Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 139  All

Author Topic: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (GAME OVER - MAFIA WINS!)  (Read 335769 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IV: Within These Estate Walls (DAY 2 START!)
« Reply #1275 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »

WEAK argument. I was not lynched. But, as I've said before, it was really through no fault of my own. Short of actually self-voting, I did just about everything I could TO get lynched. So arguing based on the oUTCOME of my actions rather than my actions themselves? You can do better.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:46 pm »

Edit: O's response was SO MUCH BETTER. This is why I'll never be the master.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »

@joth:  I'd lynch Green Opal/Axxle2, probably.

O : Why didn't you do more to defend Axxle if you knew he was town?  You seem to want all of the credit but none of the blame.  You had a town read on him, but sat on your hands and camped a vote on a player that wasn't much of a cantidate for the days lynch, and you neither supported a popular wagon nor even chimed in substantively.  This seems very suspicious to me, though players who know you might chime in and say to give you a pass.

I'll reiterate, doc should be on SFS rather than Tables tonight.  I actually recommend acting that way with an 80% chance or so, there's virtue in being unpredictable.  Jailkeep,60/40

*Golf claps*.... Popsofctown, master of the Freudian trap? Your question confuses me. I didn't defend Axxle that strongly because I didn't know he was town, only suspected? It wasn't like TINAS in M1, where I got a major read due to Tina's playstyle. It was just very clearly a straw-case against him because Axxle really hadn't played very differently than anyone else yet we claimed he was acting crazily. And like I've said, this SFS/Captain Frisk thing, + your ridiculousness had me well occupied with bandwagons/bandwagons I wanted to start that were worth pursuing.

You're trying to give me a FoS for not voting for a VT, just saying.
I'm FoSing you for failing to defend a VT.
You're still not accounting for how useless you're being.  Since for some reason I'm always juxtaposed against you, here's this : I took a strong stance on the inevitable choice between Axxle and Jothenoah day 1, favoring Axxle.  You didn't.  You parked your vote and did nothing.
How could you have no preference?  Did you know they were both town?  Because that's what's connecting the dots for me right now.

SFS is such a cute poster.  Why did the public at large need to know how many shots you had, SFS?  Did you think about it? Sigh.
Sigh back.  I did think about it.  If I were to just say "I investigated", then I'm either cop, or the one-shot cop. If I don't specify, there is a bigger target on my head as cop than a guy who's already used up his  special power.  IF there is a doctor, and he thinks I'm the cop, then he has to protect me every night (at least that's what I'd do, if I was the doc).  This way he knows he doesn't have to waste that protection.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:54 pm »

WEAK argument. I was not lynched. But, as I've said before, it was really through no fault of my own. Short of actually self-voting, I did just about everything I could TO get lynched. So arguing based on the oUTCOME of my actions rather than my actions themselves? You can do better.

Damnit J, you make it hard to defend you

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 11, 2012, 10:58:47 pm »

The weird thing about today (in-game) is that there are really no drums, no bandwagons, no evidence of a mafia train at all, despite that there are obviously many scum about. I really don't know what to do about it.

How many town are we at anyway? Did the double kill put us at an even number? How close to LyLo? Is No Lynch a thing?

I think we're all slightly puzzled.  We can't be throwing votes around like we could when we were sitting with 15 people.  I'm just rejoicing at being alive on day 2, which is a fresh experience for me.

As for your second question, I'm sure you can do the math as well as I, but for the benefit of those who are unsure:

- We have 12 people alive.  3 town are dead.  We were guaranteed at least 11 town, and at least 2 scum, so we have between 8 and 10 town left.
- Assuming worst case possible (8 town, 4 mafia).  We can lose today if we
-- mislynch
-- had 2 town with night kill powers who kill town
-- fail to protect mafia night kill

This feels unlikely to me - particularly the double vigalante failure.  If we have a serial killer, then we have no more than 3 mafia, so even if we kill 4 people today (lynch, serial kill, mafia kill, batman failure), it would be 4 vs 3 vs 1, and we're still alive (barely)

The no lynch scenarios get complicated depending on whether you assume serial killer or vig, and whether or not any mafia die, but no matter what, we aren't losing today.  The uncertainty around SK vs. Vig makes me lean toward not racking up too many nights.

