Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: request - possession  (Read 4331 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1858
    • View Profile
request - possession
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »

can someone say something smart about possession that I haven't heard before, even if it's wrong? I feel that I've read all the conventional wisdom on the card and still don't understand it at all.
to wit, I think I understand:

1. it can be a trap.

2. the card interactions as described on this article, which is now missing a couple expansions. (i don't think there's a cornucopia or hinterlands card that has a substantially new kind of interaction with possession from an old card, although once someone won a prize i deserved while possessing me and that made me sad.)
http://dominionstrategy.com/2010/12/03/alchemy-possession/

3. broadly, possessees have to worry about trash-for-benefit and "make the card leave the deck without trashing" (island + ambassador + masq) and possessees benefit from attacks, gain-to-the-hand-cards, alternate vp chips, and bad decks (but...).

i still have no idea what to do on over 50% of possession boards. usually i follow #1 and "ignore it," but this isn't always right.

paddyodoors

Re: request - possession
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

can someone say something smart about possession that I haven't heard before, even if it's wrong?

>smart
>wrong

gotta pick one, man  ;D

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10774
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »

One thing that I haven't heard people say is that one great counter to Possession is... Possession. Possession, like some attack cards, are good to have in hand for yourself, but become as good as dead cards while you are possessed.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 04:50:59 pm »

Possessed possession isn't totally dead, if you draw five green cards you can play your opponent's Possession to cycle.

NV is weak against Possession.

Explorer and Mint are boss against Possession. 

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:54:37 pm »

Explorer and Mint are boss against Possession.

Do you mean Mine?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:53:53 am »

Explorer I can see as it would gum up the Possessor.  I'm not so sure about Mine or Mint, as gaining the improved Treasure could be useful for them (even though Mine hurts the Possessed hand).

glennC

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08:49 am »

-Treasury and Alchemist aren't as good if the opponent might possess you.  (They don't have to leave those cards on top.)  The same goes for walled village and scheme.

-Possession lets you use the opponent's engine deck.  So sometimes you don't want to build engine decks if the opponent can go for possession.  On the other hand, an engine deck that does king's court on a possession can be powerful.

-A good defense against possession is to go for a big money-style deck and try to pick up half the victory points.  At 6P, your opponent could have bought a province instead of possession.  When they buy it, that possession only gains more than a province after 2 uses (e.g. after 2 reshuffles).  This may be too slow if there is a strong big money strategy available.
A side effect of rushing VP is that your deck isn't so great when it gets possessed.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:30:20 pm »

I meant Mine.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +943
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:11:37 pm »

One interesting observation about Possession is it's a virtual +Buy.  I played a game recently where there were no gainers and no source of traditional +Buy.  I lost, seemingly because I skipped Possession when my opponent didn't.  He never got lucrative Possession turns, but an extra Silver every now and again pushed him over the top.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »

As a general rule in possession games with no attacks/alternate vp the worst deck wins. Build up to possession and then trash everything else. I've had games where my opponent played 3 possessions in a row and couldn't get more than estate from my deck, where my one possession on his kept getting me duchy.

glennC

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »

Now that I've played possession slightly more... possession games can get really degenerate.  There is an incentive to VP rush if you yourself have possession in your deck.  It waters down your deck so your opponent's possessions are less effective.  And secondly, greening your deck is ok since you can possess your opponent's deck.  Your own deck doesn't need to be any good.
This can lead to some really long games....  :/

2- Getting cards like King's court and golem aren't terrible if you have lots of terminals which aren't any good when you are possessed (e.g. possession, bishop, monument to a smaller degree, etc.).

3- If possessing the other guy, you might actually want to play his possession if your own hand is terrible???
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.