Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 70  All

Author Topic: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Game Over, Mafia Wins!)  (Read 171620 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XXXV: Mafia and the Chocolate Factory (Day1)
« Reply #225 on: November 25, 2013, 10:15:13 am »

My Personal Mafia PR PR  (Power Role Power Ranking).

1. JOAT (1 shot Strongman, 1 shot Ninja) - Extra NK.  yes please.
2. Daytalk (passive ability) - Can be very useful in developing strategies during the day.
3. Recruit Traitor as Mafia Goon - Useful for several reasons.  Don't want to mistakenly kill your buddy, day or night.
4. Role Cop - Could be useful, but not as much as the others
5. Bulletproof - one town PR can possibly kill you, and why risk taking a PR that could end up useless if town doesn't even get the Vigilante?

How many of those would you pick as mafia?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 25, 2013, 10:16:40 am »

Actually changing my answer a bit, just more likely to pick a pr now then before, the ic sucks in this setup(no offense Faust) I believe most of an Ic's power has nothing to do with who roles it and what they do, it all has to do with the setup which does not favor an ic here. So now there really aren't many good powers.

Yes, I agree. No watching, no doctor... it's likely that I'll be dead tomorrow, no additional information gained.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2013, 10:19:07 am »

My Personal Mafia PR PR  (Power Role Power Ranking).

1. JOAT (1 shot Strongman, 1 shot Ninja) - Extra NK.  yes please.
2. Daytalk (passive ability) - Can be very useful in developing strategies during the day.
3. Recruit Traitor as Mafia Goon - Useful for several reasons.  Don't want to mistakenly kill your buddy, day or night.
4. Role Cop - Could be useful, but not as much as the others
5. Bulletproof - one town PR can possibly kill you, and why risk taking a PR that could end up useless if town doesn't even get the Vigilante?

How many of those would you pick as mafia?
I would definitely go for Daytalk and Recruiting, waiting to get the result back about JOAT but I think you all are right.  So that really drops JOAT down to #4.  In which case I am also doing Role Cop.  I am not scared of the town PRs as mafia.  And besides, lots of PRs make a more interesting game.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2013, 10:20:47 am »

My Personal Mafia PR PR 2.0

1. Daytalk (passive ability) - Can be very useful in developing strategies during the day.
2. Recruit Traitor as Mafia Goon - Useful for several reasons.  Don't want to mistakenly kill your buddy, day or night.
3. Role Cop - Could be useful, but not as much as the others
4. JOAT (1 shot Strongman, 1 shot Ninja) - extra powered NK? who needs that against the town PRs available
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 25, 2013, 10:45:59 am »

Happy no longer weekend, everyone! And a Merry Doctor Who to you all.

In fact vote: Robz. Even disregarding all this IC quasi-joking, from what I've seen scum!Robz is active and vibrant, while his town self is notoriously aloof. Despite the fact that he's been V/LA he's been one of the most frequent posters so far. Normally this would be a good thing. But for Robz it raises warning flags.

Lies. All lies.

You say this, yet it is true. But last time you said this as town. So it's just a giant bowl of Robz!WIFOM soup.

"Didn't read the setup Robz" is also town!robz.  He knows this and could try to fake it, but I don't think he is.

Remember, "claim the wrong pr and get lynched on D1 as town anyway" is also a Robz that exists.  Other vets will back me up here, I think.

Scum!robz isn't this easy.

This is wrong because this:

You know what this reminds me of ? It reminds of mail-mi in GoT, where he got away with a super scummy voting history because "oh, he's just mail-mi". People are aware of what their meta are, they can play around with that. I'm fine with my vote for now.

I like that we had two quick wagons though. I want to re-read them more closely. At the moment though I'm not getting anything but null about Robz himself.

As far as mafia powers go, I'd say Daychat for sure, and then honestly it would depend on who my partner is for if we wanted to take any more. I've never actually played as scum without Daychat yet (just WWTWDP).

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 25, 2013, 10:58:23 am »

Now that most reservations regarding my question seem to be cleared, let me ask once again:

In your next post, please name the set of powers you would have picked as mafia.

If you don't know what this is for, well trust me on this. It won't hurt town at least. And contrary to ashersky, I actually have a plan.

You actually stole my plan.

Why didn't you say what your plan was right off the bat? Why wait until finding out what the IC is thinking?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:38 am »

I'm on board. We just don't get along!

Vote: Voltaire

I'm going to be really and truly VLA until Sunday afternoon.

I've seen this Robz before. This is scum Robz.

Vote: Robz

Was this a serious statement?

Also unvote and vote: Morgrim. Morgrim do you still hammer everyone at L-1? If so reminder to everyone that L-1 is as good as L in this game.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:48 am »

Okay so to answer the pr question thingy, for me it would depend on the scum team I was with. If I was with a team I thought could win I would chose no additional powers, if I was with a team I thought was very strategic but not so good at mid day communication I would pick day talk, and if I was with a team I though was really going to need help I would pick recruit.

Which partners would go with which scenarios?

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 25, 2013, 11:35:11 am »

I have some research(mafia related) to do when I get back from class and will post thoughts about it.

Why the morgrim vote Voltaire?
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 25, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

I'm on board. We just don't get along!

Vote: Voltaire

I'm going to be really and truly VLA until Sunday afternoon.

I've seen this Robz before. This is scum Robz.

Vote: Robz

Was this a serious statement?

Nope.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 25, 2013, 11:38:00 am »

Think about whether this is actually a good idea or not. I think in the past pick your poison setups, we determined it was not. It helps the Mafia determine who has which PR.

I haven't read any past games with a similar set-up to this one, but I think Robz makes a good point. Since there's not a way to get that info to the IC privately and let him interpret it without everyone knowing, it seems like it would give way too much information to the mafia.