Enough information:

I want to provide some analysis, but I'm just not sure I have any.   The best I have is: "everyone who voted for Axxle looks slightly scummy for one reason or another", and that isn't particularly helpful.

I don't really like Robz's subtle push to assume that all of the mafia voted for Axxle.  I also don't buy the Glooble theory that we managed to lynch Axxle1 with no mafia assistance.

Where is TINAS with his cop claim to break open the day?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:35 pm »

Well, I feel much better knowing that my lynching, should it be my destiny, will not lead to a de facto mafia victory.

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:04 pm »

@Axxle2

My suspicion is because, well, I'm good at getting people killed. As long as I don't target them, what do they care?

Either that, or they felt as vote #1 on Axxle1, I would be an easy target D2.

The problem with the "why didn't they kill X" argument, is that it can be made strongly against anybody alive, with good reasons to back up the question. But as Town, I really can't give a satisfactory answer, because I don't know.

The only people who could answer that question about themselves with any certainty are the Mafia themselves.

Moreover, what's known is that they DID target 1 of 2 people. It seems to me that it would be easier to figure out the motivation AGAINST 1 of 2 people, than the motivation as to why they DIDN'T target 12 other individuals.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:03 pm »

The problem with the "why didn't they kill X" argument, is that it can be made strongly against anybody alive, with good reasons to back up the question. But as Town, I really can't give a satisfactory answer, because I don't know.

The only people who could answer that question about themselves with any certainty are the Mafia themselves.

Dammit Galz.  Don't say that until after the mafia have responded.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 11, 2012, 11:04:24 pm »

Ok, you know what? Today needs a little less conversation, a little more action please.

Vote: Robz888

He/him

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:18 pm »

Dammit Galz.  Don't say that until after the mafia have responded.

I disagree: I know for a fact they didn't kill me because I'm too fun to have around.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:56 pm »

Ok, you know what? Today needs a little less conversation, a little more action please.

+1 for the song

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:29 pm »

I'm going to bed.  I don't want to use up all my cute posts.  Have fun everyone.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:10 pm »

And jotheonah breaks the Day 2 voting ice!

(Apologies in advance for reduced flavor - I have a very busy couple of workdays coming up.  Will ramp back up the flavor as soon as possible.)

Vote Count 2-1

Robz888 (1): jotheonah

Not voting {11}: Galzria, Dsell, Robz888, Captain_Frisk, O, Glooble, popsofctown, Tables, Grujah, SwitchedFromStarcraft, Axxle

With 12 alive, it takes 7 to lynch

Lynch deadline: Monday, June 25, 9:59 a.m. EDT

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:55 am »

Terrific.

A couple thoughts. First, uh, why does everyone trust Galzria? Seriously, like 3 people just said, "Oh Galzria, that friendly ol' mislynchin' sonofagun. What a townie."

I continue to concur with much of Galzria's analysis while emphatically disagreeing with his ultimate vote. He's not my top suspect, but let's please stop acquitting him automatically. (Note: I have to do that too! I acquit him far too often. This is a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do thing).

Now I'm saying, again, that Jo is still the most likely mafia. He's right the weird play=mafia, at least in theory. In execution, he looks to me like he was making an effort to be weird, and oh look, weird people aren't ever the mafia. One of these days, a mafia member is going to act totally crazy and expect to always be acquitted because he's just being crazy. I mean, it kind of works for O already.

Gloobe and Grujah continue to give me bad vibes whenever they speak. So these are the three people I am focused on.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 12, 2012, 01:21:08 am »

I find the differences in opinion/play of Axxle1, a confirmed vanilla townie, and Axxle2, interesting.

Or is that analysis frowned upon given the situation?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:47 am »

It's fine.  Also, axxle1 got lynched and axxle2 is trying to learn from that mistake.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 12, 2012, 01:28:18 am »

Robz's post is truth.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 12, 2012, 01:28:39 am »

I am at a bar

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:03 am »

Robz, as usual, you and I agree on a lot. I don't like being acquitted so easily and in such an off-hand manner any more than you do. It's just uncanny and unsettling.   I just don't know how to change it.

