Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rats/Watchtower ftw  (Read 1074 times)

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
Rats/Watchtower ftw
« on: December 11, 2013, 06:15:39 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Fishing Village, Village, Watchtower, Pirate Ship, Rats, Hunting Party, Journeyman, Mountebank, Tribute, Goons
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20131211/log.50bfbb9ae4b0a380e35fa23b.1386800824183.txt

So Rats/Watchtower is a thing.  I don't remember what thread it was, but it was mentioned earlier this week.  If you have a WT in hand, Rats becomes +2 cards, +1 action, trash a card in hand, which is sick.  But can you line them up? 

Can you do it here?  Well, I got some early luck lining them up (and in hitting $6 T4, incidentally), but the main reason it works so well is that WT is already desirable.  You've got actions galore including FV, a disappearing village, strong terminals, and the WT defends against Goons's discard, AND, of course, Goons and Watchtower are good friends.  (It defends against Monty as well, but that wasn't an issue here.)  In addition, the engine has a huge payoff in the Goons points, so trashing is very helpful. 

Starting T10 I had my whole deck in my hand almost every turn with basically nowhere to go but up.  There's no way that would be possible without trashing down.

So, I'm convinced that Rats is correct here, but I'm not sure I did the right thing in buying my first one T3 without any WT in deck.  Does my buy order look correct?  Probably the tribute was a mistake - i mean, the actions might have come in handy, when it's just +4 actions that doesn't hurt the draw to X very badly, and his deck had all ten startign cards, and I didn't really need the draw - I could have gotten monty I suppose; my main reason not to do that was that the game was gonna end soon, and, in retrospect, the copper isn't hard to skip with HP and Journeyman.

Anyway, I had fun and wanted to share my epic win.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Rats/Watchtower ftw
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:05:33 am »
+2

So, I'm convinced that Rats is correct here, but I'm not sure I did the right thing in buying my first one T3 without any WT in deck.  Does my buy order look correct?

I'd definitely open Watchtower/Rats. The sooner you trash down the better. Get a 2nd WT on T3, then FVs all the way until you can afford Goons, though I'd probably pick up a Mountebank at exactly $5, especially if my opponent isn't going for WT-Rats himself. Get a second Rats (don't buy it) but probably not a 3rd one, so don't play Rats without WT in hand (that's why you want a second WT asap) after the first time.

On T10 you buy a Platinum and a Tribute. Especially the Platinum makes zero sense, you don't even want it in your deck, to the point that if I'd somehow misclick on it I'd be delighted to have Watchtower in hand and trash it. You really just want to buy double Goons here (double Goons+Village if you had 15 rather than 14).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:19:17 am by SheCantSayNo »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Rats/Watchtower ftw
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:18:24 am »
+1

I might skip MB, depending on my opponent's strategy.
Hunting Party would be nice to get the Goons in hand consistently.

FV/WT is a small combo on its own and with Rats it's just insanity.
And then you have Goons/WT going on!!!

Probably add a a couple of WTs so you can use some for draw and some for trashing incoming Coppers and Curses.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.