretty much.  In 90% of cases where you want Potions, one Potion is fine. Oftentimes you can ignore Potion cards too. It all depends on what's in the kingdom.

As for why people dislike Alchemy, I think a lot of it's because IRL several of the cards are obnoxious to play (Golem, Philosopher's Stone, Possession...) for various reasons, and adding Potion costs to things complicates how some cards work unnecessarily.  Personally, Alchemy is one of my favorite expansions, though.  It and Guilds are the most 'out there.'
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:48:46 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:23 am »

Whatever you do, don't pay attention to how many Potions the AI buys.  Sometimes it will buy 5 or 6 of them for seemingly no reason.  You probably want at MOST three, and that's only for Vineyards pretty much.  In 90% of cases where you want Potions, one Potion is fine. Oftentimes you can ignore Potion cards too. It all depends on what's in the kingdom.

These were pretty good potion cards.  I mean Alchemist's action is ridiculous.  Hard to ignore that.  I remember Bridge was in the set too...can't remember what else.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:23 am »

These were pretty good potion cards.  I mean Alchemist's action is ridiculous.  Hard to ignore that.  I remember Bridge was in the set too...can't remember what else.

Well, even if they are good Potion cards, usually just one will buy you what you need, though there are certainly exceptions.  Yeah, Alchemist is one of those cards that just seems crazy good when you first play with it.  You'll come to realize it has its weaknesses, but building a deck that uses an Alchemist stack is always fun.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:13 am »

Well, even if they are good Potion cards, usually just one will buy you what you need, though there are certainly exceptions.  Yeah, Alchemist is one of those cards that just seems crazy good when you first play with it.  You'll come to realize it has its weaknesses, but building a deck that uses an Alchemist stack is always fun.

I'll try just one next time.  There were too many new cards I hadn't played with yet in this one bot match and I couldn't take the time to check them all out, lol.  Was gonna try Alchemist/Bridge haha

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2014, 06:46:34 pm »

People are talking about getting more than one potion for alchemist. Usually you only want one even with alchemist, even without trashing (though usually you don't want alchemist at all).

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2014, 06:54:48 pm »

People are talking about getting more than one potion for alchemist. Usually you only want one even with alchemist, even without trashing (though usually you don't want alchemist at all).

I found it to be one of the better villages (right term) on the board and I wanted to try out it's mechanics lol

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4389
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

I found it to be one of the better villages (right term) on the board and I wanted to try out it's mechanics lol
Alchemist isn't a village - villages give +2 actions. Alchemist gives only one.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:39 pm »

I think the term you want is "non-terminal" (meaning it gives at least +1 action).  "Village" implies +2 or more actions.

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »

I think the term you want is "non-terminal" (meaning it gives at least +1 action).  "Village" implies +2 or more actions.

Yes that's the one lol

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:53 pm »

If Alchemists are worth going for at all, you usually want a 2nd Potion pretty soon (2nd/3rd $4, depending on other cards), and consider trashing it only once you can reliably draw your deck each turn and there are no other uses for it. With two Potions you not only amass Alchemists quicker, but you also play them more often, which really speeds up deck-building and gives you a sizable advantage in the mirror.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2014, 12:11:04 pm »

I wouldn't lay down a rule for the number of potions. The ideal situation has the alchemists drawing the whole deck so you only need one potion, but if you're in a messier situation or using other potion cost cards as well then two potions can be better.

Alchemists are a slightly slow card to get going in many decks. This seems fine to many players since the engines they make can be slow to develop anyway, however better players can often find faster strategies without alchemists.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:13:55 pm by DG »

WNxTyr4el

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »

I wouldn't lay down a rule for the number of potions. The ideal situation has the alchemists drawing the whole deck so you only need one potion, but if you're in a messier situation or using other potion cost cards as well then two potions can be better.

Alchemists are a slightly slow card to get going in many decks. This seems fine to many players since the engines they make can be slow to develop anyway, however better players can often find faster strategies without alchemists.

That's fair enough :P.  Lol SCSN, I was in Outpost trying to get a game with you but you were with WanderingWinder.  Anyway, here's an adventure match I played with Hinterlands cards and I REALLY liked the setup.  I know it's not much to make myself better but I like playing adventures to get used to the cards.  I can take time to read them and not piss off the other player cuz it's just a stupid computer :P

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20140118/log.516f1b58e4b082c74d7dd36d.1390066362564.txt
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 18 queries.