So, Robz, is manda an IC too?

This may actually be slight townpoints for manda. None for Robz because Robz, but the line of thinking is not a bad one.

Why the morgrim vote Voltaire?

Because he hasn't posted yet.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2013, 11:54:17 am »

Current power picking statements:

Voltaire - Daychat (+ X)
Walrus - ?
Robz - (Daychat)
Jimmmm - Role Cop (+ Recruit)
ashersky - None or 3 (not specified which)
faust - TBA
Jorbles - Daychat, JOAT
manda - ?
Teproc - Role Cop, JOAT
morgrim - ?
2.7 - Daychat, Recruit, Role Cop
mcmcsalot - (Daychat + Recruit)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:41 pm »

Discrediting the IC! This is Voltaire's fullproof way of finding scum.

What a laughably easy Day 1. Vote: Jimm

I like it! vote: jimm

What about this? Was this vote serious?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2013, 12:11:12 pm »

Post count (no pre-game)
20 Jimmmmm
17 ashersky
16 faust
10 Robz
8 Teproc
7 Voltaire
5 Jorbles
5 2.7...
4 mcmc
2 Walrus
2 manda
0 Morgrim

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2013, 12:12:23 pm »

ashersky - None or 3 (not specified which)

ash said daychat was the "coolest," so I assume that would be part of his three.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2013, 12:33:35 pm »

I like that we had two quick wagons though. I want to re-read them more closely. At the moment though I'm not getting anything but null about Robz himself.

So the wagons were smaller than I thought on a re-read. But - that "early wagons don't succeed" is now becoming the new understanding of things, so that means small town points to everyone who voted for Robz or Jimmmmm. Mayhap the most town points I have ever given out at once!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2013, 12:55:49 pm »

Think about whether this is actually a good idea or not. I think in the past pick your poison setups, we determined it was not. It helps the Mafia determine who has which PR.

I haven't read any past games with a similar set-up to this one, but I think Robz makes a good point. Since there's not a way to get that info to the IC privately and let him interpret it without everyone knowing, it seems like it would give way too much information to the mafia.

So, Robz, is manda an IC too?

This may actually be slight townpoints for manda. None for Robz because Robz, but the line of thinking is not a bad one.

Sounds right to me.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2013, 01:37:16 pm »

Ugh my schedule is such a mess.... I'm finally here and catching up. Post(s) to follow shortly.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2013, 01:44:32 pm »

Okay so to answer the pr question thingy, for me it would depend on the scum team I was with. If I was with a team I thought could win I would chose no additional powers, if I was with a team I thought was very strategic but not so good at mid day communication I would pick day talk, and if I was with a team I though was really going to need help I would pick recruit.

I haven't looked at everyone in this game and decided that, I made my decision looking at powers. I'm not going to call anyone out for being a good or bad mafia player but there are people with better records than others, their are people I have better chemistry with, I see no reason to go through this game and figure that out and say so.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2013, 01:46:44 pm »

Discrediting the IC! This is Voltaire's fullproof way of finding scum.

What a laughably easy Day 1. Vote: Jimm

I like it! vote: jimm

What about this? Was this vote serious?

Yes, it is day one and my first serious mafia game in some time, the vote was serious I found robz argument to be somewhat valid and the way Jimm was acting to be somewhat scummy so I voted.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:07 pm »

I haven't looked at everyone in this game and decided that, I made my decision looking at powers. I'm not going to call anyone out for being a good or bad mafia player but there are people with better records than others, their are people I have better chemistry with, I see no reason to go through this game and figure that out and say so.

Why not? You've provided a super vague answer that doesn't really answer the question at all. I'd say if that's what you're going with then refusing to go through at least some scenarios is akin to refusing to answer the question. Not that we have to do something just because the IC said so, but I'd prefer an actual refusal to vagueness that you can hide behind.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »

I'm with mcmc on figuring out the mafia PR choice thing.

It's worth looking at again when we have some dead scum and dead PRs, of course, but for now, let's actually scumhunt.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2013, 01:55:12 pm »

#discredittheIC

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »

Wow a lot to read since the last time I had a chance to check it.....

Not sure how I'd rank all the roles yet; I'll need to go back and look really closely at the setup, but I think daytalk is definitely the strongest role there. I know that, if I were scum, I'd be really nervous about trying to play out the day without a chance to openly rethink strategy with my partner, and daytalk would significantly decrease my stress level. Other than that, I'm not sure, but I think I agree with, ummm.... (not sure who said it lemme go look).... that adding a bunch of scum PRs wouldn't really be worth adding a ton of town PRs as well.

Also (and I say this feeling like I'm at a real disadvantage here because I have very little meta information to go off of and DEFINITELY don't have time to go back and examine it all. Such is life I guess), I am not sure I see the value in an extended discussion about whether someone is acting like town!themselves or scum!themselves, because an experienced player is likely knowledgable enough about their own meta to tailor their behavior to the self they want to come off as. That sort of discussion makes a lot of sense in a face-to-face mafia game, where people are having to think on the fly and it's easy to read panic in voices and body language, but this format allows people to be so calculating that I have a hard time seeing meta-analysis as being particularly helfpul...

manda2014

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »

Well then, I'll try to be a good IC for you all.

Before we really get started, I would like everyone to answer the following question:

If you were mafia in this game, which (if any) powers would you have picked?

Everyone's answer should include his preferred set of powers (as mafia). Don't just say "well, this looks neat, but maybe I would have also chosen that."

I would have chosen Daytalk and JOAT. The other ones don't seem worth creating another town PR.

I guess this is the post I meant, in reference to scum PRs not being worth giving more power to town.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 70  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 20 queries.