I voted for Axxle1. I more or less drove the wagon. It's rather disconcerting (and perhaps disheartening) that our community would just set me aside, assured in my innocence. They should be considering EVERYBODY, and not writing anybody off.

Mafia Record:

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:21 am »

Robz, as usual, you and I agree on a lot. I don't like being acquitted so easily and in such an off-hand manner any more than you do. It's just uncanny and unsettling.   I just don't know how to change it.

I voted for Axxle1. I more or less drove the wagon. It's rather disconcerting (and perhaps disheartening) that our community would just set me aside, assured in my innocence. They should be considering EVERYBODY, and not writing anybody off.

Thank you! Yes! Exactly. Now stop doing whatever you're doing. Stop causing others to let you off the hook! People, Galzria isn't letting himself off the hook. The rest of you are!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 12, 2012, 01:31:23 am »

Also, axxle1 got lynched and axxle2 is trying to learn from that mistake.

FOS at Axxle for making an argument in mafia that for once is compelling enough to convince me.  :o

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:58 am »

(Sorry about the long post guys)

So I wanted to analyze Axxle1's lynch, but I hoped to go for a different angle. In general, a lot of suspicion is put on the final voters in a mislynch, especially the hammerer. The first couple voters who "drove the wagon" also get a lot of flack. This makes the middle of the pack look like a nice place to hide. So I went back and looked at what drove Captain_Frisk, SwitchedfromStarcraft, and popsofctown to give Axxle1 their vote.

Captain Frisk: Here is his post where he votes for Axxle.

I'm watching Axxle too, and have requested (in my post at #807) player opinions on Galzria's post at #760.  I think Galz may be on to something, but apparently no one else does, though echoed my request in your post at 854. It seems small, but small is all I've got, because the things that are BIG indicators (Jo's comment about self voting) inklings are all I have to go on at my skill level.

Are you trying to antagonize RobZ again? (emphasis mine in quote).

That said I am also Axxle suspicious.  In the interest of seeing where this goes:

Unvote

Vote: Axxle

He is allegedly in favor of quick voting J and getting on with life per #754.  I've just gone through his posts - and I see... almost nothing.  I don't even really agree with Galzria that #754 puts him strongly out of line with his previous request for game meat vs. mafia theory.  Apart from a helpful article, his posts are mostly 1-2 liners offering little in the way of things to call him out on.

Similar to DSell accusations, he's gotten involved with the Pops and J bandwagons - even voting twice on J for emphasis.

Then he damn near immediately backed off this morning when it started to look like J wasn't going to be lynched, and we were starting to take a serious look at how that divided the town.  If he felt strongly enough to double vote for J, why back off so suddenly?  If DSell is making him nervous - why not vote for him?

So he votes in the interest of seeing where things go. He also seems somewhat suspicious of Axxle, but very recently before this vote he had stated, "Axxle did post a n00b friendly article in the beginning of this game.  I don't know if I agree that he's been trying to control the game and mold our behavior to his standards." This post also indicates that SFS had been getting somewhat suspicious.

I think this is interesting because it looks like a scumhunting, "let's see who jumps on this bandwagon" type of vote, not a "oh this guy is definitely mafia we gotta lynch him" vote. He lists things that make Axxle1 suspicious but admits he doesn't have much on him. However, he never unvoted. It looks like he either began to believe his own case or he was convinced by someone else (potentially mafia).

SFS: I won't quote the post where he votes because it is just a simple agreement with C_F's post. Problem is, C_F's post was admittedly thin on damning evidence.

To me, it seems like C_F thought he had enough evidence for a vote but perhaps not a lynching vote (correct me if I'm wrong here) at that point. I'm not sure if SFS gets that, he seems to just agree and be ready to pull the trigger. But with very little explanation given for the vote, it's hard to tell. Unremarkable vote in the very middle of the pack. Important to note that SFS's suspicion (and C_F's) arose only after Galz's post condemning Axxle1.

popsofctown: Man, these three votes were rapid-fire. All on page 36. Here is pops' vote post, short as usual.

Theorel, all my votes this game have been serious, except for my vote where I pretended to copy SFS, that was a trollvote.

This vote is serious. 

Vote: Axxle

His posting has read like a referee and not like a player.

So...ok I guess I just don't get this. Posts like this are what left me really unconvinced about the Axxle wagon. Axxle posted some articles early to help the noobs. He stifled humor. I definitely didn't like these things but it seemed like he mostly just wanted to get down to business but was a little gruff about it. I personally didn't read the articles because I didn't want to be told how to play the game. But POPS has been the main person who's looked like a referee to me. I don't need to rehash the things he said day 1 that really bothered me. But I didn't see that from Axxle so much, certainly not enough to make me really suspicious.

But ok, enough of my opinion. Pops cites this reason for his vote but does not explain it or offer any evidence of it. Furthermore, even if it's true and there's a lot of evidence, why does that mean he's mafia? Pops, was it simply a style of play that bothered you? Because I would argue that that is not a good reason to board a bandwagon that's really going. You said yourself, "Lynch mafia, not scum." How does playing like a referee make Axxle1 mafia (well obviously it doesn't) and would you please explain your meaning or evidence from that statement?

I don't know if any of these guys are mafia, but I don't want them to get off easy because they are in spots where we don't usually search for scum. This does make me a bit more suspicious of pops and C_F, though I believe SFS' roleclaim from earlier. I'd love thoughts on my analysis from others too.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 12, 2012, 02:40:00 am »

Oh and with that post I DEFINITELY do not mean to exonerate any of the other Axxle voters. But it seems like most of them have already had some analysis done and I wanted to give a new perspective.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:23 am »

Terrific.

A couple thoughts. First, uh, why does everyone trust Galzria? Seriously, like 3 people just said, "Oh Galzria, that friendly ol' mislynchin' sonofagun. What a townie."

I continue to concur with much of Galzria's analysis while emphatically disagreeing with his ultimate vote. He's not my top suspect, but let's please stop acquitting him automatically. (Note: I have to do that too! I acquit him far too often. This is a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do thing).

Now I'm saying, again, that Jo is still the most likely mafia. He's right the weird play=mafia, at least in theory. In execution, he looks to me like he was making an effort to be weird, and oh look, weird people aren't ever the mafia. One of these days, a mafia member is going to act totally crazy and expect to always be acquitted because he's just being crazy. I mean, it kind of works for O already.

Gloobe and Grujah continue to give me bad vibes whenever they speak. So these are the three people I am focused on.

I need more than that, bud. I need to know what specific weird actions of mine are actually something the mafia would do and why.  What you just said up there "OMG he's acting weird so he won't get lynched" is just as bad as saying "OMG he's acting town so he won't get lynched" about a pro-town player. Also, Galzria just used the same weak argument, so no points for originality even.

He/him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #1299 on: June 12, 2012, 10:21:37 am »

So let's say Galz is Mafia. He leads a bandwagon on a townie who, prior to his initial post, did not have any more suspicion on him than anyone else. He is immediately joined by the guy who everyone thinks is mafia. This does not seem like the kind of strong scum play I've come to expect from scumGalz. On the other hand, it worked. Six more people voted for Axxle, at least some of them were town.

Galz is an advanced player, it's possible he figured stay in the middle of the pack, don't do anything to arouse suspicion, help out an existing bandwagon when one comes up was such an obvious mafia strategy that the best way to avoid suspicion was to come out boldly, guns blazing for someone and apologize when that someone came up town. It's also possible that he didn't think anyone would join him on the Axxle bandwagon and just wanted his vote to be somewhere innocuous when jo flipped town. So you're right, we shouldn't exonerate Galz. There are plenty of scenarios in which he could still be scum.

jo: voting for Robz for continuing to attack you looks scummy. Care to make a case against him that doesn't rely on the knowledge that you are innocent, since you are the only one who possesses that knowledge?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 139  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.